Anchorage Hotel and Transfer to Seward

alexamoss93

I am looking for input on the best option for where to stay in Anchorage for one night, and then for our transfer from Anchorage to Seward. We are booked for our honeymoon on the Norwegian Jewel departing Seward on Monday 9/2/19. Our wedding is Saturday 8/31/19, and our flight is Sunday 9/1/19 and arrives in Anchorage at 10:30 pm Sunday. None of that can be changed, so here's where I am stumped. We will obviously be tired after a wedding and traveling from PA to Alaska, but I am having a hard time stomaching paying $150+ for a hotel for MAYBE 6-7 hours (if we were to take the train from Anchorage to Seward, which I have seen rave reviews for, but it leaves at 6:45 Monday morning). The other option that I have seen is to take a bus, which is cheaper than the train and leaves at 11:30, which means the $150 for the hotel is definitely worth it. I haven't been able to find a hotel that offers Airport transfers for cheaper than that. We are young (mid 20's) and adventurous, and a train sounds so much more our style than a bus ride. Maybe we should just sleep in the airport for 6 hours then get a ride to the train station... lol kidding (kind of)

Any ideas/input would be helpful. Thanks in advance!  

You will need to be at the train station 1 hour prior to departure (we've taken that train twice). The train is definitely the way to go. I would look at the airport and see if they have a suites lounge, or I would go to to hotels.com or something similar and find an inexpensive hotel, that could be canceled if you are delayed getting into Anchorage. An alternative is to see if you can get a special rate for six hours, like a day rate.

Only you can decide how important your sleep is.  And in reality it will be closer to 5 hrs sleep if you take the morning train.  How will 5 hrs sleep affect the rest of your day? are you going to be cranky and miserable all day? sleep all the way to Seward? or can you suck it up and settle for an early night on the ship?

If you decide on the train,  stay downtown by the depot. Get the drive over with. It will save you from worrying about the 20-30 minute drive early the next day.  A cab will be about $25.  Check out the Anchorage Grand; walking distance to the depot.

There is a cruise-contracted train that leaves in the afternoon. Don't know if NCL is in that mix, but worth a call to find out.

The attached map shows the train route.  The train tracks run next to the hwy for 75% of the trip, except for the section between Portage Lake and Moose Pass. This is where you can have great glacier views that you won't get from the road.  http://www.alaska.org/assets/content/maps/Transportation_Map.pdf

Thanks for the help. I ended up booking a hotel for $115 that included free transfers from the airport and also to the train depot, plus continental breakfast and free cancellation in case something better/cheaper comes up! Looking forward to getting a couple hour's shut eye and then getting to take the train to Seward 🙂 feel free to continue posting if any other ideas pop up! 

2 minutes ago, alexamoss93 said:

Thanks for the help. I ended up booking a hotel for $115 that included free transfers from the airport and also to the train depot, plus continental breakfast and free cancellation in case something better/cheaper comes up! Looking forward to getting a couple hour's shut eye and then getting to take the train to Seward 🙂 feel free to continue posting if any other ideas pop up! 

What hotel did you end up booking?

The train travels through gorgeous scenery, some of which can only be seen from the train...
Another option is for your to rent a car in Anchorage & drop the car in Seward.  You will have a scenic drive & can plan your day to include stops along the way:

• Alyeska - Tram ride to the top of the mountain & hike
  • Portage Glacier Cruise
  • Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
  • Potential picnic lunch in Moose Pass on Trail Lake or anywhere else along the way
  • Exit Glacier Visit

Plus much, much more...

Whatever you do - enjoy your trip to our beautiful state!  A word of warning - I came on vacation in 2000 & decided I needed to find a way to live here full-time...