SD Mediterranean 5 night cruises,truly representative of SD?

Tillylovesseabourn

We have been looking at SD for some time, but as my husband is very tall we have always been put off by concerns over smaller amount of space in cabins, low head height and ship size. We are currently looking at a short cruise in the summer to give SD a try. Do taller chaps find the ship claustrophobic or is the problem in our heads? Also, do the shorter 5 night cruises give a true representation of an SD experience? Thanks 

3 hours ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

We have been looking at SD for some time, but as my husband is very tall we have always been put off by concerns over smaller amount of space in cabins, low head height and ship size. We are currently looking at a short cruise in the summer to give SD a try. Do taller chaps find the ship claustrophobic or is the problem in our heads? Also, do the shorter 5 night cruises give a true representation of an SD experience? Thanks 

Hi Tilly.  I remember you from the Seabourn boards.  We have sailed SeaDream for a while now and I am 6' 4".  The bathrooms are tight but very pretty and useable and the shower is much better imho than on Seabourn Sojourn.  The beds are short for someone my height but then my feet generally hang over the end of every bed since I was 14.  We have only done one 5 night SD cruise but it was one of the best ever. We still stay in contact with passengers from that trip.  In short, yes, you will get a true representation of SD style and service.

43 minutes ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Jim, thanks for your comments. Hubby is 6'7, hence my concern. Is the shower in the bathroom over a bath or are both separate? Thanks 

Shower is the only area, no tub.  Shower size will be ok for him I bet.

Hi Tilly,

I am also Jim’s height and whacked the top of my head a couple of times on a couple of fire doors along the public areas.  Your husband should duck when passing through any public doorways.  I was a slow learner...

But cabins are ok for tall folks (though the toilet is a bit cramped).  We did find the bed (two twins together) rather narrow.  I hear that they have “bed extenders” they can add to make the beds longer.  I have no clue what they are.  Inquire with SD about them.

Assuming good weather, you will likely spend little time in your cabin.  SD has the best pool deck going, just ~18 loungers and a couple of tables around a nice pool.  We never use the pool decks on other lines, but do on SD (much to the chagrin of the other pax...).  Not to mention the bali beds and the Top of the Yacht bar.  SD tender service is the best.  We’ve had them take just us when it looked like there was no one else coming.

It really is more like being on a yacht than a cruise ship.

And remember to ask if you want something.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband is also 6'4" and he had no more trouble than usual on our SD cruise. The shower  is never is above his head, but it's usable. The bed was fine for him. Most king or queen cruise line beds are 80 inches so at 6'7" your hubby will need to stay up close to the headboard. Getting on and off the tenders always requires watching my husband's head on every cruise line. I've had to watch my own head quite a few times at 5'9".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. Two tall people here. No problem. The short voyage gives you a nice idea but obviously things do get cut out. I just had a group of clients in a three night in the Caribbean and they loved enough enough that I have them on a group special sailing the Mediterranean in May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk