Suite Experience on Princess

Onthetweendeck

If you go in with low expectations of being wowed you may find value. 

Everyone has different reasons for wanting to experience a Suite. Some may want to treat themselves to the the luxury of the larger cabin or find it a necessity with a kids in tow. Others may find value in the double or triple points. 

We banged out three full suites over the last three months, for the treat and the double points, all on Princess (Island, Caribbean and Royal).

All underwhelming experiences, dont expect anything more with regard to a premium experience than the execution of the stated benefits.

This was the Princess experience and not a comprehensive listing.

Two mini bottles of champagne will be delivered to the cabin day one.

Canapés will be delivered first day, thereafter on your request.

Fruit basket will be delivered and changed out at the room attendants discretion.

Two bottles of water delivered to your cabin (most days, call Room service if they don’t show)

Your one mini-bar set-up will be in the cabin, entitled to 2nd set up if Elite status as well. (See my post on Best Loyalty Program to see the pitfalls of Princess’s Mini-bar perk).

Robes and slippers will be in cabin (last robes were three sizes too small and we are medium size, they brought us other robes from the spa)

Unlimited laundry was nice but not a necessity for a 7 day cruise.

Club class dining. This is truly an underwhelming experience in that it is not a noticeable upgrade from the usual quite lovely evening traditional dining experience on any ship on any line. Main beef is that they just put you off in a corner corral in the main dining room. Same entrance same experience. They do make a special dish or two each day just for Club class only but that one more choice from the standard menu does not elevate the experience.

That all may sound appealing but before too long you will find yourself wondering if that was it, shouldn’t you feel special, refreshed and pampered. Well I’m afraid that is it, no personalized treatment, no Cinderella experience. 

Royal Princess had a dedicated concierge and a small canapés and coffee lounge but other than help with bookings not much else to that benefit. The other ships did not have either staff or room.

Futher Princess can not guarantee the stated benefit of “Priority Boarding” (with the Elite guests from their waiting area) as the check in staff works for the port. We were three for three in getting roughed up by the port staff due to the fact that we were Platinum status at the time and not understanding Suite perks insisted we board with the Platinum guests. Was not pretty but we prevailed in getting to the right area and I have complained to Princess all three times that they can’t state a benefit if they can’t guarantee it.

Mini-Suites being just a single point multiplier on Princess as opposed to Royal Caribbean is another misstep by Princess and just a bigger cabin.

We have decided that since we are now Elite and don’t need anymore points on Princess we do not value the space or perks enough to justify the expense of a suite on their ships.

We have two suites booked on Royal Caribbean this year, our first for that line and will see how they compare to Princess.

Interesting 3 suite in 3 suite for the double loyalty  points.

We take a suite for the extra room and the location ( aft ) also if you like the ship within a ship then celebrity is one line which does that. Or maybe go small ship 700 pax or less.

The suite life on main stream lines is different ship to ship as well as lines and the big thing is what do you want.  We feel the princess have a good loyalty program and we enjoy the perks offer for suites, but it is each to his or hers own and their expectations..

So I hope you enjoy Royal Caribbean

Cheers Don

1 hour ago, Onthetweendeck said:

If you go in with low expectations of being wowed you may find value. 

Everyone has different reasons for wanting to experience a Suite. Some may want to treat themselves to the the luxury of the larger cabin or find it a necessity with a kids in tow. Others may find value in the double or triple points. 

We banged out three full suites over the last three months, for the treat and the double points, all on Princess (Island, Caribbean and Royal).

All underwhelming experiences, dont expect anything more with regard to a premium experience than the execution of the stated benefits.

This was the Princess experience and not a comprehensive listing.

Two mini bottles of champagne will be delivered to the cabin day one.

Canapés will be delivered first day, thereafter on your request.

Fruit basket will be delivered and changed out at the room attendants discretion.

Two bottles of water delivered to your cabin (most days, call Room service if they don’t show)

Your one mini-bar set-up will be in the cabin, entitled to 2nd set up if Elite status as well. (See my post on Best Loyalty Program to see the pitfalls of Princess’s Mini-bar perk).

