Seapass card on Door knob - security issue?

billsr

I was reading something that mentioned that RCCL no longer issues you a seapass card at check-in counter.   They supposedly now hang your seapass cards on the cabin doors.    You retrieve your seapass card when the cabin area is opened at 1pm.   My concern is how are they protecting my seapass card from being stolen and used to make purchases before I have had a chance to retrieve it.  This seems like a major security lapse - it'd be like a credit card company hanging my replacement credit card my house door until I get back from work.   I am hoping there is some kind of security control or activation step that ensures the card can only be used/activated by the intended person.

Bill

It is in a secure envelope that zips off to open.  You would know if the envelope had been tampered with.  And if it's simply not there, you go to Guest Services and they make you an entire new card, deactivating the original.

But security breaches just don't happen.  This is a "closed society".  Anyone using your card is on the ship and would be easily caught.

The envelope will be inserted on the cabin number on the wall next to your cabin door.  One SeaPass card will be in the secure envelope, and any others will be inside the cabin.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It is in a secure envelope that zips off to open.  You would know if the envelope had been tampered with.  And if it's simply not there, you go to Guest Services and they make you an entire new card, deactivating the original.

But security breaches just don't happen.  This is a "closed society".  Anyone using your card is on the ship and would be easily caught.

The envelope will be inserted on the cabin number on the wall next to your cabin door.  One SeaPass card will be in the secure envelope, and any others will be inside the cabin.

On Allure our envelopes were not sealed.  2 cabins different decks.

55 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Not always sealed

47 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

On Allure our envelopes were not sealed.  2 cabins different decks.

Not sealed on Harmony in September or Adventure last week.  Here is the Adventure envelope.  

20190126_113128.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just another advance in onboard technology that was absolutely unnecessary ... the old way was fine with me .... just getting your SeaPass cards in the terminal at checkin ... why was this change necessary ?

Another waste of paper.....give me the notepad and pen back...RCI.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

Just another advance in onboard technology that was absolutely unnecessary ... the old way was fine with me .... just getting your SeaPass cards in the terminal at checkin ... why was this change necessary ?

It saves them money and I can tell you first hand that I’ve never had a quicker check in experience than I did on the Allure at the new terminal in Miami.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Another waste of paper.....give me the notepad and pen back...RCI.

We did this on Quantum the first year it was out.  We walked into the port, were met by a worker with an iPad, they typed in our info, and we were on our way.  Never even got in line.  It's much easier. 

As for security fears, first, everyone on the ship has their own SeaPass, so why steal one?  For a free drink?  That'll get you kicked off the ship for sure.  Your picture is associated with it, it can't be copied, and there's nothing in the rooms so luggage can't be stolen.  So no real issue that I can think of. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They’ve been doing this on Quantum class for years without issue.

when your card is scanned your photo appears on their monitors as a safeguard.

And nothing new, was way Royal did it 1980s into 90's on all the ships. Card/Door key was in the room with Door propped open...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Carnival has been doing this for several years now, with many raising concerns here on CC about security...and virtually no reported problems.

Does Royal place the SeaPass cards by the staterooms right after embark starts, or do they wait until staterooms are ready?  

Also, is this in place yet on the Indy?  

WOW... more paranoia over nothing.

You get to your cabin and your card is in the envelope at the door. Who cares if the envelope is sealed or not? I don't even see why they need to put it in an envelope in the first place... if I was going to use someone else's card to get a free drink, what would stop me from then taking it back the the cabin door, putting it in the unsealed envelope and sealing it up?

Anyway, after you pick up your card, you then go inside your cabin. You can turn on the TV and check your onboard account to see if there are any charges you don't know about. If there are, you go to Guest Services and sort it out. 

You do this before the ship sails so that security can check to see who has used your card and (as noted by an earlier poster) kick them off the ship straight away.

People worry about this, but just accept that your luggage will be left unattended in a corridor...

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Balsam12 said:

WOW... more paranoia over nothing.

You get to your cabin and your card is in the envelope at the door. Who cares if the envelope is sealed or not? I don't even see why they need to put it in an envelope in the first place... if I was going to use someone else's card to get a free drink, what would stop me from then taking it back the the cabin door, putting it in the unsealed envelope and sealing it up?

Anyway, after you pick up your card, you then go inside your cabin. You can turn on the TV and check your onboard account to see if there are any charges you don't know about. If there are, you go to Guest Services and sort it out. 

You do this before the ship sails so that security can check to see who has used your card and (as noted by an earlier poster) kick them off the ship straight away.

People worry about this, but just accept that your luggage will be left unattended in a corridor...

Excellent point!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Just wondering. If say you board at 11, how do you order drinks from a bar or café on your pre-purchased drinks package before you have your sea pass card? 

They scan the barcode on your SetSail pass.

• Like 2

I simply used the boarding pass once I got on the Allure last fall.  Not a big deal at all.  Actually, after the 1st one the bartender took my number and didn't ask for it again.  Maybe because he saw I had the package and more of a hassle to get my number each time for later input when it really didn't matter.

9 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Carnival has been doing this for several years now, with many raising concerns here on CC about security...and virtually no reported problems.

I was going to say this. This is an efficiency and does make things go much smoother (and it has the added benefit of keeping people out of the cabins until they are ready).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I simply used the boarding pass once I got on the Allure last fall.  Not a big deal at all.  Actually, after the 1st one the bartender took my number and didn't ask for it again.  Maybe because he saw I had the package and more of a hassle to get my number each time for later input when it really didn't matter.

It's always amazed me on all of the cruises that I've been on that the servers can remember the folio numbers of so many people (I did get a peek at one server's notepad and he did have all of the folio numbers written down but he still needed to associate the right folio number with the right passenger).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billsr said:

I was reading something that mentioned that RCCL no longer issues you a seapass card at check-in counter.   They supposedly now hang your seapass cards on the cabin doors.    You retrieve your seapass card when the cabin area is opened at 1pm.   My concern is how are they protecting my seapass card from being stolen and used to make purchases before I have had a chance to retrieve it.  This seems like a major security lapse - it'd be like a credit card company hanging my replacement credit card my house door until I get back from work.   I am hoping there is some kind of security control or activation step that ensures the card can only be used/activated by the intended person.

Bill

1. If you arrive at your room, and your envelope is missing than you report it.

2. Use your app on your phone, to monitor your expenses just like if your credit card was stolen.

3. Credit Card companies mail you your replacement cards dozens of people touch the mail piece, and it is left in your mailbox.  Your credit card is not secure!

4. Your card has your picture.  It would be a very stupid person to steal your card, and use it on a ship, with a thousand cameras and with the ship having the ability to actually pinpoint where your card is by the tracking chip in it and the facial recognition programs they have. 

• Like 1