Cruise Critic Community
azmay1

Carnival Mardi Gras Transatlantic September 9-23, 2020

4 hours ago, caribnsnrklr said:

Thank you!  We are very excited to be going.  We both have our "first" suites too on both inaugural and transatlantic.  Friend Susan saved her room which is next to ours so the move for me should be minimal.  I am hoping all the sea days don't get to us lol but hopefully being in bigger room will help.  I am leaving for a trip to Europe in less than two months and we end up in London between flights for a 10 hour layover (airline changed our flight).  Was hoping someone on here who has been to London Heathrow could tell me what the best sites to see in short time since we are looking at taking the tube during layover from airport.  Thanks  Melody.

10 hours is a bit tight for touring London as Heathrow is about an hour by either tube or train to the heart of London. If you have to go out and back in through Border Enforcement and Airport Security, that will easily whittle down your 10 hours to 8 hours or less. Heathrow itself is a huge airport. On our last flight once we got through airport security there was a sign that said "30 minutes from here to your terminal" referring to how long it would take the average person walking and using moving stairways to get to their terminal. I doubt once you get to Downtown London you'll have more than 5 hours there. Taking the Hop On Hop Off Bus might get you a quick overview of a lot of London, but you have to go into London to get on the Hop On Hop Off bus. If you just want something quick that will give you a bird's eye view of London you might try starting with either the London Eye or The Shard. Both are pretty close to Tube stations.

3 hours ago, mallan65 said:

Hi all!  My hubby and I are booked on this and the Inaugural . . . our third B2B and second TA.  We were on the Horizon TA with a lot of you as well.  Two 50-somethings from Washington State.

My wife and I are on this Mardi Gras Transatlantic and were on the Horizon Transatlantic. Is there an inaugural cruise on the Mardi Gras before this TA? We weren't on the inaugural cruise right before the TA on the Horizon. My wife and I are 60-somethings also from Washington State. What part of Washington are you from? We are from Vancouver, just ten minutes from Downtown Portland, Oregon.

1 hour ago, puschi1906 said:

you should watch the financial situation of Norwegian in the next months as they struggle with problems right now. 

We have used them quite often, but never for long distance. They have good prices for one way flights from New York back to Germany, I hope they still offer it next year in September 😃

Interesting. I hope they do survive. I know they have undergone massive expansion of their routes and fleet over the last few years. I'm still getting announcements from them time to time as they continue to add new routes.

1 hour ago, CruiseRookiesCom said:

My wife and I are on this Mardi Gras Transatlantic and were on the Horizon Transatlantic. Is there an inaugural cruise on the Mardi Gras before this TA? We weren't on the inaugural cruise right before the TA on the Horizon. My wife and I are 60-somethings also from Washington State. What part of Washington are you from? We are from Vancouver, just ten minutes from Downtown Portland, Oregon.

Oh, cool!  The Inaugural for the Horizon was three or four cruises before the TA.  For the Mardi Gras it is just before the TA, that is why we chose to do the B2B.  There are quite a few people doing the B2B.

We live in the Tri-Cities (Pasco) in eastern Washington.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:14 PM, Yronica said:

I think there will definitely be some familiar faces here from the Horizon TA. I booked a Havana cabin without even seeing the deck plan. I only had verbal descriptions from the Carnival agent who called me. The spa on deck 4 thing seemed odd, so I booked Havana instead, based on two Horizon sailings where I didn't try the Havana area. Now I see that there are Spa Cabins on 17 though, and serenity has a pool this time. I know if I want a spa interior I'd better act fast. Oh, what to do!

The Havana area on the Vista was very nice and well worth the extra money, but I thought the Havana pool tucked away seemed odd which is why I went with a Spa FWD view balcony on deck 17. I didn't realize just how far from the spa we would be, but we are close to the Serenity so I guess all good.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, cruzlover1978 said:

Hello everyone! My husband and I are booked in one of the new spa extended forward facing balconies. We are so excited for our first TA and cannot wait to start the pre and post cruise planning! 

Are you on Deck 17? If so, we will be neighbors. I know its more than a year away, but I am looking forward to it. I even love the thought of all the sea days. Sleep, blessed sleep, and with 8 full sea days plenty of time to try out all of the areas and FOOD

On 1/30/2019 at 7:40 PM, azmay1 said:

Just booked this cruise. Who will be joining this group.

Carol

Hey Carol and all TA cruisers.  We love TA cruising and glad we booked this one.  I'm sure we will see a lot of familiar faces.  We have our good Canadian friends Gus and Caroline coming along with us.  I am looking forward to all the fun things that are planned.  

To all the first time TA's, you will love these cruises, there is so much to do.  Sign up for things you want to do and if you change your mind please let people know.  We love so many things and we do some things and not others.  No pressure.  Can't wait to chat with everyone.

My husband and I booked this cruise and will be traveling with our daughter (she will be 15 then).  We are really looking forward to it, it will be our first TA.

18 hours ago, BRWsmom38 said:

My husband and I booked this cruise and will be traveling with our daughter (she will be 15 then).  We are really looking forward to it, it will be our first TA.

Welcome to Roll Call.

Carol

37 minutes ago, HeavyMetalDeacon said:

The wife and I will be there !!!  Our 1st T/A

She was on the original Mardi Gras  !!

Welcolme to Roll Call.

Carol

This will be my husband’s and my first transatlantic, something we wanted to do when he retired.  We went on the Horizon while it was in the Med and loved it.  We so look forward to this and to meeting y’all. 

