Roommate Cancels question

panzafit

So, my brother would like to join us on an upcoming cruise.  Unfortunately he won't have a roommate.  I advised him to go ahead and book a "ghost" roommate since it is several hundred dollars cheaper for him to just pay for 2 people rather then 1 person in a room.  I know that if there is a no show there is no penalty (or at least that's how it use to be). 

So, if he is interested in getting a drink package....or The Key, what would be the best way to advise him since both people in the room have to purchase.  How does that work if both people get a drink package but then 1 is a no show?

2 minutes ago, panzafit said:

So, my brother would like to join us on an upcoming cruise.  Unfortunately he won't have a roommate.  I advised him to go ahead and book a "ghost" roommate since it is several hundred dollars cheaper for him to just pay for 2 people rather then 1 person in a room.  I know that if there is a no show there is no penalty (or at least that's how it use to be). 

So, if he is interested in getting a drink package....or The Key, what would be the best way to advise him since both people in the room have to purchase.  How does that work if both people get a drink package but then 1 is a no show?

If the "ghost" were under 21, they would not need to purchase anything, so it would not matter.

10 minutes ago, rukkian said:

If the "ghost" were under 21, they would not need to purchase anything, so it would not matter.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!  That's why I like this board.  I didn't even think of that.  You, my friend, are a genius...lol.  I'll tell him to make his ghost under 21.  Thanks!

Edited by panzafit

3 hours ago, panzafit said:

Lots of cruises Royal has BOGO at some % off. Book this as a single and you get the discount with only single port fees, taxes, no need to game the system.

3 hours ago, panzafit said:

... I advised him to go ahead and book a "ghost" roommate since it is several hundred dollars cheaper for him to just pay for 2 people rather then 1 person in a room. ...

This should not be the case.  Call RC to get accurate pricing.  I think the website is not reflecting the proper fake discount for a single.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, molly361 said:

It could be the case if he is booking a guarantee cabin.  I tried to book a guarantee cabin and it would not let me book it as a single passenger.  I had to put in a second person to get that rate.  

Thanks, forgot about that guarantee thing.

• Like 1

Make the ghost be 5yo.... that way they don't have to get The Key (all six and older have to) or the drink package. 

Benefit of booking a ghost versus a single -- if you do end up with a roommate down the road, the pricing is already set in stone, and you're just changing a name.

• Haha 1

I booked a cruise on the Ovation for myself and will be cruising alone.  RCCI does not offer any discounts for single cruisers and I was charged the same as the cost for 2 passengers.  The only saving is that port charges and tips are only charged for 1 passenger instead of two.  Might want to rethink booking a "ghost" passenger because you'll wind up paying the extra port charges & tips for the "no show".  Best Wishes 

2 hours ago, msjazzymiss said:

I booked a cruise on the Ovation for myself and will be cruising alone.  RCCI does not offer any discounts for single cruisers and I was charged the same as the cost for 2 passengers.  The only saving is that port charges and tips are only charged for 1 passenger instead of two.  Might want to rethink booking a "ghost" passenger because you'll wind up paying the extra port charges & tips for the "no show".  Best Wishes 

When there is a no-show, the port taxes are refunded and there are no tips assessed....