Capt. Mercer and his Amsterdam 2019 GWV blog

Copper10-8

For those who are interested, Captain Jonathan Mercer took command of Amsterdam on 22 Jan 2019 to commence another Grand World Voyage. Today, they are in Santa Marta, Colombia, getting ready for their Panama Canal transit the day after tomorrow

The captain's blog can be seen at

http://captainjonathan.com/santa-marta-colombia/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, sppunk said:

Diane posted in her blog he told her he was invited back and agreed to lead the 2020 WC. 🙂

Capt. Mercer has been discussing retirement for a couple of years now. Good to hear he's sticking it out for another one after this GWV. Sure his lovely wife Karen is a happy camper! :classic_wink:

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 6:18 PM, sppunk said:

Diane posted in her blog he told her he was invited back and agreed to lead the 2020 WC. 🙂

Confirmed yesterday in his blog - One more Grand World Voyage in 2020 prior to his retirement :classic_smile:

"This was to be my last canal transit, in 2020 we will go south, around South America and through the Magellan Straits"

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 5:34 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Confirmed yesterday in his blog - One more Grand World Voyage in 2020 prior to his retirement :classic_smile:

"This was to be my last canal transit, in 2020 we will go south, around South America and through the Magellan Straits"

I'll believe that he retires when he actually does.  When he was Master of the Nieuw Amsterdam in her very early years of service, Captain Mercer attended a Q&A and indicated that he would be retiring soon.  

Whenever he does choose to retire, it will be a loss for HAL and her guests.  Captain Mercer is a gentleman, obviously a fine mariner, and very guest oriented.

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I'll believe that he retires when he actually does.  When he was Master of the Nieuw Amsterdam in her very early years of service, Captain Mercer attended a Q&A and indicated that he would be retiring soon.  

Whenever he does choose to retire, it will be a loss for HAL and her guests.  Captain Mercer is a gentleman, obviously a fine mariner, and very guest oriented.

Agreed 100% on the fine captain! As far as when he will retire (my money is still on after the 2020 GWV), here's a hint: the Mrs. will have some input also and she really likes the GWVs and everything that comes with them :classic_wink:

Edited by Copper10-8

Captain Jonathan Mercer was my FIRST captain - Oosterdam July 2005 - on my very first cruise.  I've been fortunate to sail with him many times since. I've been following his blog with so much enjoyment. His wife and family are with him on the present voyage and he is enjoying every minute it seems. I thought this was probably his last cruise before retirement, but the news that he'll be back gives me hope that he might still be on Amsterdam when I board this August 2019 for my birthday cruise!!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Captain Jonathan Mercer was my FIRST captain - Oosterdam July 2005 - on my very first cruise.  I've been fortunate to sail with him many times since. I've been following his blog with so much enjoyment. His wife and family are with him on the present voyage and he is enjoying every minute it seems. I thought this was probably his last cruise before retirement, but the news that he'll be back gives me hope that he might still be on Amsterdam when I board this August 2019 for my birthday cruise!!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway. 

Capt. Mercer will be on vac in August; it will be the other AMDM senior captain, Fred Eversen