Suggestions in San Juan

wdgeorge

On 2/8/2019 at 3:28 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

Just a hint for those who are planning to visit the forts. If you have a US national park pass, it will get you into the forts free. If you are age 62 or over and you have a Golden Age passport it is still good but the lifetime senior passes now have gone up to $80 (used to be $10). You can also get an annual senior pass for $20. If you have a senior pass you can take 3 other adults with you free; children under 16 are also free. Active military and those with a permanent disability are also eligible for a free pass. They MAY have passes for sale at the forts; the last time I was in San Juan I forgot to take my pass and when I asked about buying another one they were out of them. The US National Park website has information about the parks and passes.

The regular admission price for the forts is $7 and includes both forts.  If you don't have a pass and don't have plans to visit any other national parks this would be your best alternative, but I thought I'd remind those who do have a pass to take it along. I plan to pack mine this time!

Ok awesome info, now is the state pass the one you add to you tags at SOS or is this something different? Thanks!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 10:19 PM, RNsoon2beNP said:

Ok awesome info, now is the state pass the one you add to you tags at SOS or is this something different? Thanks!

The forts in San Juan are part of the US National Park Service, so I don't think any state passes would work there. You can get the latest information on what passes they take and how to get them at www.nps.gov

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking of renting a car and doing a driving tour. We are travelling with two kids and have done the forts in the past. Is driving there the same as in the US? Also is there a place we could drop our dirty clothes in the morning and pick back up a few hours later? $35 a bag onboard is a bit pricey. I just thought it would be a good way to get them clean at a cheaper price. Any suggestions of a driving itinerary. Thanks for any info!

Other than the signs being in Spanish, it is driving in the US.  

A tour would depend on how much time you have- most ships are there so short that you could drive to the rain forest see it, and drive back.   Having done the drive a lot- I know I could get to Ponce and back in the port time.  Seeing the middle of the island via the freeway is nice, but not that great.

The best scenery are on the tiny mountain roads, which are slow because they are so very twisty.  We've done parts of them on an entire day drive- but that's starting in Ponce at 9am and getting back about that same time.

A realistic thing to do is go to the rain forest, perhaps to the beach next to there (some cool food there) and back to San Juan.  

A stretch drive would be east to Fajardo, south to Humacao, west to Caguas, and back north to San Juan- that's mostly freeway driving....  Can't say that it's that great of a drive, but a loop you could do in the time frame.

Has anyone experienced renting a car from Hertz Rental car in the Sheraton by the port or from anywhere else?? How could we get a map to get us to the rain forest, wondering if a map might be provided?

Edited by QUIGONATOR

9 hours ago, QUIGONATOR said:

Has anyone experienced renting a car from Hertz Rental car in the Sheraton by the port or from anywhere else?? How could we get a map to get us to the rain forest, wondering if a map might be provided?

I have a few times, it's quite easy to do- just show up, and they walk you to your car.  One thing to avoid- coming between 12-1, as the window is closed during that time.

They do have maps, but they are not terribly detailed, but your phone map works great.  

• 2 weeks later...

My Wife and I found a great Wine Bar/Restaurant that is away from the hustle and bustle and has a beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean. It is a 15-20 minute walk away from the pier. If you go, you have to try the octopus.  We we a little leery of it, but we ordered the seafood platter that came with it on. My wife and I both thought it was the best even better then the Lobster and Shrimp.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:29 PM, LetsHaveFunInTheSun said:

My Wife and I found a great Wine Bar/Restaurant that is away from the hustle and bustle and has a beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean. It is a 15-20 minute walk away from the pier. If you go, you have to try the octopus.  We we a little leery of it, but we ordered the seafood platter that came with it on. My wife and I both thought it was the best even better then the Lobster and Shrimp.

Sorry the name of the restaurant is Ladi,s Place. If you like seafood, you won't want to miss this place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LetsHaveFunInTheSun said:

Sorry the name of the restaurant is Ladi,s Place. If you like seafood, you won't want to miss this place.

Thx!  We will be there on a port stop from 5p to 12am next January from MSC Seaside, so we were just going to go somewhere for dinner as we really can't do much else (we've been to the forts many times, bio tour, no beach, no food tour available...etc...).  Ship excursions are the same walking tours to areas that we have been to before.  We aren't interested in the flamenco shows.  It's a shame but we really like doing active things and being on our own to explore without a time table or guide.  However, we do have a lot planned at the other ports so it may be nice just to have a night out without the planning.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this post and wanted to ask about what to do with almost 12 hours in port!?  Arrive at 10am leave at 10pm!