Robes and slippers will be in cabin (last robes were three sizes too small and we are medium size, they brought us other robes from the spa)

Unlimited laundry was nice but not a necessity for a 7 day cruise.

Club class dining. This is truly an underwhelming experience in that it is not a noticeable upgrade from the usual quite lovely evening traditional dining experience on any ship on any line. Main beef is that they just put you off in a corner corral in the main dining room. Same entrance same experience. They do make a special dish or two each day just for Club class only but that one more choice from the standard menu does not elevate the experience.

That all may sound appealing but before too long you will find yourself wondering if that was it, shouldn’t you feel special, refreshed and pampered. Well I’m afraid that is it, no personalized treatment, no Cinderella experience. 

Royal Princess had a dedicated concierge and a small canapés and coffee lounge but other than help with bookings not much else to that benefit. The other ships did not have either staff or room.

Futher Princess can not guarantee the stated benefit of “Priority Boarding” (with the Elite guests from their waiting area) as the check in staff works for the port. We were three for three in getting roughed up by the port staff due to the fact that we were Platinum status at the time and not understanding Suite perks insisted we board with the Platinum guests. Was not pretty but we prevailed in getting to the right area and I have complained to Princess all three times that they can’t state a benefit if they can’t guarantee it.

Mini-Suites being just a single point multiplier on Princess as opposed to Royal Caribbean is another misstep by Princess and just a bigger cabin.

We have decided that since we are now Elite and don’t need anymore points on Princess we do not value the space or perks enough to justify the expense of a suite on their ships.

We have two suites booked on Royal Caribbean this year, our first for that line and will see how they compare to Princess.

If I understand you, you received all of the perks that come with a suite. They just didn’t make you feel special enough.

Having had a suite on Princess twice now, I can appreciate your assessment of the suite experience. It costs considerably more to have a suite and Princess does not do a very good job of making suite pax feel like this money is well spent when their promised amenities fall short. It’s not about expectation. It’s as if the staff serving the suite pax will see what they can get way with not providing you. I don’t know if it is laziness by staff or just lack of understanding of what they are supposed to do for suite pax. I happen to like CC dining because we were promptly seated on arrival and that was really nice. Again, still lacking as service level is inconsistent. We have made Princess very aware of the issues and I feel that their generous credit made a difference. I probably won’t be booking a suite again on Princess. I refuse to spend my vacation telling people what they are not doing correctly. 

• Haha 1

Hmm! You just might be accurate in your viewpoint especially compared to the Celebrity cruise experience which really does treat their suite passengers like they are royalty. My only observation has to do with priceing. Celebrity really does set a pricing standard that many cruisers are unwilling to pay whereas Princess suite pricing is within reach of more cruise passengers. As a result since you are not paying for exceptional service they in turn are not providing an experience that some other cruiselines are for suite guests.

Still going to Sail Princess, main issue I have with the Brand is that Elite is the top level. Just feel any bulk points beyond that may be better used on another line to try new boats, ports and perspectives. Got Sky booked, waiting for Enchanted to open up for US bookings, something new. Princess does a lot of things right. On board credit for Military. Their internet benefit is generous at the Platinum and above level. I like the food better than any other line. Quite fond of the Pizza and Burger stands on the pool deck. Service is always great. I guess they are a victim of their high standards, how do you elevate to another level at a higher price point.

Hi tweendeck I love cruising, especially in a suite. I actually prefer the suite for the space and a real 🛁 bathroom. To your point I actually agree with you Princess could really beef up the perks. We always have an enjoyable time but agree it is nothing to write home about if you want to be spoiled and have a sweet suite experience imho I choose the Haven on NCL. The Haven is my go too if you want to feel special 😍 we learned very quickly on Princess a few years ago when we couldn’t get in to the nightly show and we were about 20 minutes before showtime. I also prefer the Haven over Celebrity which we just got off of for the NYE cruise. Nevertheless as I stated we have always enjoyed our trips on Princess we have cruised about 5 times on Princess and will be on the Royal for my bday in April. Happy cruising all

😋🌹

• Like 1

Well in answer to the question, princess suite life....

