QM2 "sheltered" balcony cabins

DaveEasternPenn

Am considering the QM2 for a cruise, but am concerned about the term "sheltered balcony" cabins. Are the balcony's really small, and what does "sheltered" mean? Can you still sit outside and enyoy the view? Need help from cruisers who have stayed in these cabins.

Sheltered balconies are those cut into the hull. Your entire balcony is within the hull, but the sea facing side is open to the air. If you look at photos of Queen Mary 2 the Promenade deck is deck 7. decks 4, 5, and 6 below it will have sheltered balconies. Yes you can sit out side and enjoy the view, 

Image result for queen mary 2 photos sheltered balcony

Image result for queen mary 2 photos sheltered balcony

Edited by Bigmike911
add photo.

The sheltered balcony is actually slightly larger (deeper) than a standard balcony with the glass railing. Unfortunately when sitting either in the cabin or on the balcony most people can only see the sky and not see the water. I'm 6'1" (1.8m) and if I sit up straight I can just see the horizon. However, because of the protection from the wind and weather, we actually get more use form a sheltered balcony. The photo below was taken on a chilly rainy morning from our sheltered balcony as we stood in our bathrobes sipping a cup of coffee.

IMG_2419.thumb.JPG.925331c58a3b9aeaacc0a6b24441ce01.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

You will find as stated that the balcony is larger and protected from all but direct weather, but we really dislike the fact you can only see sky and absolutely no sea, while seated because the hull is cut out too high to see anything unless standing up.

We had a sheltered balcony on an October TA from NYC to Southampton.   Booked it because of the time of year and never really expected to be out there but were pleasantly surprised.  Used it comfortably a couple of times for wine and cheese and doubt it would have been as comfortable on a regular balcony.   Yes view is limited but on a TA not much to see but water.

I’ve previously stayed in 4030 and really enjoyed it. They were designed like that because of the high waves and poor weather that can occur on transatlantic crossings. The QM2 does, of course do cruises, but was not designed as a cruise ship. 

In response to your questions: 

- Nope. They are not really small. I think they might be bigger that other balconies as others have suggested. 

- The term ‘sheltered’ means they are cut into the hull. I tried to take the attach photo of our room. 

I also attach a photo of myself on the sheltered balcony of 4030. 

541F7220-7E22-4D7E-8185-B1E72AD83428.jpeg

4D1836D9-57B2-4513-B415-B452FC916E84.jpeg