Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Cousin Eddie

Mardi Gras Europe 9 Day August 31, 2020

Recommended Posts

Going with friends. First time to these ports.  Hoping a lot of excursion suggestions get posted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dew625 said:

Going with friends. First time to these ports.  Hoping a lot of excursion suggestions get posted. 

Me too! We haven’t been to any of these ports. We will visit London in August this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife, daughter and I booked the cruise months ago. First time to these ports and looking forward to see what excursions will be offered. Probably will spend a few days in Copenhagen and London pre and post cruise. Can't wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are also booked on the 9 day cruise.  Right now Deck 14 unless we decide to ask for a change. We have booked a hotel in Copenhagen (free cancellation) unless we decide to change the hotel.  That's all we have for now.  I understand the Oslo tours are posted on Carnival website...just FYI. Will be interested to see what the airline fares will be.....anyone using Carnival air?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silversneakers said:

 I understand the Oslo tours are posted on Carnival website...just FYI. 

I don't see any tours yet for this sailing.  Anyone else?  I saw that info on the site-not-to-be-spoken-of on CC, but ....?????  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silversneakers said:

We are also booked on the 9 day cruise.  Right now Deck 14 unless we decide to ask for a change. We have booked a hotel in Copenhagen (free cancellation) unless we decide to change the hotel.  That's all we have for now.  I understand the Oslo tours are posted on Carnival website...just FYI. Will be interested to see what the airline fares will be.....anyone using Carnival air?

What hotel are you able to book this early. I have had trouble booking this far ahead 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lv2bmovin said:

What hotel are you able to book this early. I have had trouble booking this far ahead 

First Hotel Mayfair through Expedia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, cpshaye said:

I don't see any tours yet for this sailing.  Anyone else?  I saw that info on the site-not-to-be-spoken-of on CC, but ....?????  

I just checked on the CCL website and they are gone but they were there yesterday for Oslo only.  Maybe the are testing the site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silversneakers said:

First Hotel Mayfair through Expedia

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never been to Europe. We are arriving in Copenhagen on Aug 28th to explore the city for a few days before the cruise, then we are planning 4 days in England after the sailing. If anyone can give us ideas of where to stay in London, it would be very appreciated. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will probably stay in Copenhagen for a day or two. We've been to Copenhagen ,Oslo,, Paris  and Southampton [London] before and in Sept, we are on another Cruise out of Hamburg, so by the time of this cruise the only new port will be Gothenburg.

Most crusielines use the same tour operators so you can search on line for city tours for each stop to see what might become available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, icehckylvr said:

Never been to Europe. We are arriving in Copenhagen on Aug 28th to explore the city for a few days before the cruise, then we are planning 4 days in England after the sailing. If anyone can give us ideas of where to stay in London, it would be very appreciated. Thanks

Hi! We are going on a tour of Great Britain in August this year with 3 days to start in London. I don't know anything really yet about our hotel. I just picked the same one as the tour. I have been really watching this youtube channel called "Love and London." She has a ton of wonderful tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Back to back on the maiden cruise and the transatlantic.  Looking forward to our 27th and 28th cruises.  Retirement done right!

Edited by LAVINRAC
Added text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed yesterday that there are excursions listed now for Germany. I haven't even really started looking seriously just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We (George and Linda) will be joining you.  Just booked an Ocean Suite on Deck 11.  This will be our first European cruise, but have traveled to England, France, Switzerland, Germany and Italy.  Looking forward to seeing some new countries, and of course, checking out a brand new ship.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we are planning to travel to Barcelona,  Venice and Paris before the cruise

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, all!  My husband and I are joining you to celebrate my 50th birthday.  We've never been to any of these port except London.  We are looking into if we will be allowed to disembark in Le Havre so we can spend three or four days in Paris.  We are likely going to do some HOHO except for the port with the windmills.  I must see windmills! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over 20 cruises on Carnival and I’ve never heard of someone getting off the ship the day before it docks.  I’m pretty sure Carnival is going to want all sorts of waivers, permits to stay in France rather than U.K., and the logistics of getting your luggage off the ship should be interesting.  I’ve seen medical / family emergency early departures, but never one by choice.  Regardless, contacting Carnival now is the right way to determine what the procedure is, or if it can even be done.  Of course there’s always the option of completing the cruise (one more) day and taking the Chunnel from U.K. to France.  Good luck, hope to see you onboard and hear how it turns out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Joining you for the first sailing of Mardi Gras, just made this a B2B with Copenhagen to Southampton.  Really excited for this trip, our first B2B, first TA, first cruise over 10 days!

Edited by lasekeye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:49 PM, tamirpr said:

Hi, all!  My husband and I are joining you to celebrate my 50th birthday.  We've never been to any of these port except London.  We are looking into if we will be allowed to disembark in Le Havre so we can spend three or four days in Paris.  We are likely going to do some HOHO except for the port with the windmills.  I must see windmills! 🙂

 

Would you mind sharing what you find out about this? We had discussed this because we are going to London next month and don't feel like we need to go back next year. A TA had told me that I would have to pay lots of extra fees and taxes to disembark in France, but I never actually researched the option. We have now invited 2 other couples to come along, so we may not want to leave them early...but we might! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure will let you know!  We are leaving today for Alaska and will research when I get back.  I've read it's a big no-no for US cruises because of the Jones Act, etc., and fees are involved.  But I've read also that on European cruises it doesn't have the same criteria.   This will be my 33rd cruise and I've never even thought about this before, so I'm interested in an answer in writing.  In nothing else, we will get off the next day in Southampton and take the train to Paris.  Just seems like a wasted 24 hours to go that route.

3 minutes ago, crucero said:

 

3 minutes ago, crucero said:

 

Would you mind sharing what you find out about this? We had discussed this because we are going to London next month and don't feel like we need to go back next year. A TA had told me that I would have to pay lots of extra fees and taxes to disembark in France, but I never actually researched the option. We have now invited 2 other couples to come along, so we may not want to leave them early...but we might! 🙂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tamirpr Thank you! Enjoy your Alaska cruise! I have that on my to-do list as well. And same as you, I've never wanted to get off a cruise (planned) before either! I did injure myself in 2016 and consider the vacation guarantee from Carnival with a flight home from Cozumel. Luckily, by the time we got there, I felt much better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 2:49 AM, Havasugirl said:

So excited!!  Anyone taking any side trips before or after?

we will spend a few days in Copenhagen before the cruise as we have a long flight from Australia and then in the UK we are renting a car and exploring the west coast up to Wales...be away about 4 weeks in all....we did the inaugural on Vista and Horizon to New York so this will make it a triple of the new ships 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...