Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Cruisgrl

Inside cabin to balcony upgrade

Recommended Posts

We are a little more than 60 days out from our cruise out of Galveston to the Caribbean. We are booked in an inside cabin overlooking the promenade. I was offered to upgrade to a balcony for an additional $250.00, but no guarantee on the room. The only information that could be given is that the room would be deck 5 or above. Seems somewhat risky. Is it worth it to roll the dice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Cruisgrl said:

We are a little more than 60 days out from our cruise out of Galveston to the Caribbean. We are booked in an inside cabin overlooking the promenade. I was offered to upgrade to a balcony for an additional $250.00, but no guarantee on the room. The only information that could be given is that the room would be deck 5 or above. Seems somewhat risky. Is it worth it to roll the dice?

We don't do guaranties but.... What ship? How many days is the cruise? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We don't do guaranties but.... What ship? How many days is the cruise? 

It’s a seven night cruise on the Liberty of the Seas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Is this a RoyalUp offer?

I haven’t heard the term Royalup. What does that mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cruisgrl said:

I haven’t heard the term Royalup. What does that mean?

It is a program where they offer you upgrades and you bid on them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, molly361 said:

It is a program where they offer you upgrades and you bid on them

No bidding, just the flat rate of $250.00.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you receive this offer? I thought with the new upgrade bid program (RoyalUp) all other upgrade offers would be eliminated. Interesting.

Edited by DanieleBelle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cruisgrl said:

We are a little more than 60 days out from our cruise out of Galveston to the Caribbean. We are booked in an inside cabin overlooking the promenade. I was offered to upgrade to a balcony for an additional $250.00, but no guarantee on the room. The only information that could be given is that the room would be deck 5 or above. Seems somewhat risky. Is it worth it to roll the dice?

Yes. And if you are unhappy with the new cabin you can change to any other available cabin on the ship in the same category at no charge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DanieleBelle said:

How did you receive this offer? I thought with the new upgrade bid program (RoyalUp) all other upgrade offers would be eliminated. Interesting.

I am surprised as well.  That's why I asked if it was the Royal Up offer.  I thought upsells would now be a thing of the past

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cruisgrl said:

No bidding, just the flat rate of $250.00.

 

How did this offer come to you?  Was it an email from Royal Caribbean or someone else?

I am somewhat suspicious because the wording, "deck 5 or above" is very very odd.

 

There are no cabins on Deck 5 - balcony cabins begin on Deck 6.

 

And AFAIK, RC no longer makes flat rate offers.  As others posted, the RoyalUp offers are per person, so the offer is times two.

 

If your offer does not say that, this raises all sorts of red flags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely take it. But it does not sound right. It’s all a bid now. Unless you call and upgrade your self. I upgraded from my boardwalk balcony to ocean balcony for only $40 but that was because they had a special on ocean balconies and that was the difference at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I am surprised as well.  That's why I asked if it was the Royal Up offer.  I thought upsells would now be a thing of the past

I called Royal Caribbean International directly this morning, and the agent made the offer. After reading all the responses, I called back to clarify. Unfortunately, it is 250.00 per person not total as quoted this morning. Disappointing to say the least. I may try calling back when we are 30 days out to check on better upgrade options. 

Edited by Cruisgrl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Can you post your e mail offer?

It was made over the phone by an agent, but called back to clarify. It’s 250.00 per person, not per room☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cruisgrl said:

We are a little more than 60 days out from our cruise out of Galveston to the Caribbean. We are booked in an inside cabin overlooking the promenade. I was offered to upgrade to a balcony for an additional $250.00, but no guarantee on the room. The only information that could be given is that the room would be deck 5 or above. Seems somewhat risky. Is it worth it to roll the dice?

 

I don't know how much you paid for your cabin, but the current price difference between Promenade cabin and balcony guarantee cabin is $74.  TOTAL.

 

(PR = $1839; balcony guarantee = $1913)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

I don't know how much you paid for your cabin, but the current price difference between Promenade cabin and balcony guarantee cabin is $74.  TOTAL.

 

(PR = $1839; balcony guarantee = $1913)

 

If you paid more than $1413, their offer is a ripoff. (or anywhere close to it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...