Best hotel in Rome for pre cruise

catatnight

Hello! We are going on a cruise from Rome to Miami. We are going to Rome 3 days early. What is a good hotel that is in the center of Rome to stay in. Also what is the best way to get to the cruise terminal from that point. 

Thanks 🙂

A little reading on the board will answer all your questions.  But first, a question for you...what does "best" mean to you? "Best" means different things to people. For example,  we stay at the Cavalleri, a 5 star hotel, certainly one of the "best" in Rome, and will take a private car to the port (and from the airport). 

There are many threads here on hotels. There are many threads on transportation options. But there are things we don't know. Your budget. Your mobility.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, catatnight said:

Hello! We are going on a cruise from Rome to Miami. We are going to Rome 3 days early. What is a good hotel that is in the center of Rome to stay in. Also what is the best way to get to the cruise terminal from that point. 

Thanks 🙂

I would recommend staying in the historical center of Rome. Lots of options from which to choose but frequently recommended are 9 Hotel Cesare (https://www.9-hotel-cesari-rome.it/en/), Albergo Santa Chiara - close to the Pantheon (https://www.albergosantachiara.com/en/), & a favorite of mine, K Boutique Hotel (not as centrally located as the previous two but right off Via Cavour with easy access to metro with about an 8 minute walk to the colosseum or a 1 minute trip via metro - https://www.thekhotel.it/ ).

Options for port: shared transfer (check your roll call), private transfer or train. We can easily manage our luggage so we take the train.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think anyone is trying to be rude. It really is kind of difficult to recommend hotels in Rome without some idea of your price range, as hotels can be $100/night or $600/night easily. 

I like to be in the center, like the above poster, but hotels are pricier there and some people prefer a quieter area, even if it is further away from the main sights. If you are looking for a budget option, it may be tough.

Another option to add to the ones provided already is Hotel Smeraldo (near Campo dei Fiori, another very central location).

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

I do not think the reponse is rude either--Trip Advisor lists 1280 hotels in Rome. Budget and location are important issues,

We usually prefer the area near the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.

As mentioned a car or van transfer --shared or private--is very easy.There are websites where you can arrange this--or your hotel conceirge can do this. The train make several stops in Rome --so it depends on the area you are staying in--A brief taxi ride is required from train station to port.The train schedules are available online.

Some cruise lines will arrange transfers from Rome to the cruise ship for a price.They usually have a specific hotel pick up point. In my experience these transfer are usually by bus.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, catatnight said:

I asked what was the best way to get to the port not hotel option. Also your response is a little rude in the way it is wrote. I was asking a simple question and you are treating me like I am stupid. 

I also don't think the response was rude.

First, your Subject Header most certainly did specify 'BEST hotel', so the reply was in direct reference to that.

And then in the question, you specified 'good' hotel, which is also very subjective:  location, price, luxe quality (or not), services available, etc.

People here on CruiseCritic tend to be extremely helpful, and that can include asking additional questions to try  better to provide information that would be relevant to the specific person asking.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I needed up finding a good hotel from searching on my own. We are staying at Trevi Beau Boutique Hotel. It is very close to the Trevi Fountain and the hotel includes several things and has really good reviews. Thanks everyone for your help. 

Edited by catatnight

On 1/30/2019 at 10:04 PM, catatnight said:

Thanks 🙂

We are going to be in Rome June 29 thru July 2 and then will cruise in HAL's Veendam. I booked A&F Colloseo thru Booking.com for 3 nights for € 244.20. It is located in the center of Rome.

Check https://www.aefcolosseo.com/

Edited by ApolloBeachRetiree

3 hours ago, ApolloBeachRetiree said:

We are going to be in Rome June 29 thru July 2 and then will cruise in HAL's Veendam. I booked A&F Colloseo thru Booking.com for 3 nights for € 244.20. It is located in the center of Rome.

