Cruise Critic Community
RMMariner

Bikes on Princess

1 hour ago, WYB! said:

Here's the thing, I don't believe cruise lines ban bicycles primarily becuase they may pose a hazard or for safety reasons.

I think cruise lines ban bicycles because they don't generate additional revenue for the cruise line.

My impression is that cruise lines think that people who bring bicycles take away revenue from the cruise line as they are less likely to book shore excursions (which in some cases they do).

Some cruise lines that ban bicycles also offer bicycles for rent from the ship, so people who bringing their own bicycles are in direct conflict with a revenue stream.

The situation is similar to why some cruise line ban bringing beverages on board. Yes it's for safety, but it's also for profit.

The thing is, I don't know even know how to start having Princess reconsider this policy.

I don't ride a bike but my brother-in-law is an avid cyclist and he goes on many bike tours.  He always ships his bike as opposed to renting.  He has even bought and left a bike at our home so he can use it when he visits.  We asked him why and he said that in general rental bikes are not really good and his bikes are customized to his body.  Rental bikes are not.  In other words, rental bikes are not as much fun to ride as his are.

DON

Posted (edited)

Originally (in 2018) I purchased a 20" wheel folding bike from craig's list for $100. I have since purchased 3 more off of Craig's list for $100 each (Identical bikes just different colors). Normally they retail new for around $300, but since I got them off of Craig's list I'm less inclined to worry about them if they are damaged or stolen when I use them in port. I have 1 at my apartment in NYC, 2 at my parents home and 1 in Europe at my relatives house (I brought it over from NY on a cruise). I do agree rental bikes in general are not that great, and the bikes I purchased off of Craig's list were in used but very good/limited use condition.

Just FYI, I know a place in Santa Marta, Colombia that replaced my tires, tube and brakes for $6 USD.

When I ride in port I also always bring: a repair kit, an extra tube, helmet and ride with a GoPro.

Previously, before I brought a bike, I use to rent a bikes locally when the ship reached port, (not from the ship but from a local bike vendor). That's when I decided it would be even cheaper/better to bring my own bike.

Edited by WYB!

Glad to see this thread resurrected. I had given up on bringing my bike on Princess, but who knows after this all shakes out Princess may be more amenable to allowing bikes.

I initially wanted to bring my touring bike, but I now that I have done the research, I may well purchase a folding bike. I really cannot see why Princess would object to this. The bike would never be used on the ship, and it would be the equivalent of carrying a suitcase on and off the ship.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, WYB! said:

Here's the thing, I don't believe cruise lines ban bicycles primarily becuase they may pose a hazard or for safety reasons.

I think cruise lines ban bicycles because they don't generate additional revenue for the cruise line.

My impression is that cruise lines think that people who bring bicycles take away revenue from the cruise line as they are less likely to book shore excursions (which in some cases they do).

We rarely book excursions anyway, regardless of the bicycle policy. When possible, we will rent bikes from providers in port, or simply walk or use local transit. So barring us from taking along our own bicycles is unlikely to help the company's bottom line....

Edited by daisy-mae
grammar