Explorer Feb 1-17 Buenos Aires to Santiago Live

RachelG

Back in the land of fast internet. Thanks everyone, for the appreciation.  I started writing a blog for myself mostly, to remember the trip, but decided to publish it here in hopes that others would find something useful.

just a word on our flight from Santiago to DFW.  It sounded as if we were in a tuberculosis ward.  I have never heard more coughing in my life.  And it wasn’t just people from our ship, as I recognized only one other couple, and they weren’t coughing.  Not sure what is going around in South America now, but I sure hope we don’t get it after being exposed for 9 1/2 hours in a plane.

Rachel, even when Ginny and I are not cruising with you and George, I feel like I'm cruising with you via your wonderful writing and pics--thanks!  And please relay my congrats to George for making it through this cruise, sartorially speaking, by the seat of his (one pair of dress) pants!  

Rich

What a great thread! I’ve just now had a chance to read through it and I enjoyed each and every post. I’m all the more excited about our upcoming April cruise on the Explorer (our first on Regent).

Since it sounds like you are a healthy eater,  would love to hear more about some of the healthy choices available. On a couple nights, you mentioned a main dish salad from a salad bar. Which venue has that?

Hi Rachel

Belated thanks for this thread which I really enjoyed. Was able to report to my Mother also which gave us plenty of opportunity to reminisce. We sailed out of BA last year on Mariner but turned left for Rio rather than the way you went. We were also on Explorer in October from Venice. We loved the cruise (perfect weather in the Med) and lots to like about Explorer but we did not care for some of the décor. Hope for better on Splendor!

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to post, very much appreciated.

Paul

Tucruisers, some of the décor in Explorer is a bit over the top, no doubt about that.

kjbacon, I do try to eat healthy most of the time.  The salad bar at dinner is available in Sette Mar (La Veranda) and at the pool grill.  If I have had a big or late lunch, it is my preferred dinner.

The Canyon Ranch selections in Compass Rose are great.  It is a little more challenging to find healthy options in Chartreuse and Prime 7, but possible.  And the giant prawns in Pacific Rim are absolute heaven.

They always have one flavor of sugar free ice cream available as well as a Canyon Ranch dessert in Compass Rose

Thanks, RachelG, we try to have a salad as our meal for lunch or dinner most days and salad bars are great for the variety. Our vacation strategy, that seems to be working so far, is to have a very healthy breakfast, a main dish salad for lunch or dinner, and a not too terribly indulgent 3rd meal (like the Canyon Ranch). Neither of us have had our very favorite breakfast, Eggs Benedict, since the summer so we may just have to do that on the trip and have salad for lunch and dinner that day.

I am very excited about the Canyon Ranch Menu! I’m not sure those choices are lower in sodium but we did set up through our travel agent to be able to request a no added salt option. That’s so great and I’m not sure if I would be able to do that with other lines. Thinking as I type ... that could make us exclusive to Regent in a heart beat (excuse the pun).

We have ressies in Pacific Rim on our first night so I will to try those giant prawns as my first meal 🙂 

Edited by kjbacon
Fixing an error.

I was on same cruise,,,but have not read all the posts yet.

But we really enjoyed it,,,,just have one thing to warn those on next cruise on Explorer...be very careful of steps in Constellation Theater...I tripped 2 times and saw many others do same.Not marked well and easy to miss.

Loved the doorbells,,,so handy.

Also, anyone booking this in future,,,DO NOT book flights on Copa Air,,,we,along with 4 other Regent cruisers ,,,were stuck in Santiago for extra nite due to cancellation of our flights...very poor communication and handling of whole thing. Got home 2 days later and just angry and exhausted....so BEWARE. Have been flying MANY yrs.and worst experience EVER.

Wow!   I was on the Copa flight that left Santiago on Monday at noon.   Service was pretty poor, but at least both that flight and the connecting one left on time.   When were you supposed to leave SCL?   I guess we were lucky.  

I had heard that Regent booked a bunch of people on Copa.  Some had connections through the Dominican Republic.  Another reason I do my own air.

Agree about the steps in the theater.  I saw several people trip, including one guy during the comedy show.

unfortunately, all the hacking and coughing peopleon our flight from Santiago to DFW infected me with the worse cough and old I have had in years.  I knew it was pretty inevitable as I was surrounded on all sides.  George was in the very front seat in business class and seems to have escaped it.