Check https://www.aefcolosseo.com/

Your hotel is in the Esquilino area (toward Termini, the main train station), which is somewhat central but not really the "heart" of the historic area.  Not my description, but one tourist site says of it:  "It lacks the variety and Roman authentic feel of other the Rome central areas. Some parts can be a little seedy, especially the section nearest Termini Station."  Just FYI!

It is well located for the 'ancient Rome' sights such as the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, Trajan's market, Baths of Caracalla, etc.  It is a little further from the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and Trevi Fountain than some other hotels recommended above. And of course the Vatican is the outlier -- it's quite a distance, but you could easily take the metro there, if desired.

One sight near you that is a "hidden gem" is the Basilica di Santa Prassede, a gorgeous and very old church with wonderful mosaics. I highly recommend that you take a few minutes to stop in and see it.  See description and photos here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Prassede

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

a "hidden gem" is the Basilica di Santa Prassede, a gorgeous and very old church with wonderful mosaics. I highly recommend that you take a few minutes to stop in and see it.  See description and photos here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Prassede

Hmmm ... thanks for this. I enjoy reading your recommendations as you always seem to find something interesting of which I was totally unaware. Going back again this year for 3 glorious weeks (flight was simply too good to pass-up at $600) & will definitely check-out the church (there are so many). I love Italy! 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Hmmm ... thanks for this. I enjoy reading your recommendations as you always seem to find something interesting of which I was totally unaware. Going back again this year for 3 glorious weeks (flight was simply too good to pass-up at $600) & will definitely check-out the church (there are so many). I love Italy! 

Three weeks sounds glorious indeed!  If you need any additional ideas, feel free to ask. 

On 2/3/2019 at 2:02 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Three weeks sounds glorious indeed!  If you need any additional ideas, feel free to ask. 

Thanks in advance. I will be traveling solo this time & staying at an Airbnb (first time) - what I am looking for is a little unorthodox from what most visitors to Rome wish to see. I am looking for Roman ruins - not the usual or even secondary sites as I've seen most of them (some multiple times). I do intend on returning to Paestum during my stay & will probably visit Pompeii again.

In Rome, my superhost sounds like she might be a wealth of info (sure hope so).

But ... wondering if you have visited any of the sites below:

San Nicola in Carcere - underground

Basilica Santi Giovanni e Paolo - frescoed houses underground

Vicus Caprariu - underground

any underground sites/tours you might recommend?

Sites need not be limited to Rome - as long as I can get there via train/bus, I am up to the challenge. I will have 3 weeks to explore and plan on booking only those sites that require advance ticketing - for once, I want to be totally selfish and see/do what strikes my fancy on any given day.

Apologies for the hijack.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Thanks in advance. I will be traveling solo this time & staying at an Airbnb (first time) - what I am looking for is a little unorthodox from what most visitors to Rome wish to see. I am looking for Roman ruins - not the usual or even secondary sites as I've seen most of them (some multiple times). I do intend on returning to Paestum during my stay & will probably visit Pompeii again.

In Rome, my superhost sounds like she might be a wealth of info (sure hope so).

But ... wondering if you have visited any of the sites below:

San Nicola in Carcere - underground

Basilica Santi Giovanni e Paolo - frescoed houses underground

Vicus Caprariu - underground

any underground sites/tours you might recommend?

Sites need not be limited to Rome - as long as I can get there via train/bus, I am up to the challenge. I will have 3 weeks to explore and plan on booking only those sites that require advance ticketing - for once, I want to be totally selfish and see/do what strikes my fancy on any given day.

Apologies for the hijack.

You are barking up the right tree. My thoughts on the places you named above:

San Nicola in Carcere -- I visited it together with the mithraeum under the Circus Maximus with Context Rome tours. (https://www.contexttravel.com/cities/rome/tours/buried-under-rome) I had tried on earlier trips to visit both of these given the various websites for permissions and/or looking for the right person at San Nicola, but in the end I had no success -- I had to cave and do it via a tour.  The two sites are well worth it. Our guide also took us up onto the roof of San Nicola which was fabulous. The mithraeum I would highly recommend as well.