I have never been there, but always wanted to go.   I have an National Park pass and love Forts. We would love to see some of the natural beauty also.  Take a tour?  Rent a car?

Can anyone comment on open container laws? We have never been to OSJ before. Is it like most other Caribbean ports that allow open consumption of alcohol, or more like the US where it is prohibited?

Also, are the forts a quick walk from the pier (10-15 minutes)? Or do they require a taxi?

TIA.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:28 PM, skivy said:

You will love Old San Juan.

From the ship walk left until you reach the Paseo de la Princessa. There may be little kiosks open along the walkway that end at the Raices fountain. (A tribute to the people of Puerto Rico.) See below picture. 

Continue your walk along the wall. (La Muralla) Continue along the waterfront until you reach the big red gate. Enjoy the waterfront walk, statuary and unique trees. 

Go through the gate and up the hill. At the top of the hill is the San Juan Cathedral. The ceilings and walls are spectacular. 

Now you have two options. You can continue your upward walk past the El Convento hotel to the top of the hill. You will come across a unique Taino totem. A few more steps and you will see the incredible Fort, El Morro. A must see. Too the right is a cemetery with incredible sculptures. Kids should be flying kites in the huge field. 

You can then walk back the same way to the Cathedral. (Another option is the free green trolley which travels through Old San Juan.) If you walk down the blue cobblestone streets you will come to a street called Fortaleza. It is where the umbrellas are. It leads to the governors mansion. If you continue on the original street you will end up at Pigeon Park. 

There are a number of fun restaurants that I like. Punta de Vista atop Hotel Milano. Great lunch menu and 2 for 1 mojitos. Also if you like chocolate go to the Choco Bar on San Francisco. Good fun and an assortment of alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks/desserts. 

Other fun shops, parks, fort and often street entertainment in the area. 

Enjoy!

77CC9E68-9223-40D8-9433-3DA3091A864F.jpeg

F4EE44C8-6168-44A1-9348-A6F257537DEC.jpeg

thank you for the info

On 1/28/2019 at 8:28 PM, skivy said:

You will love Old San Juan.

From the ship walk left until you reach the Paseo de la Princessa. There may be little kiosks open along the walkway that end at the Raices fountain. (A tribute to the people of Puerto Rico.) See below picture. 

Continue your walk along the wall. (La Muralla) Continue along the waterfront until you reach the big red gate. Enjoy the waterfront walk, statuary and unique trees. 

Go through the gate and up the hill. At the top of the hill is the San Juan Cathedral. The ceilings and walls are spectacular. 

Now you have two options. You can continue your upward walk past the El Convento hotel to the top of the hill. You will come across a unique Taino totem. A few more steps and you will see the incredible Fort, El Morro. A must see. Too the right is a cemetery with incredible sculptures. Kids should be flying kites in the huge field. 

You can then walk back the same way to the Cathedral. (Another option is the free green trolley which travels through Old San Juan.) If you walk down the blue cobblestone streets you will come to a street called Fortaleza. It is where the umbrellas are. It leads to the governors mansion. If you continue on the original street you will end up at Pigeon Park. 

There are a number of fun restaurants that I like. Punta de Vista atop Hotel Milano. Great lunch menu and 2 for 1 mojitos. Also if you like chocolate go to the Choco Bar on San Francisco. Good fun and an assortment of alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks/desserts. 

Other fun shops, parks, fort and often street entertainment in the area. 

Enjoy!

77CC9E68-9223-40D8-9433-3DA3091A864F.jpeg

F4EE44C8-6168-44A1-9348-A6F257537DEC.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone our ship doesn't arrive til 5PM would like to get up to where you can view the beautiful umbrella Street wondered if you can take the trolley up that way have someone with a cane. Also how late does the trolley run. We will be there on a Monday 

Thanks..

1 hour ago, Jennylyte said:

Hi everyone our ship doesn't arrive til 5PM would like to get up to where you can view the beautiful umbrella Street wondered if you can take the trolley up that way have someone with a cane. Also how late does the trolley run. We will be there on a Monday 

Thanks..

If they are running, yes- take either the Ruta Larga or Ruta Corta bus, and get off at Stop 9.  That's the corner of Fortaleza and San Jose- you will still have to walk up Fortaleza a block to see the umbrellas, which are from just before the governor's home and ends at Del Cristo.