Yacht Club Drink Package Explanation from MSC (after the recent package changes)

kevinrobedm

Well I think we beg to disagree and that is ok.

When you purchase a product that is advertised a certain way you expect to get what you purchased.   Especially when "AFTER" the new drink packages come in play and MSC re-iterates that you will get what was in place when you booked. I am just sharing what I was sold and told.  That's all.

A lot of people on Cruise Critic have indicated the same thing.

If you don't believe that is the case then lets just agree to disagree.  

I created this forum to just share information, that's all.

I think there is so much dis-information out there that it is nice to have a place where we can all share what we were told with the greater good of everyone being on the same page so there are no surprises when you get on board.

A vacation should be a stree free time once you board the ship, that is why we always try to get things sorted out BEFORE we get on so we don't spend our cruise arguing with on board staff about what was or was not included.  We have  found more often than not, if you don't have some email or some real document to show someone when you are on board it is very difficult to get them to change anything.

My 2 cents anyway.

• Like 1

No idea why you think I'm disagreeing with you.  I was trying to explain that MSC removes drinks from their included lists all the time, regardless of what was included when you booked.

The change in the drinks packages is a totally different issue which is why they are honouring the old drinks packages.

If you think that what MSC has told you clarifies the matter, the best of luck to you!  As someone who's done 21 cruises in 7 years with MSC, I'm well aware of what they say and what they do - the 2 don't aren't always the same thing! 

One thing is becoming clear ...no matter how big your MSC blinkers are & I adore the brand...

"Someone" has got the message that the value was too good & way above certain other lines, so the adjustment pain is in full swing!

However I still feel with planning, with luck & factoring in that everyone's needs are different, there is still value & good times to be had with this line.

One thing I'm well known for on this forum, Frank, is the fact that I don't possess MSC blinkers; despite being a regular MSC "guest", I'm no MSC cheerleader.

MSC was a great value product.   With the huge leap in prices, that is not the case anymore.  The improvements onboard aren't enough to justify the higher prices.  The cruise side of the MSC company is growing too fast and they're losing the run of themselves!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

SC ... I posted elsewhere about my experience re Champagne on Armonia.  I had no problems with ordering NF other than it wasn't available in one of the bars and they substituted it with Cordon Rouge.

I saw that, thank you. I wanted to thank you then but I couldn't since you told me not to!

I soon know for sure, 9 days until boarding!

30 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

One thing I'm well known for on this forum, Frank, is the fact that I don't possess MSC blinkers; despite being a regular MSC "guest", I'm no MSC cheerleader.

MSC was a great value product.   With the huge leap in prices, that is not the case anymore.  The improvements onboard aren't enough to justify the higher prices.  The cruise side of the MSC company is growing too fast and they're losing the run of themselves!

Oh I know that and you're vastly more experienced with MSC than I am.

But I love so much about them, it's tough that they're 'turning' lol

As Captain John said it was all about the price and almost forget about the shortfalls.

They have big plans so let's hope these are supported by resources and key ....understanding your customer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I saw that, thank you. I wanted to thank you then but I couldn't since you told me not to!

I soon know for sure, 9 days until boarding!

Bon Voyage, SC ... hope you have a fantastic time.  We did on our replacement cruise on Armonia (for the Divina one that you and I cancelled!)

Bytheway, you can click on the 'heart' symbol on posts, now, where you can either 'Like', 'Thank' or 'HaHa' respond to the post.  I was just afraid people would start asking me questions about the cruise on that thread, which would have derailed it.  I intend to write up a few notes on a thread of my own, where people can ask away on the subject.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

... I love so much about them, it's tough that they're 'turning' lol

As Captain John said it was all about the price and almost forget about the shortfalls.

I was always prepared to ignore the shortfalls, too, due to the great prices.  However, they'll be harder to ignore if I have to pay the inflated prices!

Our upcoming on Seaview (in August) is €560 (total) more than what we booked it for last March and I thought it was pricey, then!

Our 23 nights on Meraviglia would cost us a whopping €7267.04 MORE if it weren't for the discounts we were able to apply on that one!  😱

Having said all that, due to us knowing the Director of Hotel Services on Armonia last week from another cruise (and a certain poster on here ... which I may elaborate on further in my Armonia report) we were extremely well looked after and got some lovely treats to the cabin throughout the cruise.

We were on the Seaview in November/December 2018. 

It is a beautiful ship.

The YC is large an quite impressive.

They were still working out some the kinks in the YC Restaurant but we would go back on her in an instant.

2 minutes ago, kevinrobedm said:

It is a beautiful ship.

They were still working out some the kinks in the YC Restaurant but we would go back on her in an instant.

We're really looking forward to it.  We've been on every other class in the fleet and wanted so much to try this one.  We're actually joining another poster from this forum on this one who we met on Meraviglia's first Med itinerary.  We loved the fact that the restaurant is sited inside the YC enclave, the same goes for Seaview, so, Happy Days!  🙂

on the gelato issue:

When we were on the Seaview my husband loved this "coconut ice cream' as he called it by the jungle pool area. Does anyone know if that was gelato and is it included in your cruise fare or is it for a fee.? We were grandfathered in to the old package and what you got with that one being in the YC so I have no idea now what that was as we paid zero extra for it or anything else.

