Cruise Critic Community
Meliador007

A(nother) Question about Dress Code

Greetings, I'm a newbie and will take our first Cunard cruise this August. 

Question: on theme balls, like the black & white ball, would I stick like a sore thumb if I did not wear a black/white gown? 

If this question has already been answered, please do not hesitate to point me to the link.

I love this board because of its wealth of information!!!

thank you in advance,

Meliador (Louise)

The themes are just suggestions, having said that, lots of people do stick to black and white as it's the easiest of the themes.

But you won't stick out like a sore thumb, just somebody beautifully dressed in red, green, blue or whatever colour you choose !

The themes are aimed at the ballroom dancers as it's only in the Queen's Room that they have the themed dancing and dressing up competitions.

As has been suggested, there is absolutely no obligation to comply and you won't stick out if you don't.

However, the "Gala" dress code does still apply to most of the ship including all dining rooms, but not the smash and grab.

Stewart

Thank you Host Hattie and Big Marc 1953!  I'm happy to hear that wearing a nice gown will work, even if it's not black/white per se.  We did book on the QM2 because of the ball room dancing, so I guess I will tell my DH that I have to go shopping.... 🙂

1 hour ago, Meliador007 said:

Thank you Host Hattie and Big Marc 1953!  I'm happy to hear that wearing a nice gown will work, even if it's not black/white per se.  We did book on the QM2 because of the ball room dancing, so I guess I will tell my DH that I have to go shopping.... 🙂

Not compulsory for the ball room either.BTW, I wore crepe dress trousers for all 3 gala nights. Different tops and sewed up a couple of flowy chiffon capelets to meet the theme colours.  There were other colours on the dance floor during the B&W if neither are your colour.  But, by all means, don't share this with your husband if you feel the need to shop 😉

I wore grey on a black and white night and didn't feel out of place.

The Black & White Ball is the only one for which we make any effort to dress for the "theme" (since it's pretty easy, especially for a tuxedo), but even then you wouldn't stand out wearing something flashy in any color.

I, too, am thankful you asked this question.   I have a black gotten,  and some sparkly separates.  I think I Will feel comfortable in each of them! 

Thank you all for your insights... Once I know for sure what the themes are (I couldn't find anything past M915), I will likely take a trip to the fabric store and put something together...

Louise 

Depends on the theme in my experience. 

With black & white, I found that most people stick to it as it is relatively simple. Especially for men. That said, I don’t think you will ‘stick out’ if you wear something else formal.

For other themes, it really depends what they are. For the Victorian Ball on QV, most people just seemed to wear their regular formal/gala wear, although there were a few canes, Paisley prints and fake moustaches! I’d brought a top hat, but it felt a little silly and I stopped wearing it after a while. 

For the masequerade balls, most people do seem to have a mask of one sort or the other. 

If you’re minded to really go for a theme, I’d recommend trying to get everything you need before you board both for availability and for price. 

AF 

With the Mardi Gras season nearly upon us, you might check at party stores for fancy masks you can wear, and bring them with you. 

3 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

With the Mardi Gras season nearly upon us, you might check at party stores for fancy masks you can wear, and bring them with you. 

The Dollar Tree store has had really decent masks in the past for just a buck! 

Thank you all for your replies!

As you can imagine, we are beyond excited (and a little anxious too...)!

Louise 

On formal nights do you have to wear a gown?  Can you wear trousers with sparkly tops, or palazzos with a dressy top?  Is a gown required or just suggested?  Thanks.

55 minutes ago, smarks said:

On formal nights do you have to wear a gown?  Can you wear trousers with sparkly tops, or palazzos with a dressy top?  Is a gown required or just suggested?  Thanks.

No, gowns are not required. That's only a suggestion. What you are suggesting sounds fine to me as an alternative. Take a look at the "What to Pack" page found here on the Cunard US website. I think you will find an example within the "Gala evening attire" section that looks similar to what you are suggesting.

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

Please be aware that the "What to Pack" page on the Cunard US website unfortunately confuses things by calling the dress codes "Formal" and "Gala Evening", when they are actually known as "Smart Attire" and "Gala Evening". The "Gala Evening" dress code is the more formal of the two (where gowns are suggested).

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Please be aware that the "What to Pack" page on the Cunard US website unfortunately confuses things by calling the dress codes "Formal" and "Gala Evening", when they are actually known as "Smart Attire" and "Gala Evening". The "Gala Evening" dress code is the more formal of the two (where gowns are suggested).

Perhaps that's because Cunard's "Smart Attire" is close to what American-focused mass-market lines call "Formal."

Just giving some undeserved benefit of the doubt to the website programmers... 🙂

8 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Perhaps that's because Cunard's "Smart Attire" is close to what American-focused mass-market lines call "Formal."

Just giving some undeserved benefit of the doubt to the website programmers... 🙂

I agree, especially since "Smart Attire" isn't a particularly common term in American parlance.

It just gets all rather confusing when it comes to questions such as when smarks asked "On formal nights do you have to wear a gown?". The assumption is that question is about evenings that used to be called "Formal" and are now called "Gala". Then the new "What to Pack" page on the US website starts obfuscating the term "Formal" by applying it to evenings that used to be called "Informal" and are now called "Smart Attire".

I better stop now before my head hurts. :classic_wink:

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I agree, especially since "Smart Attire" isn't a particularly common term in American parlance.

It just gets all rather confusing when it comes to questions such as when smarks asked "On formal nights do you have to wear a gown?". The assumption is that question is about evenings that used to be called "Formal" and are now called "Gala". Then the new "What to Pack" page on the US website starts obfuscating the term "Formal" by applying it to evenings that used to be called "Informal" and are now called "Smart Attire".

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Think the American programmers appear to may have tried to translate English into American, without any formal English Language training.   This would also confuse England and it's language if it was the other way round.

20 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Ha Ha Ha.  That is funny but true.  Yes, I do get confused on Formal which I think of as gowns and smart as something nice as in trousers and nice top.  I will do my best to adhere to the dress code without wearing a gown.  They are beautiful but they are not for me.  Thank you for some clarity. 

22 hours ago, bluemarble said:

No, gowns are not required. That's only a suggestion. What you are suggesting sounds fine to me as an alternative. Take a look at the "What to Pack" page found here on the Cunard US website. I think you will find an example within the "Gala evening attire" section that looks similar to what you are suggesting.

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

Thank you bluemarble for the reply.  I will go over to the link you posted.  Glad to know I don't have to go out and buy a gown.  I really appreciate your help.