Edited by RachelG

Sorry, but I did book my own flight,,,not Regent.Can t blame anyone but Copa.

We were on the flight from Santiago to Panama,,then connecting. Glad someone got off on time tho.

Did put down in comments on critique about stairs,,but till drydock,,not much can be done.At least they should clearly mark the stairs,,,small lites not doing it.

BUt loved everything elso,,,great ship,crew,food,etc. 

Glad I took all the great side trips too,,,,esp.the Torres Del Paine one...worth every penny. Gorgeous and great weather to view all the mountains.

Only drawback was Punta Del Este,,,too much time to SHOP,,,,and majority wanted to just go back to ship,,,,ended up booking taxis for 3 groups.Found out other bus DID take them back,,,,boo...

TS:  Appreciated your insights; as well as others who have been aboard Explorer.  I find it hard to understand why remedial and/or mitigating efforts have not been made concerning Theater steps.  These should have occurred shortly after initial 2017 sailing segments which we enjoyed; and numerous comments from guests, including my wife and I, on mid-cruise and final comment cards.  Like, three sets of each.  Plus, my letter to upper management after no action had been taken between the first and third experience.  Witnessed a guest just-ahead of us trip upon leaving the Theater following a show.  The next night, that almost happened to me.  Just put some reflecting tape, or a side-light to demark the steps.

We will be back aboard Explorer at Stockholm in a few months.  Hope some action will/has been taken on the matter before someone really takes a bad fall and breaks something.  Just-in case:  I am bringing along a small, but powerful pocket flashlight to illuminate the way.  Just-like in the old days at the movie theaters when ushers helped late arrivals find a seat. 

What is it about Santiago?  A few-years back, the first leg of return to USA was on Chilean Air.  Lots of coughing, to include one of the flight attendants.  I caught the bug; my wife did not.  Heavy coughing led to a trip to the doctor. Heavy taping to prevent breaking or dislocating a rib, plus medication for a form of pneumonia which cannot be specifically recalled, or spelled.  A 10-day regimen of meds and rest took care of the matter.  But, this experience makes me wary of any cruise itinerary which entails flights out of Chile.  On the brighter side: beautiful country and lots of penguins.

GOARMY!

3 hours ago, GOARMY said:

What is it about Santiago?  A few-years back, the first leg of return to USA was on Chilean Air.  Lots of coughing, to include one of the flight attendants.  I caught the bug; my wife did not.  Heavy coughing led to a trip to the doctor. Heavy taping to prevent breaking or dislocating a rib, plus medication for a form of pneumonia which cannot be specifically recalled, or spelled.  A 10-day regimen of meds and rest took care of the matter.  But, this experience makes me wary of any cruise itinerary which entails flights out of Chile.  On the brighter side: beautiful country and lots of penguins.

GOARMY!

GoArmy, I thought I had broken or dislocated a rib last week with the extreme coughing I was doing.  So painful I could barely move or breath.  It was crazy, and I am the person who never gets sick.  I ended up with the strongest cough med available, and am on the mend.  Fortunately George did not catch it—he would have been in the hospital if he had been that sick.    

Rachel:  Not to wander too-far off this Thread, which has about run its course.  Share your concern.  It is difficult to isolate when one acquires a particular "bug".  But, I had a moral certainty such was obtained when on that flight departing Chile.

Upon final next-day landing at SEATAC, my wife, a retired RN, noted my particular continuing condition, which was getting only worse.  Immediately--upon retrieval of baggage--to my Doctor, on an emergent matter. That is when the diagnosis was made.  Thus, meds and rest.  And, another Thus, with a strong suggestion from spouse and Doctor as to caution as to putting myself (or my wife) in a future, similar scenario.  We are not getting any younger.  So, no return to Santiago, either coming or going.

Hope to see you on upcoming Explorer and Splendor cruises--none of which will involve Chile.  I am pretty sure we have shared previous cruising experiences.  

Best--and good health.

GOARMY!

WOnder if any of you on this cruise have new info re,the dancer Jason..who had to be med evac d at one port? I asked one of the male dancers and he told me about it,,but not as to injury or illness? Hope he s doing better and want him to know some guests missed him and  were asking about him.

Perhaps someone on Regent can let us know and give info and updates?