Cruise Critic Community
Cousin Eddie

Mardi Gras Europe 9 Day August 31, 2020

5 hours ago, lasekeye said:

I’m hoping that the scheduling for the Copenhagen hotels are much like what we have found  in the past for other cities.  When trying to book rooms more than 12 months in advance for other vacations, many of the on-line options & also calling the hotel direct is too far ahead.  The on-line options show “no availability “ & calling the hotel we are told “call back when it’s less than a year in advance.”  Then when  have gone on-line &/or called the hotel direct less than 12 months, it’s been amazing how much availability there is.

We did book a room (free cancellation) a few weeks ago for Copenhagen though not quite in the perfect location that we would like & definitely not in the budget we would usually prefer, just in case a better option isn’t available when we look again at the beginning of September.

So, don’t panic quite yet, but do keep in mind how big the Mardi Gras is & how many ppl she will hold & how many will be needing accommodations for a night or 2 before we sail.

I agree, it is a decision when you choose a cruise so far in advance and then start looking at the other details which go with an overseas cruise 

we currently have 2 places booked, an apartment which looks fabulous but has a night club on the first floor and many comments are warning that the noise continues till 5 am ...we have also booked hotel rooms which are slightly more expensive and tiny by comparison to the apartment but both are refundable (the hotel has a small cancellation fee) so we can look at this closer to the cruise

the hotel rooms we ended up booking were showing not available on booking.com and Expedia.com but were available on  look holidays site and I booked through them....I went  through trivago.com 

I also recommend if anyone can book a room/rooms with no cancellation fee involved, that is the better option, this is the main reason I use booking.com and check out all the free cancellation options 

We also don't know if besides the Mardi Gras, if any other cruise ships are in at the same time....so yes being a weekend and the end of summer, the city could be very crowded 

good luck everyone 

Edited by abbey1609
added a comment

On 8/3/2019 at 7:44 PM, teacher34 said:

I noticed that Nicole and Jimbo are both on this cruise. I have enjoyed reading reviews from each of you many times. I hope to meet you both and can’t wait to read your reviews of the trip !

Thanks!  I think we can def make sure we meet and I will def be doing a review.  Very excited for this new ship (have another cruise on here the following January which will be pure Mardi Gras....but that is later.  We are super excited for this sailing,going to places we have never been. Just begun concentrating on pre-cruise stay.  Right now we are cruising with two other couples and trying to get them concentrated on hotels (they think it is. Premature...but we are planners). 

On 8/5/2019 at 6:02 PM, JennN said:

We'll be in Copen for a few days before, London for a few days after, debating trying to get to Scotland and/or doing a layover trip in Iceland on the way back!

By "we" I mean my wife and I and my MIL! We will be celebrating 14 years of marriage when we get off the ship in Southampton! 

Planning on much the same thing (except the celebrating of your marriage, will leave that up to you😁).  Trying to concentrate on the front end portion right now......

13 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks!  I think we can def make sure we meet and I will def be doing a review.  Very excited for this new ship (have another cruise on here the following January which will be pure Mardi Gras....but that is later.  We are super excited for this sailing,going to places we have never been. Just begun concentrating on pre-cruise stay.  Right now we are cruising with two other couples and trying to get them concentrated on hotels (they think it is. Premature...but we are planners). 

I always travel with a group and as I am the main organiser, my friends are happy to hand over the minor details...we are also planners and like to be prepared ...after the cruise we are doing a driving holiday of the west coast of the UK and we book our accommodation before we leave Australia as we like to have a bed for the night all organised and not try to do it at about 4 pm each day, its not everyones idea of a driving holiday but it works for us....we are more limited with our funds and cannot take the  chance of having to pay whatever just for a shower and a bed ...we will spend 3 to 4 nights at about 4 areas so we can do day trips around the amazing countryside 

I now need to look at shore excursions as we always do private tours, I dislike ships tours as they are too big in numbers plus European cities are not made for large tour buses and are best seen from small 8 seater vans with itineraries which can be altered (especially if enjoying a lovely lunch with the locals) On the horizon and vista we had some fabulous guides who took us to where the locals eat and the atmosphere was very European .... plenty of local wine LOL 

Edited by abbey1609
added information

6 minutes ago, abbey1609 said:

