Formal nights Grand Princess

Lisas mom

I am sure this has been answered somewhere else but if my husband does not want to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights, and he wants to dine in the specialty restaurants, does he still have to wear a jacket and tie in the specialty restaurant on formal night?  Thanks for your help.

7 hours ago, Lisas mom said:

I am sure this has been answered somewhere else but if my husband does not want to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights, and he wants to dine in the specialty restaurants, does he still have to wear a jacket and tie in the specialty restaurant on formal night?  Thanks for your help.

No, not required.

9 hours ago, Lisas mom said:

if my husband does not want to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights, and he wants to dine in the specialty restaurants, does he still have to wear a jacket and tie in the specialty restaurant on formal night? 

Leave jackets and ties at home if he wishes to do so.  This applies to both formal nights and casual nights.  

No one will care.

Tell him to enjoy himself and not to worry. 

You probably have the right plan for what you want - casual wear on formal nights.   Also check out the buffet food, as some of the formal night Main Dining Room options are usually also available in the Horizon Court.  Beef Wellington is typically there if on the menu for the MDR.

I assume you plan on Anytime dining as well.

Don't be surprised if you see folks in formal wear,   we still do and rarely go to the mdr any more... we do the other venues including the buffet all dressed up.  Food is often better for us outside the mdr. 

2 hours ago, anzore said:

Just waiting to disembark the Grand. There were many on formal night not in ties in jackets in every dining room. Do not be afraid to feel under dressed. Enjoy

Actually there is no reason to feel under dressed if you are wearing what the venue permits.  Dress comfortable and enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

if you are wearing what the venue permits.  Dress comfortable and enjoy your cruise.

“permits” is a slippery word when used in this context. Makes it sound almost regulatory when it is not. 

Despite all of the cries to the contrary, all of the dress suggestions made both here and on the Princess website are just that, suggestions

Be comfortable and enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 2

What's really nice is that Princess has relaxed their dress code to allow no jackets in either the DR & specialty restaurants.

Also, they're not required for the repeater's party either. 

Now if we can only succeed in applying the dress codes to women as well as men, it would be great.

ie- shorts being allowed for women on casual evenings but not men in the DR. :classic_angry:

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Wearing my tux on March 20  late seating. Looking forward to dressing up for a change. 

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

me too  oskidunker, white dinner coat black slacks. See ya there 🤙

Amen brothers! I’m on a different cruise but I’ll be wearing a tuxedo albeit a rented one. 

Glenn

• Like 2

4 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

That's one of the main reasons why Princess is one of the last cruise lines to completely eliminate the dress code.

MONEY. :classic_biggrin:

wow !   all I got to say if ya got, spend it.  :classic_biggrin:

My husband and I went on a Princess Cruise last year to Norway.  They had three formal nights.  I wore a pair of black slacks and a blouse with some sparkles and flat shoes.  My husband wore a nice pair of slacks and a button down shirt.  No jacket or tie.  We had no problems.  We saw other people dressed like we were.  

• Like 2

We are on vacation, and should dress as we please (within reason).  I used to really enjoy dressing for formal night ~ husband not so much, but did it for me.  Then we started taking longer cruises and trying to pack more efficiently, so the formal wear was left at home.  Now I 'get by' with black pants and a dressy top, and husband is happier in his pared down clothes, too.  With the elite laundry perk, a 24" suitcase works well for each of us.  

Edited by GloriaF
  • Like 1

Dress code in the specialty locations is always casual even on formal night in the MDR.  Minimum for men is dockers, button shirt and shoes.  Coats and ties are not needed.  Ladies can wear about anything according to one maitre'd that I asked when I saw ladies on formal nights wearing flip flops.  On our recent CB cruise to the caribbean they were allowing shorts on everyone on casual nights with tshirts.  Formal nights were not allowing shorts but about everything else.  I had heard they were testing the new dress code but did not see anything to indicate it while on the CB.  First and last nights on the ship most anything is allowed including shorts and tshirt. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...