Do you find cruise cabins noisy at night?

librarygal

10 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

On another thread she made another questionable comment: 

On a previous cruise a few years ago, the cruiseline had tours of the kitchen facilities on the first or second day. Large groups of people were allowed to walk through the kitchen and see how they prepared the food. It was an eye opening experience. They had 100s of immigrant workers doing "prep cook" assignments, such as putting a single item on each plate. Or scrap off the food from each plate. It must be incredibly boring...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1576259-have-you-ever-toured-the-cruiseships-kitchens-before/?tab=comments#comment-32745440

"They had 100s of immigrant workers...."  Seriously?

Yes, and how are the "immigrants."  They did not move to another country.  They have a work contract, then return to their home country, the come back to work on another contract.

NOT IMMIGRATING..

And BTW, would the OP be even more upset to see that the bridge crew is also now US, and probably even the Captain.

I still call them immigrants because they were not working in their home country.  You can call them what you want!

I loved the "immigrant" workers on the ship.  Hard workers and so friendly and helpful.  They were the only saving grace of a totally negative cruise experience.

But these nice and hardworking immigrant cruise workers could do little about the noise that kept me awake most of the night.  This was due to rude people who made lots of noise and a lack of soundproofing in the construction of the ship.

Edited by librarygal

5 minutes ago, librarygal said:

I still call them immigrants because they were not working in their home country.  You can call them what you want!

I loved the "immigrant" workers on the ship.  Hard workers and so friendly and helpful.  They were the only saving grace of a totally negative cruise experience.

But these nice and hardworking immigrant cruise workers could do little about the noise that kept me awake most of the night.  This was due to rude people who made lots of noise and a lack of soundproofing in the construction of the ship.

I call them what they are- international workers on an international ship. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Occasionally, someone will slam their balcony door,  which is rude and noisy.  And once in a while we will hear people talking as they walk by our door, but that's about it.

thats almost always because of the wind tunnel effect:  the  cabin door opening while the balcony door is open.   been guilty of them myself on occasion.  

We recently sailed on the Carnival Sunshine, Deck 5 behind the bar.  It was an 8 day cruise.  Overall it was enjoyable but we did get quite a bit of loud noise all night long in the hallway.  Neighbors were quiet but the noise did impact my sleep.  Researching cabins, we did pick one of the highly favored cabins but unfortunately no one commented on what I call excessive noise.  I chalk it up to experience, we did enjoy the cruise and I'd cruise with Carnival again but it would have to be 7 days or longer.

Edited by JTBCruiser
spelling

3 hours ago, librarygal said:

The multi-international staff at GS and security could have done something about your noisy neighbors if you would have taken the time and effort to make a simple phone call and turned in a complaint. It wasn't like you weren't already awake according to you. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, librarygal said:

I am sorry you experienced so much noise on your cruise.  We have been on 40 plus cruises  and have rarely experienced what you describe.  Perhaps we have just been lucky?  Maybe you should try spending less time in the library  as your screen name suggests and acclimate your self to a little  more noise.  :-)   I am glad to see that you do not blame the "immigrant workers" for the noise.

Edited by Rala
typo

10 hours ago, librarygal said:

I call them contract employees - which is exactly what they are. When I was working on assignment in Germany, Scotland and France for my company, I certainly was not an "immigrant" as I was not permanently moving to those countries, nor had any intentions to.

You calling them "immigrants" is condescending to those crew members. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 12:21 PM, Hlitner said:

The further forward the less foot traffic.  In fact, on a recent Emerald Princess cruise we had a the 2nd cabin behind the bridge and it was always quiet because there was no foot traffic.  One other advantage is that those forward cabins are often less costly (and less popular).   Forward cabins are also quiet because the heaviest and noisiest machinery (engines) are arrayed around the center of the ship (center of gravity) and the props or azipods are towards the aft (except on the new Celebrity Edge).

I agree this is a good location... slightly forward of the forward-most elevator can still be convenient yet limits the number of people walking by.  On some ships corridors farther aft can become quite busy.  On some ships, for example, there is no enclosed access for and aft past the main pool area, so the hallway below the pool deck can suddenly become quite busy in bad weather!

Also, just to avoid confusion, the Edge has conventional, rear mounted azipods.  A while back Fain said "The propellers are forward not back, so there’s nothing to interrupt the water coming into the propeller."  Some reporters assumed this meant they were mounted near the bow and published articles explicitly stating that.  He was simply saying the props were on the front of the azipods.  Just like most pod arrangements.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:28 AM, Grandma Dazzles said:

Just read your other post about considering leaving the ship.  Sorry you had such a bad cruise.  

Perhaps next time, if you cruise again, you need to research your cabin and cruise.  Short Carnival cruises are often referred to as “party cruises.”

All cruise lines 3 day cruises are booze cruises not restricted to Carnival.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, librarygal said:

You aren't in your home country either on a cruise ship, are you an immigrant?  

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I select cabins in the front off the ship with less foot traffic since I do find people who  think chatting with their outside voices in the hallways annoying.  

Yep not much foot traffic in the front off the ship!

Sorry, just had to.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:12 AM, librarygal said:

Ex-pats maybe.  Immigrants NO.

Immigration means to move to permanently live there.  Not just for a specific job.

Dictionary - 

im·mi·grate

Dictionary result for immigrate

/ˈiməˌɡrāt/
verb
NORTH AMERICAN

1. come to live permanently in a foreign country.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 8:12 AM, librarygal said:

I loved the "immigrant" workers on the ship.  Hard workers and so friendly and helpful.  They were the only saving grace of a totally negative cruise experience...

Ok, so your misuse of the term is due not to any prejudice about the happy hardworking staff, but rather your lack of understanding of good usage of the English vocabulary. Got it.

We've been on about 40 cruises (no shorter than 7 days though) and have heard very little noise in the cabin and hallways--it's noiser at home.

The crew are not immigrants!!  Anyway the word immigrant is not a negative term.  Most people in the US come from immigrant stock.  

Edited by Nebr.cruiser