Good afternoon everyone! I just got off the phone with my PVP to book this Transatlantic cruise. We’re Jennifer & Jay from Fort Lauderdale, FL. This will be our first TA and first time visiting these ports. Excited to learn from all you experienced TAers!

18 hours ago, kbklcamp said:

This will be my husband’s and my first transatlantic, something we wanted to do when he retired.  We went on the Horizon while it was in the Med and loved it.  We so look forward to this and to meeting y’all. 

5 minutes ago, CruisinChandler said:

Good afternoon everyone! I just got off the phone with my PVP to book this Transatlantic cruise. We’re Jennifer & Jay from Fort Lauderdale, FL. This will be our first TA and first time visiting these ports. Excited to learn from all you experienced TAers!

Welcome to Roll Call.

Carol

On Royal Caribbean, there are outstanding deals on one-way First, Business, & Premium Economy fares to Europe. I'm talking about Business Class fares from $1,250 (Miami one-way) to most of Europe.  Does Carnival's Air Program, offer anything like this?

I am a Royal Diamond, thinking of booking this ship, from Europe through to Orlando.  I have done 6 Transatlantics; but 36 days at sea, would be double the days, that I am used to.  Does Carnival have a Specialty Dining Plan and other like packages?  Is the drink package worth the money, as well?

On 2/6/2019 at 3:37 PM, CruiseRookiesCom said:

10 hours is a bit tight for touring London as Heathrow is about an hour by either tube or train to the heart of London. If you have to go out and back in through Border Enforcement and Airport Security, that will easily whittle down your 10 hours to 8 hours or less. Heathrow itself is a huge airport. On our last flight once we got through airport security there was a sign that said "30 minutes from here to your terminal" referring to how long it would take the average person walking and using moving stairways to get to their terminal. I doubt once you get to Downtown London you'll have more than 5 hours there. Taking the Hop On Hop Off Bus might get you a quick overview of a lot of London, but you have to go into London to get on the Hop On Hop Off bus. If you just want something quick that will give you a bird's eye view of London you might try starting with either the London Eye or The Shard. Both are pretty close to Tube stations.

Thanks.. We actually changed flight and have 11 1/2 hour layover now.  We booked Heathrow express which says 15 minutes to paddington station.  We will either cab it from there or another train.  We also bought the London pass which includes the HoHo bus.  We just want to see Westminster Abbey , Buckingham Palace, The Tower and bridge briefly.  The HoHo bus might be fine to see things. I am figuring on 6 hours in London which is fine by me so that gives us 5 1/2 for to and from including border enforcement /security.  We will adjust based on when we land how quickly we get to heathrow express and out.  We do have first class plane tickets so from what I am reading is that we can use fast track at airport for security so hopefully thats true.  I will ask while we are there and before we head out.

Rick and Teresa Leakey from Dallas TX area B2B but on the other end...........TA is first part of cruise and then staying on the ship for Canada to see the fall foliage.  looking forward to meeting everyone.  I am going to the organizer of the Meet and Greet on the Serenity Deck I believe is Sept. 12 from 2-4.  Planning on having light up shot glasses filled with mimosas to hand out.  Let me know if you are interested?

On 1/31/2019 at 9:32 PM, Rosethorn40 said:

Laura and Marty here from Wild, Wonderful West Virginia. We booked last night and got the last Spa Forward Vista Balcony (Not exactly sure what they are called). This will be our first Transatlantic. Looking forward to the ship. We sailed on one of the first Caribbean cruises for the Vista, and stayed in the Havana Cabana area, which we loved, but it appears much different on this ship, and the pool is itty bitty and tucked away. Glad I went with a Spa cabin this time, but was just looking at the deck plans and it appears the spa is on Deck 6?, but the cabins are on 17?? Seems a bit odd. This will also be our first time on a super big ship, not that the Vista is small, but it seems that this ship will be closer in size to the NCL and RCCL mega ships. 

The spa is on deck 6?  that is weird having the spa cabins so far away.  We also have a spa balcony, now concerned.  Had the Havana Patio on Vista but thought we would get more use out of the spa this cruise than the Havana area.

Hello Everyone, we are Ron and Mary, from Cheyenne, Wyoming! We are booked on the inaugural and transatlantic. Our first TA was on the Vista in 2016, and we have done TA for the past 2 years on Princess. Several new ports for us, which we are looking forward to.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:30 PM, Bimmie Girl said:

The spa is on deck 6?  that is weird having the spa cabins so far away.  We also have a spa balcony, now concerned.  Had the Havana Patio on Vista but thought we would get more use out of the spa this cruise than the Havana area.

I don't know if true, but on another social media site I read that there will be an elevator on Deck 17 in the area of the spa cabins that will go directly to the spa on deck 6 or 7. It only goes between the spa and 17 (Or maybe it will include the Serenity area as well?)

On 2/22/2019 at 8:13 PM, Rosethorn40 said:

I don't know if true, but on another social media site I read that there will be an elevator on Deck 17 in the area of the spa cabins that will go directly to the spa on deck 6 or 7. It only goes between the spa and 17 (Or maybe it will include the Serenity area as well?)

I saw the elevator and I think they have the same set up on Carnival Vista, meaning certain elevators went only to serenity and spa but it took forever to get them, we ended up taking the stairs...………...which on this ship will be a lot of stairs, LOL.

Hi everyone! We have just booked this cruise, cruised before but never with Carnival. We can’t wait!

Sue and Mark