SS Giovanni e Paolo -- Quite easy and satisfying to do on your own and I definitely recommend it. Preserved frescoes are not very common in Rome.  While you're in the vicinity, I would also suggest stopping in to look at the nearby Basilica di Santo Stefano Rotondo:   http://romanchurches.wikia.com/wiki/Santo_Stefano_Rotondo_al_Celio

Vicus Caprarius -- Also very easy to do on your own, has some explanatory information onsite. Interesting but not as much as the first two.

In the last few years, access to many sites has gotten much more reliable. Other ancient "off the beaten path" sites in Rome that I'd recommend:

Domus Aurea -- Absolute must see if you haven't -- tickets through Coopculture site; English tours.

House of Augustus/House of Livia on Palatine Hill -- You can do both simultaneously; reserve through Coopculture, either for a guide or just a visit (they unlock the doors and give you a certain amount of time inside).

Piramide Cestia/Tempio Rotondo/Temple of Portunus -- I have booked all of these as one-offs through Coopculture. The guides generally only speak Italian but if you bring your own guidebook and go along with the group, it is worth it to get in. (I particularly liked the Piramide, where the interior has been recently restored; it can be combined with a visit to the American cemetery next door where Keats and Shelley are buried...as well as the Roman gate there.)  I think the Temple of Portunus may be closed at the moment, under renovation.

Vatican -- Scavi Tour and the Necropolis of the Via Triumphalis (opened just a few years ago); tickets through the Vatican official site.

Via Appia Antica -- Tomb of Cecilia Metella; Villa dei Quintili.  All worth a visit in this area. Last time I was in Rome (late April) I was also able to arrange a special tour (directly though the office at the catacombs) of the Roman remains at the catacombs of San Sebastiano -- there are several pristine tombs and also other areas with frescoes and mosaic flooring that are off limits to tourists usually. I was thrilled to find that the guide was the archaeologist who excavated it and had published the initial articles...!

Villa of Livia at Prima Porta -- This is an easy day trip to do on your own using a regional train from Rome. The villa is where the beautiful garden frescoes in the National Museum near Termini were recovered, also where the gorgeous statue of Augustus in the Vatican was found. I can send you detailed DIY info if you're interested. Check opening times on Coopculture site; it is only open some Sundays.

Mausoleum of Santa Costanza and Sant'Agnese Fuori le Mura -- Read about these sites in a hidden corner of Rome here; the mausoleum is fabulous; bring coins to turn on the lights:   https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-guide/centro-storico/things-to-do/mausoleum-of-santa-costanza-and-santagnese-fuori-le-mura

These are all in what I'd consider to be located in Rome and environs. Obviously I could go on and on. I highly recommend the Oxford Guide to Rome as your source of info on the sites visited. (Kindle version available.)  I assume you've probably already visited The Museum of the Imperial Fori and Trajan's Market; Baths of Caracalla; San Clemente; the Ara Pacis***; and the Capitoline and National Museums...

If you want more on other nearby sites, I can continue.

*** My favorite ancient building in Rome after the Pantheon

Edited to add: Should you be considering any of the evening 'sound and light' shows, I would avoid the one on Augustus but enjoyed the one that takes in the Forum of Julius Caesar, as you actually get to walk through it, where otherwise access is not allowed.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Edited to add: Should you be considering any of the evening 'sound and light' shows, I would avoid the one on Augustus but enjoyed the one that takes in the Forum of Julius Caesar, as you actually get to walk through it, where otherwise access is not allowed.

Thank you. I plan on booking both of the evening forum shows with the full realization that they may be somewhat corny (but, hey, I am a tourist after all). Curious as to why you would skip the forum of Augustus.

Have already visited sites you mentioned with the exceptions of Piramide Cestia/Tempio Rotondo/Temple of Portunus, Mausoleum of Santa Costanza and Sant'Agnese Fuori le Mura & Villa of Livia at Prima Porta - thanks for these & off to do some further research. 

