Avalon Danube optional excursions

ScootandJen

Hi everyone!  Looking for some insight on some of the shore excursions being offered by Avalon.  Sailing Danube from Budapest to Prague late April. Has anyone done the food tour they offer in Prague or the wine excursion to Eytek region? TIA 🙂

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 12:25 PM, ScootandJen said:

Hi everyone!  Looking for some insight on some of the shore excursions being offered by Avalon.  Sailing Danube from Budapest to Prague late April. Has anyone done the food tour they offer in Prague or the wine excursion to Eytek region? TIA 🙂

We will be sailing Prague to Budapest mid-May and would appreciate any info on shore excursions or anything else!  

Thank you!

These are the optional tours for The Legendary Danube, Prague to Budapest last May. They are subject to change of course. You will have access to them on the

My.AvalonWaterways.com website as well as in your travel documents you will receive. I only chose to do the optional Vienna Classical Music Concert. The daily included tours were awesome. The only one optional tour I wish I had gone on was the one to Cesky Krumlov. All in all it was A++!

E7241362-7093-446C-B4D8-30108D800DEC.jpeg

21812C41-37F2-4BE9-8C73-3813F7E621FA.jpeg

A333CCFD-B8D7-4A6E-AA50-6D71B706DFBF.jpeg

3A7E2AD6-CFF1-4E40-9314-A1B0AB89A310.jpeg

Thank you so very much for going to all this trouble!!  We have our travel packet, but personal recommendations are what I was looking for.  I knew I wanted to go to the Vienna Concert and will definitely look at the Cesky Krumlov tour.  Otherwise, we'll likely stick to the included tours.  Thanks again.

Lynn

You’re welcome! Honestly I think the included tours were great! I really enjoyed going on the walking tours and then having time to explore on my own. To me it was the best and was included in the cruise package. After my disembarkment in Budapest I flew to Amsterdam, Paris, and Edinburgh for another two nights each. So, I am now dying to do more!

• Like 1

Very much appreciated, Magnolia!

We are on the Legendary Danube in November. I've sent the link to your posts to our friends also cruising with us.

DH & I are definitely choosing the Cesky Krumlov tour and likely the evening concert in Vienna (do we need to dress up for this?). Since we've spent time in Budapest we may try to book tickets to Parliament on our own and wander the market again. The evening tour is a possibility too. Not starting in Prague since we've visited there as well but will take the train to Munich post-cruise.

Edited by TMLAalum
  • Like 1

Prague was very special to me. I am an avid beader so I booked a special tour to Jablonec where the bead factories are located. I got to see beads being hand made and those made by press molds. Even got to try my hand at lampwork beads! Toured lots of bead shops and came home with some great Czech glass. Feel free to email me or post here if there are any questions I might answer! 

—Jackie

ncmagnolia@yahoo.com

• Like 1

Hi Jackie.

Thanks for all your great info.  I love lamp work beads, but I can’t/shouldn’t/must not buy any more!  😕  What are some of your favorite restaurants in Prague?  Anything not to miss other than the usual tourist attractions?

Lynn

My daughter and I did the Cesky tour and it was awesome. The highlight of the trip for me. My other daughter and my sister did Salzburg and enjoyed it as well but I would say Cesky is not to be missed. We also did the night tour in Budapest. It was nice but not spectacular. We did a private walking tour in Prague that was amazing. The Avalon included tour was a nice over view but you will definitely want to supplement that with something more in depth. 

I was really bad in Prague and mainly ate at the Hilton after walking my feet off! I sampled street food and that was fun, too. Although I had booked the pretour with Avalon I really didn’t get to take advantage of their itinary. They were doing their city tour on Wednesday but I could only do my Czech glass tour then. So i went exploring on my own on Thursday. I did the Hop On-Hop Off bus and it took me everywhere I wanted to go and with fun facts being pointed out. I usually did the whole route first to get a sense of the whole area and what I wanted to spend more time seeing later. Worked out great for me and the price was very reasonable. In fact, I enjoyed that approach so much that I booked Hop-On Busses in Budapest, Amsterdam (theirs also include canal boats as well as the busses), and Edinburgh.  I saw so much and had a great time. I did all this as asingle traveler so I never really felt uncomfortable anywhere I went.

11 hours ago, MagnoliaNC said:

... I enjoyed that approach so much that I booked Hop-On Busses in Budapest, Amsterdam (theirs also include canal boats as well as the busses), and Edinburgh.  I saw so much and had a great time. I did all this as a single traveler so I never really felt uncomfortable anywhere I went.

That does sound like a good plan for the bus tours.  Glad you’re getting to go so many great places!