We enjoy it, particularly the cabin, breakfast, free laundry ( our shortest cruise is 13nights ) mini bar, club class, evening canapés,  and on our cruises our room steward, has been very good to us .

All in all, to us it is worth it, and we enjoy it,  if you do not don't go in a suite....

We have been to some very high end land base resorts, so we know what the best is like... and thing is you pay for it... ( about 3 times the cost per day of a suite on princess )

And may I ask why would one book 3 suites at on three cruises, would you do it once then see if you liked it, before committing to further book more cruises with the same line in a suite

I am sorry you were not wowed, just maybe you set the bar a little high.

A hope you enjoy your next cruises in a suite on a different lline

Cheers Don...... ( in a suite, in less then 4 weeks )  

Yeah, the three Suites booked in a short time frame. Well my wife was jonesing to do a Suite and 1 became 3, but all super deals booked way ahead. The prices made it worth doing for the double points, walked off the last with our Elite status in hand. The bigger issue is I was chomping at the bit to get on Royal Princess, as we always seemed to get better deals on Regal. Well 1 became 3 weeks in a row. Not to ruffle feathers but we liked Regal better, they had better internet deals and were far in the process of rolling out Ocean Medalion. Our last room on Regal changed to it mid cruise and it was a nice bit of kit, just walk up to your cabin door and turn the handle if your Medalion is hanging high enough on your neck. Nice if you are carrying snacks/drinks. When we left Royal two weeks ago they were still installing the door boxes, don’t know if certain areas were up a running. Like the idea of the bath tub but don’t seem to get around to use it, one cruise though I caught a cold and the tub sure felt good then

23 hours ago, Waterluv said:

Hi tweendeck I love cruising, especially in a suite. I actually prefer the suite for the space and a real 🛁 bathroom. To your point I actually agree with you Princess could really beef up the perks. We always have an enjoyable time but agree it is nothing to write home about if you want to be spoiled and have a sweet suite experience imho I choose the Haven on NCL. The Haven is my go too if you want to feel special 😍 we learned very quickly on Princess a few years ago when we couldn’t get in to the nightly show and we were about 20 minutes before showtime. I also prefer the Haven over Celebrity which we just got off of for the NYE cruise. Nevertheless as I stated we have always enjoyed our trips on Princess we have cruised about 5 times on Princess and will be on the Royal for my bday in April. Happy cruising all

😋🌹

• The Great State of Texas   ❤️😀

We have sailed in 7 suites on Princess, Premium, 5 Penthouse,  and an Owner's suite on the Pacific. I  liked the additional space and the complimentary same day laundry and breakfast in the Crown Grill or Sabatini's. Club Class dining was nice but not great.

Until now we had nothing to compare to. But we just returned from a 15-night cruise to Antarctica on Silversea Cloud. Our cabin was the size of a mini on Princess, but it came with the services of a butler and a room steward. Per diem was $3200 per day so it was more than our suites on Princess, but the attentive service, quality of the food, and the all inclusiveness (including unlimited Internet) was far superior to Princess.

We were not in a large enough suite for the complimentary laundry, but the ship offered free use of their laundry room and provided the soap and dryer sheets.

Filet mignon was on the room service menu, and since my hubby didn't like the "fancy dishes" (he is a meat and potatoes man), he had filet mignon almost every night.

I really enjoyed the Maine lobster tails but did not eat any of the Russian caviar,  or frog legs.

We have a New Zealand cruise on the Majestic (ph suite) coming up in May. We were so impressed with Silversea that we booked an 18-night to Far East Russia, the islands of the Bering Sea, and the western islands of Alaska, such as Kodiak, Dutch Harbor. The cruise starts in Sewart (have been their on the Princess Voyage of the Glacier cruises) and ends in Nome. This time our Medallion Suite will get us complimentary laundry and dinner at the officers table if we want.

So for those of you who want to experience another cruiseline, try Silversea.

Also, Antarctica is scenic beauty at its finest, like Alaska on steroids ... and you get to walk in penguin poop if you go ashore in the zodiacs, but they were so cute, saw 6 different varieties.

Edited by cflutist