Cruise Critic Community
azmay1

Carnival Mardi Gras Transatlantic September 9-23, 2020

10 hours ago, Rosethorn40 said:

Laura and Marty here from Wild, Wonderful West Virginia. We booked last night and got the last Spa Forward Vista Balcony (Not exactly sure what they are called). This will be our first Transatlantic. Looking forward to the ship. We sailed on one of the first Caribbean cruises for the Vista, and stayed in the Havana Cabana area, which we loved, but it appears much different on this ship, and the pool is itty bitty and tucked away. Glad I went with a Spa cabin this time, but was just looking at the deck plans and it appears the spa is on Deck 6?, but the cabins are on 17?? Seems a bit odd. This will also be our first time on a super big ship, not that the Vista is small, but it seems that this ship will be closer in size to the NCL and RCCL mega ships. 

Welcome to Roll Call.

Carol

10 hours ago, dioxide45 said:

We are booked on the cruise. Booked a Spa Ocean View. Hope this will be our second transatlantic as we are hoping to book the NCL Encore for this fall.

We must be neighbors, because I believe there are only 4 of these. We also have a spa oceanview on deck 5.

We're booked on this cruise as well as the Inaugural from Europe. This will be our first TA (did Vista and Horizon inaugurals)  and we're excited about a new adventure. We have lots of time to plan these trips. Look forward to learning about the Mardi Gras and meeting y'all.

Hi there!  I'm booked in an 8A balcony on the 9th deck.  This looks like some BIG ship!  Did the Vista TA, Dream & Magic TA's also.  Crossed the North Atlantic on the Legend back in 2013.  Am looking forward to the ports in Portugal.  Will probably be traveling with my daughter.

We'll be on the Splendor TransPacific in October this year.

Joyce

9 hours ago, Rosesgt said:

We're booked on this cruise as well as the Inaugural from Europe. This will be our first TA (did Vista and Horizon inaugurals)  and we're excited about a new adventure. We have lots of time to plan these trips. Look forward to learning about the Mardi Gras and meeting y'all.

Welcome to Roll Call.

Carol

4 hours ago, jgeraci7 said:

Hi there!  I'm booked in an 8A balcony on the 9th deck.  This looks like some BIG ship!  Did the Vista TA, Dream & Magic TA's also.  Crossed the North Atlantic on the Legend back in 2013.  Am looking forward to the ports in Portugal.  Will probably be traveling with my daughter.

Joyce

Welcome to Roll Call Joyce. It will be nice to see you again.

Carol

Booked the Inaugural and Transatlantic in a spa cove balcony on deck 5. Myra and I also sailed on the Vista last Med leg and Transatlantic. We will be sailing on the Splendor this October transpacific cruise to Singapore. Looking forward to seeing some old friends. 

13 hours ago, jmlml said:

Booked the Inaugural and Transatlantic in a spa cove balcony on deck 5. Myra and I also sailed on the Vista last Med leg and Transatlantic. We will be sailing on the Splendor this October transpacific cruise to Singapore. Looking forward to seeing some old friends. 

Welcome to Roll Call. I was also on the Vista Transatlantic.

Carol

My wife and I just booked the 14 day transatlantic on the Carnival Mardi Gras from England to New York, Sept 9 - 23, 2020. We did the 14 day transatlantic on the Carnival Horizon from Spain to New York, May 9 - 23, 2018, so it will be interesting to see the differences between the two new ships. We also have a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise booked for November 2020 on the Carnival Panorama. I definitely like the Vista Class ships. I think I'm going to like the Excellence Class ships as much as the Vista Class ships. For what my wife and I like about cruising, the bigger the ships the more we have enjoyed them. We like having a lot of music and restaurant venues to select from.

By the time we board this cruise it will be our 17th cruise, our 6th on Carnival, and 11 of them in just the last 3 years. So far we love cruising and especially like Carnval's new big cruise ships.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:22 AM, consmarci said:

We must be neighbors, because I believe there are only 4 of these. We also have a spa oceanview on deck 5.

It seems that we are. I didn't realize there were only four. I wonder why they put those four OV rooms between all those balconies?

My guess would be it is something structural about the ship as to why there are 4 Spa Ocean View Staterooms without balconies where they are located. It will probably be easier to figure out when we are on the ship.