I always travel with a group and as I am the main organiser, my friends are happy to hand over the minor details...we are also planners and like to be prepared ...after the cruise we are doing a driving holiday of the west coast of the UK and we book our accommodation before we leave Australia as we like to have a bed for the night all organised and not try to do it at about 4 pm each day, its not everyones idea of a driving holiday but it works for us....we are more limited with our funds and cannot take the  chance of having to pay whatever just for a shower and a bed ...we will spend 3 to 4 nights at about 4 areas so we can do day trips around the amazing countryside 

I now need to look at shore excursions as we always do private tours, I dislike ships tours as they are too big in numbers plus European cities are not made for large tour buses and are best seen from small 8 seater vans with itineraries which can be altered (especially if enjoying a lovely lunch with the locals) On the horizon and vista we had some fabulous guides who took us to where the locals eat and the atmosphere was very European .... plenty of local wine LOL 

While we travel a fair amount, this cruise is all virgin territory (except France) for us.  Going to invest some time and effort to maximize the stops,  I admire the total focus on private tours, but we will have to mix and match.  I agree on the size of the group to get the best return also.  I have high expectations for this cruise, hope it lives up tot he hype.  Your home land is on the short list of my bucket list, would love to catch up and discuss on the ship.

28 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

While we travel a fair amount, this cruise is all virgin territory (except France) for us.  Going to invest some time and effort to maximize the stops,  I admire the total focus on private tours, but we will have to mix and match.  I agree on the size of the group to get the best return also.  I have high expectations for this cruise, hope it lives up tot he hype.  Your home land is on the short list of my bucket list, would love to catch up and discuss on the ship.

I am sure we can catch up .... Australia and New Zealand are becoming very popular with Americans especially with our dollar being so low now against yours...we of course have the splendor relocating to Australia this December and this will operate out of Sydney, most of these ports are new to us also, we have done the Med 3 times so I know how good the local tour operators are and hope to find some equally as good ....our experience with the smaller vans in their old cities are that they drop you at a known tourist spot and then pick you up and take you to the next one...many of the ships tours drop you at one point and you make your way across to return, with a lot of time, this is not a problem but obviously to maximise your time in a strange city, we prefer to get taken around 

If you have  6 people, an 8 seat tour van would be perfect so something to keep in mind...we always request to be back at least 1 to 1.5 hours before our last departure time and we have never even looked like being late

I started to look at tours for this cruise and am beginning to realise it is very different to a med cruise....private tours are a lot more expensive and don't seem to have the variety we have previously experienced

if anyone finds any good tours, please share, looks like a whole new learning curve 

6 hours ago, abbey1609 said:

I started to look at tours for this cruise and am beginning to realise it is very different to a med cruise....private tours are a lot more expensive and don't seem to have the variety we have previously experienced

if anyone finds any good tours, please share, looks like a whole new learning curve 

Exactly what we have found,I am just looking deeper into it, port by port.

On 8/13/2019 at 1:33 AM, abbey1609 said:

I am finding the same thing! With your excursion planning experience, I was hoping you would have better luck! We still have time, but ship tours are not what we really want to do!

2 hours ago, cloverose said:

I am finding the same thing! With your excursion planning experience, I was hoping you would have better luck! We still have time, but ship tours are not what we really want to do!

So far, looked a the first three ports, the bookings are meager (at least thru the obvious online options.  We know someone who traveled (land trip) to Norway and Sweden and sent an email to them for ideas..... 

For those that have been to Italy...they have something called italytourshare dot com or something similar...where you sign up for private tours, others join you, and then you have a group. Does anyone know if any of our ports have something similar? We did 3 of these on the Horizon inaugural and the small private tours were terrific and reasonable. 

On 8/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, LAVINRAC said:

Thanks for the warning.  We went online last night and found that MANY hotel are booked for the three days prior to the cruise.  We did find a room at the Ascot Hotel for the two nights prior (29th & 30th).  The hotel has no lifts but the room we booked does have a private bathroom.  Good luck everyone in finding accommodations if you’re arriving early to Copenhagen.

Many hotels do not open their bookings a year before. I suggest you look again maybe 6 months out.

Karen

10 hours ago, cloverose said:

us either ....the last one we did was on the legend when it was on a med season and it was very disappointing....we were supposed to have time for a sit down lunch but because they were running late, they gave us 10 minutes to grab something on the run, to continue the tour....I haven't done another one since 

2 hours ago, kmrnprnfl said:

Many hotels do not open their bookings a year before. I suggest you look again maybe 6 months out.

