Vespa tour in Florence

trout96

• 2 weeks later...

I would be far too leery of driving a motorized scooter in either Rome (OMG) or Florence (traffic not as hectic as Rome). Obviously, you are more courageous than I.  The historic center of Florence is a ZTL (restricted traffic zone) - info here: http://www.florence-on-line.com/maps-of-florence/florence-driving-map-ztl.html 

The most sought after sights are in the historic center - are you interested in visiting any of them or have you previously visited Florence and are looking for a unique experience?

If I were more fearless, I would think that the Tuscan hills above Florence would be a pleasant experience via scooter.

I would be interested to learn about your experience in Florence should you decide on the vespa tour.

Florence is a city best enjoyed on foot (within the major tourist area).  Driving is very restricted in the center of the city.  As to Vespa's or motorcycles, it is not something I would consider (when I was young I owned a motorcycle).  Italian drivers are a bit crazy (which is why I love driving in Italy) but generally pretty safe....with the exception of motorcycle accidents.  I used to joke that when you see a double line (no-passing) in Italy...those lines are the motorcycle lanes.

Hank

I'm with Hank, and I started driving a scooter in Miami when I was 14, and moved up to a motorcycle in high school and college. This sounds like a great way to be badly injured, especially if you are inexperienced. Several people on our cruise to Bermuda were hurt doing this.

Edited by Langoustine

I had a friend who did the tour but not on a cruise. It is a tour you drive the Vespa. They take you out of the city center and you drive in the hills. It is a guided tour. I am afraid I can't get to the check in on time for the tour. I just want to get out of tourist area for a bit and see pretty scenery.