Wireless in ports - Caribbean

TriumphGuy

Trying to decide whether to add an international phone plan or if we can just get away with using in port wireless on Antigua, Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Thomas. Does anyone know whether wireless is available either at the port themselves or at bars or restaurants? We don't need or want constant communication, just the ability to send/receive email and check up on things at home. 

Also, Princess used to offer wireless by the minute in the past which worked well for us. We'd compose an email in a text editor, connect to the ship's wireless and paste the email into our email and send. Do they still offer the by the minute plan? 

4 minutes ago, TriumphGuy said:

Trying to decide whether to add an international phone plan or if we can just get away with using in port wireless on Antigua, Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Thomas. Does anyone know whether wireless is available either at the port themselves or at bars or restaurants? We don't need or want constant communication, just the ability to send/receive email and check up on things at home. 

Also, Princess used to offer wireless by the minute in the past which worked well for us. We'd compose an email in a text editor, connect to the ship's wireless and paste the email into our email and send. Do they still offer the by the minute plan? 

Wireless? Do you mean internet?

Internet is available in most ports at many restaurants and bars.

What ship are you on or considering?

14 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

I have an IPhone with AT&T. I signed up for their International phone plan yesterday at no charge. When you go off airplane mode in any country outside the US and the phone connects to a local cell tower you are charged $10 per 24 hour period.

For example if you connected in St Kitts at 3PM and connected again the next day in St Lucia at 2PM you would only pay a single $10 charge

Howard

You will be able to find wi-fi with internet access in all of the ports you mention.  We just got back from St. Thomas and there was free wi-fi outside of some shops at Havensight.  I don't remember specifics at the other ports, but we usually just look for ship crew sitting with their phones. They always know where to go.  If all else fails, there are places who will charge you a few bucks.  This will work for checking email.  There are also bars/restaurants that will give customers their wi-fi password.

Thanks for the replies. We'll be on the Crown. We just want to be able to stay in email contact with home. I almost never use my phone for anything sensitive such as banking or financial transactions so not too worried about connecting via public wifi. I also use multi-factor authentication when needed.

When we did our Panama cruise a few years ago we found public wifi available at most bars and restaurants, usually bought a beer or a meal as a thank you. I assumed it would be the same in the Caribbean ports as well but thought I'd ask.

37 minutes ago, TriumphGuy said:

When we did our Panama cruise a few years ago we found public wifi available at most bars and restaurants, usually bought a beer or a meal as a thank you. I assumed it would be the same in the Caribbean ports as well but thought I'd ask.

It is exactly the same. 

This is 2019, for heaven's sake.  People should be able to find wifi on their own without  bothering the staff and cutting  into their very limited free time and/or bandwidth. 

It is so tacky to see passengers huddled in a corner with crew trying to get a signal.  Spend a few bucks! 

Edited by EatonDoolittle
  • Haha 1

Howard, it is probably a moot point since you have a contract with AT&T, but wanted to share our experience for future travels.  We had AT&T for years, but recently switched to T-Mobile bc:

1.  They offer a plan for age 55+ of 2 lines for $70 -- unlimited text, data, talk

2.  We were able to text from anywhere in the Caribbean and Europe at no charge, with no extra plans added.  Of course you still need wi-fi.

This was especially important to us since my husband walked the El Camino trail (pilgrimage of 500 miles) across Spain and I stayed home.  We were able to text every day at no charge.