Btw: my last visit to the Domus Aurea was supplemented by virtual reality. Regarding your favorite ancient bldg after Pantheon - I assume that you have seen the Pergamon/Zeus altar?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Thank you. I plan on booking both of the evening forum shows with the full realization that they may be somewhat corny (but, hey, I am a tourist after all). Curious as to why you would skip the forum of Augustus.

Have already visited sites you mentioned with the exceptions of Piramide Cestia/Tempio Rotondo/Temple of Portunus, Mausoleum of Santa Costanza and Sant'Agnese Fuori le Mura & Villa of Livia at Prima Porta - thanks for these & off to do some further research. 

Btw: my last visit to the Domus Aurea was supplemented by virtual reality. Regarding your favorite ancient bldg after Pantheon - I assume that you have seen the Pergamon/Zeus altar?

The Forum of Augustus show is interesting but you remain seated on bleachers for the entire thing, and (for me) it didn't add too much to simply see the forum buildings re-created from a vantage point that's pretty accessible at any time. However, it's very well done for what it is.

I should have been more specific in saying the Ara Pacis was my second favorite in Rome:classic_wink: I haven't yet seen the Pergamon altar (though I've been to Pergamon). Just about the time I was ready to plan a trip to Berlin, they closed the museum for extensive renovations....

• Thanks 1

I love the direction this thread took from deftly and kindly trying to assist with Rome lodgings to an enthralling exchange referencing the Oxford Guide to Rome, Pergamon, Ara Pacis,  Piramide Cestia and various other treasures of Ancient Rome. 

A little bit of a meander onto the path less traveled, always a delight whenever possible. Something to think about for return visits to Rome, especially anyone who found The Forum particularly intriguing (not that all of Rome isn’t!) consider these types of visits on future pre-post Cruise trips....history/culture/art/religion  etc lovers, it’s all there for you. 

Thanks for a wonderful dialogue 🚢🍷😎

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

I love the direction this thread took from deftly and kindly trying to assist with Rome lodgings to an enthralling exchange referencing the Oxford Guide to Rome, Pergamon, Ara Pacis,  Piramide Cestia and various other treasures of Ancient Rome. 

A little bit of a meander onto the path less traveled, always a delight whenever possible. Something to think about for return visits to Rome, especially anyone who found The Forum particularly intriguing (not that all of Rome isn’t!) consider these types of visits on future pre-post Cruise trips....history/culture/art/religion  etc lovers, it’s all there for you. 

Sorry about the detour, Host Bonjour.  :classic_wacko:  My enthusiasm for ancient Rome tends to run away with me at times...

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Yes, apologies for the hijack.  I, too, get a tad carried away when it comes to ancient Roman/Etruscan/Greek civilizations. In any event, I believe that the OP has already booked a hotel and the original issue is no longer relevant. 

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Villa of Livia at Prima Porta -- This is an easy day trip to do on your own using a regional train from Rome. The villa is where the beautiful garden frescoes in the National Museum near Termini were recovered, also where the gorgeous statue of Augustus in the Vatican was found. I can send you detailed DIY info if you're interested. Check opening times on Coopculture site; it is only open some Sundays.

I would very much appreciate detailed DIY info - won't have to reinvent the wheel. :classic_happy:

Email address in signature - thanks so much!

• Thanks 1

No, no, no not a hijack at all. The OP problem was resolved and this conversation just took its natural course. Just this moment it got me thinking of when I first had a spritz on a terrace off on a little viccolo in Verona  (regretted not ordering a white from the area) and the sun was warm, everyone around me spoke Italian and I was probably figuring what part of Verona to go and stay for a month (chose Borgo Venezia) and there was this unbelievably spectacular ancient arena that for now, was still only a short walk from my b&b. 

This was wonderful, mille grazie 🍷😊

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bennybear said:

This is why I cannot understand people who have seen a place once and have done it, 😄

Totally with you! It is particularly incomprehensible when one visits via cruise ship allowing only a short day in the city & states that they have 'been there, done that'. I just chalk it up to 'different folks, different strokes'. Guess some people are content to snap a few photos of/selfies with/ the colosseum, pantheon, etc. 

• Like 1