I am looking at the map and see what you mean about the 4 balcony rooms between your Ocean View Spa Staterooms and the Spa facilities. However, looking at the color key to the deck plan map, it appears those 4 balcony suites are also classified as "Cloud 9 Spa Accommodations". The mid-brown color is keyed as being "Cove Balcony Cloud 9 Spa Accommodations". There are 8 of those, 4 more forward than the 4 Spa Ocean View Staterooms and 8 more aft of the 4 Spa Ocean View Staterooms. There also appear to be many other types of staterooms in the "Cloud 9 Spa Accommodations" category including Interior, Forward-View Extended Balcony, Suite, and Deluxe Vista Suite. They all seem to be around the "Cloud 9 Spa" section of the ship. My wife and I are also on Deck 5, in a balcony but not in a Spa Stateroom. But our stateroom is close to your stateroom and where other Spa Staterooms are located.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:11 PM, jgeraci7 said:

Joyce

We were on the Horizon Transatlantic. We were disappointed to find out the Panorama is going to be crew only on their TA trip or we would have booked that cruise too. We do have the Panorama booked for a 7 day Mexico Riviera cruise late in November 2020. We will also be on the Splendor TransPacific in October this year so may see you then! We just got off the Splendor last week after a 14 Day Hawaii Cruise. Prior to this Mardi Gras cruise the largest ship we have ever been on was the Horizon.

12 hours ago, CruiseRookiesCom said:

My wife and I just booked the 14 day transatlantic on the Carnival Mardi Gras from England to New York, Sept 9 - 23, 2020. We did the 14 day transatlantic on the Carnival Horizon from Spain to New York, May 9 - 23, 2018, so it will be interesting to see the differences between the two new ships. We also have a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise booked for November 2020 on the Carnival Panorama. I definitely like the Vista Class ships. I think I'm going to like the Excellence Class ships as much as the Vista Class ships. For what my wife and I like about cruising, the bigger the ships the more we have enjoyed them. We like having a lot of music and restaurant venues to select from.

By the time we board this cruise it will be our 17th cruise, our 6th on Carnival, and 11 of them in just the last 3 years. So far we love cruising and especially like Carnval's new big cruise ships.

Welcome to Roll Call. Several of us were on the Horizon Transatlantic.

Carol

hi all     we are booked on the TA   when this cruise will be our 25th cruise and 24th on carnival.......still feel like a newbie though never did a TA and dont know what to expect 

Warren And Connie 

3 minutes ago, warcon said:

hi all     we are booked on the TA   when this cruise will be our 25th cruise and 24th on carnival.......still feel like a newbie though never did a TA and dont know what to expect 

Warren And Connie 

Welcome to Roll Call. You are in good company. I have done 17 Transatlantics. I hope we can get some activities going for the sea days.

Carol 

I think there will definitely be some familiar faces here from the Horizon TA. I booked a Havana cabin without even seeing the deck plan. I only had verbal descriptions from the Carnival agent who called me. The spa on deck 4 thing seemed odd, so I booked Havana instead, based on two Horizon sailings where I didn't try the Havana area. Now I see that there are Spa Cabins on 17 though, and serenity has a pool this time. I know if I want a spa interior I'd better act fast. Oh, what to do!

Hi !  We are booked on this T/A and pretty excited, our first one.  Nervous about the flying to England part but it will be so worth it.  Spa cove balcony for us👍

29 minutes ago, Yronica said:

I think there will definitely be some familiar faces here from the Horizon TA. I booked a Havana cabin without even seeing the deck plan. I only had verbal descriptions from the Carnival agent who called me. The spa on deck 4 thing seemed odd, so I booked Havana instead, based on two Horizon sailings where I didn't try the Havana area. Now I see that there are Spa Cabins on 17 though, and serenity has a pool this time. I know if I want a spa interior I'd better act fast. Oh, what to do!

Welcome to Roll Call.

Carol

23 minutes ago, tree.critter said:

Hi !  We are booked on this T/A and pretty excited, our first one.  Nervous about the flying to England part but it will be so worth it.  Spa cove balcony for us👍

Welcome to Roll Call. The TA"s are a lot of fun .Hopefully will be getting bunch of activities together for the many sea days.

Carol

12 hours ago, azmay1 said:

Welcome to Roll Call. Several of us were on the Horizon Transatlantic.

Carol

Thank you. I think my wife and I will probably book a Carnival Tranatlantic whenever they launch a new ship to head to the U.S. We like cruising on Carnival and are just starting to earn our way toward Platinum, but Carnival seems to be pretty limited in where they offer cruises. Most of their cruises stick pretty close to the U.S. except for the rare Transatlantic or Transpacific. I know Carnival owns and operates many other cruise line brands but cruising on those doesn't help me to reach Platinum. So, instead, my wife and I will be doing a number of cruises on NCL or Princess as those offer cruises in Europe, Scandinavia, Australia, etc. I hope that the move of the Carnival Splendor to Australia in late 2019 is indicative that Carnival plans on expanding their operations there. 

