hubbard glacier

salabc

If you find out anything that sounds legitimate (LOL), please post it here.  I tried asking Allen Marine on their Facebook page when HAL notified us that it had been cancelled but they never replied.  

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

I was looking at our May 2020 cruise personalizer and noticed that the Allen Marine Hubbard Glacier tour was being offered again.  Even though our June 30, 2019 excursion was cancelled due to fog, we decided to give it a go for our May 2020 cruise.  Keeping fingers crossed that all goes well and we don't get cancelled again.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine went this week. She said the ship (Celebrity Millennium) got closer than the small ship did and she said the windows kept fogging up so those on the Millennium got better views. She would not recommend the excursion.

I suggested they complain.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

A friend of mine went this week. She said the ship (Celebrity Millennium) got closer than the small ship did and she said the windows kept fogging up so those on the Millennium got better views. She would not recommend the excursion.

That's not good news.  Thanks for the post. I would be very disappointed if my cruise ship got closer than my excursion boat.  I hope your friend says something to Celebrity about her experience --- sounds like the excursion fell short of expectations.

2 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

That's not good news.  Thanks for the post. I would be very disappointed if my cruise ship got closer than my excursion boat.  I hope your friend says something to Celebrity about her experience --- sounds like the excursion fell short of expectations.

I know the weather earlier in the day looked ugly. Not sure what it was when she went but I am guessing it wasn't great if the windows kept getting fogged up. I think she was there Saturday.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:08 PM, zelker said:

If you find out anything that sounds legitimate (LOL), please post it here.  I tried asking Allen Marine on their Facebook page when HAL notified us that it had been cancelled but they never replied.  

I emailed them directly questions and got some answers, BUT i wrote a few days ago regarding cancellations and the same lady has not responded. I am sure they dont want to tell me anything but when this is one of your "major" excursions, i would like to have warning so I can book something else instead! We go next week and I am concerned about the other post By ITALY52  stating the cruise ship got closer than Marine Allen! I think I would want my money back!

Edited by 232271

19 hours ago, Coral said:

Our HAL Amsterdam cruise in June got closer than the excursion. No reason I could see to do the excursion. 

• Like 1

Just off the Azamara Quest where we did the Hubbard Glacier excursion with Allen Marine. They were very nice but it was NOT worth $500/couple.  We got very close (200 yards maybe) which was awesome. And the calving was great too. But our ship got almost as close and saw the exact same thing we did.  I’d thought it was something for a no-excursion day and I regret spending that much money.

4 hours ago, 232271 said:

Found this link thought it might be helpful: note the FOG on some days, Allen Marine emailed me back and stated they will cancel for FOG

http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/United-States-Of-America/Alaska/Hubbard-Glacier/14-Day-Forecast.aspx

Yes, Allen Marine will cancel due to fog as that happened to us.

4 hours ago, 232271 said:

I emailed them directly questions and got some answers, BUT i wrote a few days ago regarding cancellations and the same lady has not responded. I am sure they dont want to tell me anything but when this is one of your "major" excursions, i would like to have warning so I can book something else instead! We go next week and I am concerned about the other post By ITALY52  stating the cruise ship got closer than Marine Allen! I think I would want my money back!

Please review my quote again --- I said:  "if..." the cruise ship got closer.  I was not the original poster of the message and was just making an observation about the information being presented.

3 hours ago, Sujormik said:

They were very nice but it was NOT worth $500/couple.  We got very close (200 yards maybe) which was awesome. And the calving was great too. But our ship got almost as close and saw the exact same thing we did.  I’d thought it was something for a no-excursion day and I regret spending that much money.

The glacier is just so huge it does seem like you’re very close to the glacier but vessels don’t get that close.  Allen Marine indicates they get ¼ mile to ½ mile from the face.

As for the excursion, it’s beginning to sound like expensive insurance that just covers one day.  Your ship may make it to the face of the glacier but in case it doesn’t, pay $260 and the excursion you will get you there. If the ship gets to the face, you’ve wasted your money.

Some of the appeal with the excursion was the increased potential for wildlife sightings as described. Not reading much about that.

@Sujormik  Did you see much wildlife?

8 hours ago, 232271 said:

What ship are you cruising on? Just wondering if it just the Amsterdam that they cancelled.

My friend paid $309 pp through Celebrity. She did book the cruise late (not sure if that is what caused the higher price - but in my experience, Celebrity's excursions are more expensive than Princess's. I haven't heard if she complained and got some money back or not.

Edited by Coral

6 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Some of the appeal with the excursion was the increased potential for wildlife sightings as described. Not reading much about that.

@Sujormik  Did you see much wildlife?

We did see some wildlife, seals and sea otters if I recall as well as golden eagles. Overall wildlife sightings were mostly disappointing for us, though some friends had amazing experiences off Icy Strait Point with bears and multiple types of whales.

• Like 1

we did this excursion  on the 21st juley ( while on board the golden princess)

and in our opinion were money well spent 

we were much closer than the ship and being boat extremely fast we had the opportunity to stay much longer  furthermnore on teh way back the boat went  close and almost all around the haenke island

so much more opportunity for photos

• Like 1

"salabc" -- Wonderful, glad you had a great time.  Unfortunately for us, our excursion was cancelled due to heavy fog.  However, we have not given up hope and have booked the excursion for next year. 

Currently onboard Amsterdam.  Was told by EXC staff onboard that the excursion is being alternated between Amsterdam and Island Princess so they get to do it next week and we don’t.  I asked why they even put it on the available excursions list, let us book it and pay for it months ago, and then canceled 10 days before we embarked, thus holding our money all that time and we wind up paying interest on the credit card bill on it as SURELY the two related cruise lines knew that would be the case.  The EXC staff person said he didn’t know the answer as that decision would be “above my pay grade”.  

40 minutes ago, zelker said:

Currently onboard Amsterdam.  Was told by EXC staff onboard that the excursion is being alternated between Amsterdam and Island Princess so they get to do it next week and we don’t.  I asked why they even put it on the available excursions list, let us book it and pay for it months ago, and then canceled 10 days before we embarked, thus holding our money all that time and we wind up paying interest on the credit card bill on it as SURELY the two related cruise lines knew that would be the case.  The EXC staff person said he didn’t know the answer as that decision would be “above my pay grade”.  

With the amount they are charging - they can purchase another ship to use for these tours so they don't need to alternate. Unless it is a permit issue.

I have no doubt decisions are made at the corporate level and the people on the ship do what corporate tells them. I often feel sorry for them.

2 hours ago, zelker said:

Wow, that really sucks!  I was really looking forward to it.