Pacific Ocean Late April Crossing Sea & Temperature Conditions Honolulu to Vancouver

ChuckL

We just booked the 2021 Celebrity Eclipse 10-Night Hawaii Cruise on April 22 for our 40th anniversary. Can anyone who has done the 5 day crossing from Hawaii to Vancouver elaborate on whether their cruise had smooth or rough seas? Also, how many days did it stay warm enough to use the pool or hot tubs? 

It all depends on how Celebrity has equipped its ships to heat water (or not) but on the Millennium, the outdoor pool wasn't heated on an October TPAC crossing and it got very cold - I swam every day, doing a couple of laps before retreating to the relative warmth of the hot tubs, which were only a bit better than warm.   From research before I got on the ship for that sailing, it'd appear the hot tubs and pool aren't heated, or the hot tub heaters aren't up to snuff.

21 minutes ago, travel1light said:

That would be the 29th? Not seeing one on the 22nd. Just asking as I have the same questions as where in the cruise it starts to get too cold for pool, etc. 

No, it is from April 22-May 2, 2021.   

Were you looking at a different year?

We sailed on the Solstice from HNL - YVR in 2017 and will be doing the same cruise in April of this year. The seas weren’t rough when we crossed and we only had 1 good day after leaving the Hawaiian islands. I mean sun and warm temps. After that it was very cool but as we got closer to Vancouver we were sitting out on the deck in a sheltered area and it was warm. The solarium was a great place to swim in the heated pool while at sea.

We did the 12 day Hawaii to Vancouver  cruise April 29, 2018.  As you leave Hawaii  it becomes increasingly colder, but my husband  swam or used the hot tubs almost ever day.  We enjoyed  the cruise and would consider doing it again.  You need to dress in layers as you will need warmer clothing near the end of the cruise.  As your cruise leaves one week earlier than ours you may find it a bit colder.  Good luck making your anniversary plans.

We also have sailed on the Solstice from Hawaii to Vancouver in May 2017. We really enjoyed the cruise; however, I don’t remember it being as smooth as mentioned by Travelexpert 35. But, we may not be as experienced.

The weather once we left the islands was unfortunately often rainy, windy and somewhat cold. For example, people watching the hot glass show were all covered in blankets. We barely used our balcony during the crossing because if the weather (we used it much more on our Alaska cruise). From memory also, waves varied from 13 to 15 feet for significant periods of time during the crossing. So not enough to consider this rough seas, but, I would call it moderate rather than smooth. My wife experienced a bit of sea sickness for the first time on a cruise, the day before we reached Vancouver.

In conclusion, weather is unpredictable. More sunshine and a bit less wind would have been nice; but, I am sure that it could have been worse and have seen images of much rougher seas in other parts of the world.

This said, to this day, this cruise was one if not, our most appreciated cruise experience and would do it again in a heart beat, if the opportunity knocks.

Enjoy your cruise!