4 minutes ago, CruiseRookiesCom said:

Thank you. I think my wife and I will probably book a Carnival Tranatlantic whenever they launch a new ship to head to the U.S. We like cruising on Carnival and are just starting to earn our way toward Platinum, but Carnival seems to be pretty limited in where they offer cruises. Most of their cruises stick pretty close to the U.S. except for the rare Transatlantic or Transpacific. I know Carnival owns and operates many other cruise line brands but cruising on those doesn't help me to reach Platinum. So, instead, my wife and I will be doing a number of cruises on NCL or Princess as those offer cruises in Europe, Scandinavia, Australia, etc. I hope that the move of the Carnival Splendor to Australia in late 2019 is indicative that Carnival plans on expanding their operations there. 

We have done the same. We start Transatlantics on Carnival Freedom in 2007. We have done 17 Transatlantics since then. We were on the Breeze, Destiny, Sunshine. Vista, Horizon, and now the Mardi Gras. We went on Carnival Legend to Australia. We are doing a Transatlantic on the Legend.

Carol

6 hours ago, tree.critter said:

I wouldn't worry about the flying too much. My wife and I love the jazz scene in London and fly from Los Angeles to London at least a couple of times ever year. My wife's best friend has also lived in London for decades and we go to visit her also.  I guess we go so often we've even qualified for Registered Traveler status when entering the UK, sort of like Global Entry in the U.S. The only thing that ever bothered us about flying to England is the long lines at Border Enforcement when you get off the plane, but now we can bypass those lines! We usually fly Norwegian Air Shuttle as they fly non-stop from Los Angeles to London, only fly the new Dreamliners, and have fares starting at less than $200 per person each way. We opt to pay an extra $100 per person so that we can pick our seats, get 2 meals, and can check one item of baggage each. I don't think an airfare of less than $300 per person each way non-stop in a Dreamliner can be beat by any other airline. Norwegian Air Shuttle is even less if flying from Chicago or New York. We will probably book them for this trip but they don't schedule flights more than about 6 months in advance so we'll have to wait until it comes up on their calendar.

55 minutes ago, azmay1 said:

We have done the same. We start Transatlantics on Carnival Freedom in 2007. We have done 17 Transatlantics since then. We were on the Breeze, Destiny, Sunshine. Vista, Horizon, and now the Mardi Gras. We went on Carnival Legend to Australia. We are doing a Transatlantic on the Legend.

Carol

I noticed the Carnival Radiance is doing a Transatlantic trip, but that looks like a smaller ship that is a $200 million transformation of what used to be the Carnival Victory. I think I'll stick to just doing Transatlantics on the brand new Carnival megaships. We've found the smaller ships tend to be limited in the number of live music bands and venues offered. We are happy if there is one live band that we like on a cruise but really lucked out on our 14 day Hawaii cruise. They had about 5 live bands and all of them were fantastic! 

3 hours ago, CruiseRookiesCom said:

I wouldn't worry about the flying too much. My wife and I love the jazz scene in London and fly from Los Angeles to London at least a couple of times ever year. My wife's best friend has also lived in London for decades and we go to visit her also.  I guess we go so often we've even qualified for Registered Traveler status when entering the UK, sort of like Global Entry in the U.S. The only thing that ever bothered us about flying to England is the long lines at Border Enforcement when you get off the plane, but now we can bypass those lines! We usually fly Norwegian Air Shuttle as they fly non-stop from Los Angeles to London, only fly the new Dreamliners, and have fares starting at less than $200 per person each way. We opt to pay an extra $100 per person so that we can pick our seats, get 2 meals, and can check one item of baggage each. I don't think an airfare of less than $300 per person each way non-stop in a Dreamliner can be beat by any other airline. Norwegian Air Shuttle is even less if flying from Chicago or New York. We will probably book them for this trip but they don't schedule flights more than about 6 months in advance so we'll have to wait until it comes up on their calendar.

Some great info, thank you!  I think the 8+ hours cramped in coach class with our long legs and aging bodies is the part I hope to get through without too much whining on my part.  Have been browsing at air transport and the Norwegian line definitely seems to be the go to for value.  I did stumble a bit trying to figure out their baggage fees and if carryon baggage was included in the current fare schedule.  This will be my first time ever flying out of the country.

Hello everyone! My husband and I are booked in one of the new spa extended forward facing balconies. We are so excited for our first TA and cannot wait to start the pre and post cruise planning!