The only thing I will miss is my caramel latte and hubby will miss the milkshake. :classic_sad:

37 minutes ago, Simon1902 said:

Bea, we board in Genoa on the 26th. We are on the Divina in and out of Genoa from the 17th to 24th and then join Seaview on 26th.

Maybe we'll get to meet up and have a drink, so!  🙂 🍸

Debde ... It would have been gelato.  Unless you have one of the old packages, it's now no longer included (except on Armonia, where gelato is free but flavour choices are limited, though they change daily).

1 hour ago, kevinrobedm said:

It is a beautiful ship.

Sticking like glue and banging my drum that the seaside class are the sexiest vessels at sea.

They are simply stunning ...now its February I can say 'next month' and that feels magic lol

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Debde ... It would have been gelato.  Unless you have one of the old packages, it's now no longer included (except on Armonia, where gelato is free but flavour choices are limited, though they change daily).

Thank you-I never went with him when he got it and because it was not at Venchi so I had no idea what he was talking about. I thought because it was in a kid area-it might be included. Oh well!

2 minutes ago, Simon1902 said:

Bea, what experience are you in on the Seaview?

We're in YC.

Debde ... it's the same on Meraviglia - gelato is available in the Atmosphere pool bar on deck 15 aft and the Polar bar on deck 19 aft and included with the old drinks packages, but not in the Jean-Phillipe franchise venue.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:01 AM, kevinrobedm said:

I asked MSC to clarify what the drink package is for Yacht Club passengers with all the changes to the packages after the last few months.  I got an official response and thought I would share with everyone as the more information we all have, the better.  We are in a YC suite on the Splendida in March and wanted to be clear on what we could expect.

Some of the wording I am not 100% sure of and have asked for some clarifications.  I will post them when I get it but at least this is a start and is from MSC directly since there has been a lot of third party discussions.

Thanks.

From MSC:

Yacht Club Bars

COMPLIMENTARY:

Full selection of spirits, liquers and cordials including Premium brands 

Full cocktail selection including Premium cocktails

Wide Range of wines; 1 sparkling, 1 white, 1 rosé and 1 red Wide range of wines (1 champagne, at least 7 whites, 1 rosé, at least 7 reds) Draft beer + full selection of bottled beers Draft beer + full selection of bottled beers Full selection of fruit juice and soft drink including Premium brands Full selection of fruit juice and soft drink including Premium brands Premium mineral water in glass bottles Premium mineral water in glass bottles Full selection of hot drinks Full selection of hot drinks

ON PAYMENT: Champagne and superior wine selection Champagne and superior wine selection Super premium spirits Super premium spirits Cigars

Yacht Club Restaurant

COMPLIMENTARY: REMAINS UNCHANGED Complimentary wines in daily rotation Premium mineral water Bottled beers Soft drink Selection of after-dinner drinks All other drinks from YC Complimentary Bar List on request ON PAYMENT: Champagne and superior wine selection Super premium spirits COMPLIMENTARY: Same selection as regular cabins except the water, which is Premium brand Pillow chocolates Welcome bottle of sparkling wine Free pizza delivery Free room service menu ON PAYMENT: Romantic moments selection COMPLIMENTARY: Full selection of spirits,  ligueurs and cordials, including Premium brands Full cocktail selection, including Premium cocktails Wide range of wines (1 champagne, at least 7 whites, 1 rosé, at least 7 reds) Draft beer + full selection of bottled beers Full selection of fruit juice and soft drink including Premium brands Mineral water Full selection of hot drinks REMAINS UNCHNAGED REMAINS UNCHANGED YACHT CLUB BARS BEFORE NOW OUT OF YACHT CLUB AREA ALL DRINKS ARE ON PAYMENT MINI BARS / CABINS YACHT CLUB RESTAURANT

PACKAGE RECOGNITION / SERVICE MODALITIES WITHIN YACHT CLUB AREA

• Drink menus have been updated and all drinks included in the upgraded beverage package are specified on the menu

• For the drinks included in complimentary treatment, the guests are not being asked to present their cruise card and they are not signing for the consumptions; the card and signature is being requested only for the drinks on payment

PACKAGE RECOGNITION / SERVICE MODALITIES OUT OF YACHT CLUB AREA

• Yacht Club guests are entitled to consume, at zero charge, all drinks from the above specification. 

• Out of Yacht Club area, the guests have to be identified and they will be asked to present their cruise card for every beverage orders. 

• Printing of package code on Yacht Club cruise cards is not foreseen; the cards themselves are easily recognizable because they have different layout and YC logo

Question 1: On this revised package, what are the Super Premium Spirits? Does anyone have a list?

Question 2: So what was lost for YC guests with the package changes? The only thing I'm gleaning from the many posts is that gelato was removed and drinks that are served at the chocolate shop. Was there anything else?

I ask these questions because we are cruising in September in YC. We booked in September of 2018 a few weeks before the package changes were made so we should be grandfathered in with the old package. But I want to know what was lost with the changes so I know what to expect for any cruises we book going forward.

Simon ... Your first time in YC, so.  Hope you have a wonderful time ... it's rare to find a bad YC review.  We've done 5 YC on 4 different ships so far with our next 2 sailings both in YC.

Edited by Beamafar