Suggestions for first timer NCL (on the Getaway)

sueandtimj

In March, we will be sailing on the Getaway.  We've sailed a few times with Carnival, but this will be our first on NCL.  Our 20 year old sons will be traveling with us.  Any tips, suggestions or secrets to share about  things to definitely do/see on the ship.  My husband and I have the drink package, but we didn't get the dining package.

Starting to count the days!

My favorite entertainment on the ship is Howl at the Moon, a dueling piano show in Headliners on deck 6.

But also great is Million Dollar Quartet, the headline show in the theater.

Also check out the seating areas on deck 8 along the Waterfront. It's a great place to get a drink and sit and watch the ocean go by.

In the evening the buffet has crepe station and you can get a custom made crepe. I love the Nutella crepe with whipped cream topping. Yum. 

I haven't seen the Cirque Dreams and Steam Show, but if you do go check out the entry hall and look in all the drawers and shelves! I think you can see them even if you don't see the show.

If you're not afraid of heights the ropes course is great, be aware you need closed toe shoes.

1 hour ago, justhappy said:

If you're not afraid of heights the ropes course is great, be aware you need closed toe shoes.

and closed heal. They require it.  Rock climbing wall is fun too, and so are the water slides.

The shows were great - make reservations online NOW for guaranteed seating. 

The food was average to subpar. The crepes were overcooked (look at my review in the signature).

2 hours ago, justhappy said:

My favorite entertainment on the ship is Howl at the Moon, a dueling piano show in Headliners on deck 6.

But also great is Million Dollar Quartet, the headline show in the theater.

Also check out the seating areas on deck 8 along the Waterfront. It's a great place to get a drink and sit and watch the ocean go by.

In the evening the buffet has crepe station and you can get a custom made crepe. I love the Nutella crepe with whipped cream topping. Yum. 

I haven't seen the Cirque Dreams and Steam Show, but if you do go check out the entry hall and look in all the drawers and shelves! I think you can see them even if you don't see the show.

Thank you!  We made reservations for the Million Dollar Quartet and Burn the Floor.  Once on board, can we reserve the comedy shows or the piano bar or are they just first come first serve at the door?  

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

and closed heal. They require it.  Rock climbing wall is fun too, and so are the water slides.

The shows were great - make reservations online NOW for guaranteed seating. 

The food was average to subpar. The crepes were overcooked (look at my review in the signature).

Thanks, I know my kids will definitely want to do this!  I will make sure they have sneakers!

5 hours ago, sueandtimj said:

In March, we will be sailing on the Getaway.  We've sailed a few times with Carnival, but this will be our first on NCL.  Our 20 year old sons will be traveling with us.  Any tips, suggestions or secrets to share about  things to definitely do/see on the ship.  My husband and I have the drink package, but we didn't get the dining package. Starting to count the days!

While the activities will be done at different times, the Freestyle Dailies on our live post link will give you an idea what happens on the Getaway. 

10 hours ago, sueandtimj said:

Thank you!  We made reservations for the Million Dollar Quartet and Burn the Floor.  Once on board, can we reserve the comedy shows or the piano bar or are they just first come first serve at the door?  

Howl at the Moon is definitely first come first serve. I've never done the comedy shows, so can't help you there. Also, you may know this, but you can sign a waiver for your sons so they can have wine and beer on the ship if you so choose.

12 hours ago, sueandtimj said:

Yes! you can make reservations for the comedy shows once onboard.

And Howl at the Moon runs for several hours so people come and go as they please.

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

While the activities will be done at different times, the Freestyle Dailies on our live post link will give you an idea what happens on the Getaway. 

Are you a travel agent?  I noticed your in dozens of answers...I cruise the questions when I can't sleep and can't help but notice your perching everywhere LOL

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, sueandtimj said:

In March, we will be sailing on the Getaway.  We've sailed a few times with Carnival, but this will be our first on NCL.  Our 20 year old sons will be traveling with us.  Any tips, suggestions or secrets to share about  things to definitely do/see on the ship.  My husband and I have the drink package, but we didn't get the dining package.

Starting to count the days!

Have FUN, because there is plenty!

On 1/26/2019 at 10:11 AM, myjillian said:

Are you a travel agent?  I noticed your in dozens of answers...I cruise the questions when I can't sleep and can't help but notice your perching everywhere LOL

The Bird is not a travel agent. 

We we just enjoy cruising. Our live posts (like the link you quoted) attempt to answer the most frequently asked questions on CC in a single thread. Next up is the Escape followed by the Harmony. 

On 1/25/2019 at 6:54 PM, sueandtimj said:

I think justhappy hit the highlights I can think of.  They also have an escape room that you can make reservations for once on board.  It is kind of cheesy, but if you are into that type of thing, it is something to do on a sea day.  

In regards to Howl is is offered on Days 1, 4, and 7 from 8:30 - 12:30.  It is also offered on Day 5 from 10:45 -1:15.  Earlier in the cruise and night it is busier.  Later in the evening and in the cruise it is not very busy.  At 8:30 on Day 1 it will be standing room only.  If you want good seats on Day 1 I would get there 20-30 minutes early. On Day 7 it is pretty quiet as people are packing, etc. 

They have two different commedians that alternate.  The  comedy shows in Headliners are on Day 2 and 3 at 7:00, 9:00 and 11:00 (18+ show).  The 7:00 and 11:00 show is the same commedian with somewhat different material.  The 9:00 show is the second commedian.  On Day 2 the 1st commedian does the 7:00 and 11:00 show while the second commedian does only the 9:00 show.  On day 3, the second commedian does the 7:00 and 11:00 show, while the fist commedian only does the 9:00 show. 

On day 4 they have both commedians in the main theater doing completely different material. They do two shows 7:30 and 9:30 (18+).

On days 5 and 6 they have commedy again in headliners at 7:00 and 9:00 with each commedian doing one show.  The 7:00 and 9:00 shows are repeats of the 7:00 and 9:00 shows on Days 2 and 3, so you probably only need to plan seeing each one once.  If you cannont get the reservation you want, they open the doors for walkins 10 or 15 minutes before the show. We had no problem waiting for 15 minutes in line and getting in that way.  Reservations are preferred if you know when you want to go and were easy to get on Day 1.