Karen

I agree with that but I searched on many sites who said they had no rooms available but when I went on trivago, the hotels which were not available on other sites, were selling on some of the third party sites  which was how we booked the rooms we did....if you only require 1 room, it is easier than if you are looking at 3 or more and as I always travel in a group, I like to have something locked in, just in case....but I do book free cancellations, that way I am still free to keep looking 

On 8/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, telebax51 said:

We were on the Horizon last year and there were no cheers probably because you are allowed to purchase alcohol and wine at each port and take to your cabin, drink as much as you want, I spent about $125 for 15 bottles who needs cheers.

There was Cheers on the Horizon when we went on the Mediterranean and it was because we had to cancel our non EU port that it was removed. VAT taxes need to be applied to alcohol if you go to all EU ports.

We still brought alcohol on board. But nothing beats a drink at Alchemy!!! We saved the bottles for home.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:28 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Planning on much the same thing (except the celebrating of your marriage, will leave that up to you😁).  Trying to concentrate on the front end portion right now......

Hahaha you can celebrate our marriage too!!!

On 8/15/2019 at 6:35 AM, consmarci said:

For those that have been to Italy...they have something called italytourshare dot com or something similar...where you sign up for private tours, others join you, and then you have a group. Does anyone know if any of our ports have something similar? We did 3 of these on the Horizon inaugural and the small private tours were terrific and reasonable. 

I organised private tours on the Legend, the Vista and the Horizon, all on their med tours and yes I was hoping for the same, sadly it does appear that they don't have the same network on these European cities, I have been looking extensively but the prices are so much higher than Italy, France and Spain .... I would be happy to arrange groups of 20 if we can find a similar set up, we have 7 in our group from Australia ...I found on a shore excursions site a private transfer to Bruges return for 64.10 AU PP but its only a 25 minute drive away, so they know how to charge 

Edited by abbey1609
repeated the quote

15 hours ago, abbey1609 said:

I organised private tours on the Legend, the Vista and the Horizon, all on their med tours and yes I was hoping for the same, sadly it does appear that they don't have the same network on these European cities, I have been looking extensively but the prices are so much higher than Italy, France and Spain .... I would be happy to arrange groups of 20 if we can find a similar set up, we have 7 in our group from Australia ...I found on a shore excursions site a private transfer to Bruges return for 64.10 AU PP but its only a 25 minute drive away, so they know how to charge 

I agree it is very different.  There appears to be a much more significant network in the med ports than here.  I was referred to a web site that is tied to CC called viator but have not explored it as of yet.

Wonderful experience with Viator touring Egypt.  Still researching available Viator offerings in London (pre-cruise).  Only one experience with Viator, but it was a very good one.  

3 minutes ago, LAVINRAC said:

Wonderful experience with Viator touring Egypt.  Still researching available Viator offerings in London (pre-cruise).  Only one experience with Viator, but it was a very good one.  

We also used Viator for our 2 day St Petersburg Russia tour.  It was a really good and reliable experience and we wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Teacherkar: 

Can’t wait for this cruise. Doing the B2B sailing right back to N.Y. 

Looking forward eating everyone.

Hi,,, 

we have booked Hotel Tiffany in city center area   Its close to Kobenhan H station,,, but my husband hates to walk with luggage,,, so we were looking at taxis and thought about ordering a van, for $59,,, will take us right to the hotel,,, is there another couple that wants to share it with us? we get into the airport around 3 pm on August 28 (Friday)and would grab the van from there to the Hotel Tiffany, which is downtown by city center area. any one interested in sharing this van? $30 a couple is a  reasonable price. 

We are looking at AirBNB to find a nice 1 BR place, but we have never been to Copenhagen. Unsure what area to stay in.

6 hours ago, Lv2bmovin said:

Hi,,, 

we have booked Hotel Tiffany in city center area   Its close to Kobenhan H station,,, but my husband hates to walk with luggage,,, so we were looking at taxis and thought about ordering a van, for $59,,, will take us right to the hotel,,, is there another couple that wants to share it with us? we get into the airport around 3 pm on August 28 (Friday)and would grab the van from there to the Hotel Tiffany, which is downtown by city center area. any one interested in sharing this van? $30 a couple is a  reasonable price. 

We don’t have our flights confirmed yet, but we too are staying at the Tiffany (for sat & sun night only), we are very interested in sharing a cab/van to the ship though!