Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
kevinrobedm

Yacht Club Drink Package Explanation from MSC (after the recent package changes)

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

 

We're in YC.

 

Debde ... it's the same on Meraviglia - gelato is available in the Atmosphere pool bar on deck 15 aft and the Polar bar on deck 19 aft and included with the old drinks packages, but not in the Jean-Phillipe franchise venue.

 

Thank you. Really good info as Meraviglia is my next sailing-well, at least I'm pretty sure!! :classic_wink:

Really loved Seaside so can't wait to get back on an MSC ship and relax in the YC again!! :classic_biggrin:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderman... here's a photo of the "Connoisseurs Selection" which is what's included in the PremiumPlus package and the Premium selection which is included for YC and is what the old Deluxe package also includes

 

d31b731a1e055b9f2de60310284ec12a.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by Beamafar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Debde said:

 

Thank you. Really good info as Meraviglia is my next sailing-well, at least I'm pretty sure!! :classic_wink:

Really loved Seaside so can't wait to get back on an MSC ship and relax in the YC again!! :classic_biggrin:

 

 

Which Meraviglia itinerary are you considering?  We're doing the one on 18th October to Canada, then continuing from New York down to Miami via the Caribbean.  Great itineraries!  Hopefully, we'll be the first to visit the new private island on the repo (if it actually opens on time LOL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Wonderman... here's a photo of the "Connoisseurs Selection" which is what's included in the PremiumPlus package and the Premium selection which is included for YC and is what the old Deluxe package also includes

 

d31b731a1e055b9f2de60310284ec12a.jpg

 

I'm not sure this is correct.  The MSC response posted by the OP  did not equate the YC drink package to ANY of the  other drink packages, nor did they offer a list of included brands (it would clear up a lot).  Is your assertion that the YC package = Premium an assumption or have you have seen MSC documentation clarify that?  It would contradict the response OP got from MSC, but it would put this whole issue to bed.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

 

Which Meraviglia itinerary are you considering?  We're doing the one on 18th October to Canada, then continuing from New York down to Miami via the Caribbean.  Great itineraries!  Hopefully, we'll be the first to visit the new private island on the repo (if it actually opens on time LOL)

 

I've got her in mind for January 20 when she's in Miami. I want to get out of the cold NY and head to some warmth every January!! :classic_smile:

I know, my fingers crossed it's ready for us!! I will look forward to your review once she is here on this side of the pond!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Debde said:

 

I've got her in mind for January 20 when she's in Miami. I want to get out of the cold NY and head to some warmth every January!! :classic_smile:

I know, my fingers crossed it's ready for us!! I will look forward to your review once she is here on this side of the pond!!

 

Well ... we arrived in Miami on the night of Jan 20 last.  It was 6ºC the next morning!!!!  😱  It was also quite chilly last Monday and Wednesday (Tuesday was warm in sunshine, though chilly in the shade).  The weather was also bad in the Caribbean;  we had a lot of cloud, wind and rain.  Granted, the polar vortex situation played a big part in this and next January will probably be a better prospect.

 

mnocket ... here is exactly what MSC indicated to the OP:

 

"Yacht Club Bars

COMPLIMENTARY:

Full selection of spirits, liquers and cordials including Premium brands 

 

PACKAGE RECOGNITION / SERVICE MODALITIES OUT OF YACHT CLUB AREA

 • Yacht Club guests are entitled to consume, at zero charge, all drinks from the above specification.

 

Nothing in the above states that the Connoisseurs Selection is included.  As far as I can make out, the Premium package has replaced the Deluxe package, with very similar offerings and YC guests will continue to have what MSC has deemed the equivalent package.

Edited by Beamafar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

 

Well ... we arrived in Miami on the night of Jan 20 last.  It was 6ºC the next morning!!!!  😱  It was also quite chilly last Monday and Wednesday (Tuesday was warm in sunshine, though chilly in the shade).  The weather was also bad in the Caribbean;  we had a lot of cloud, wind and rain.  Granted, the polar vortex situation played a big part in this and next January will probably be a better prospect.

 

Oh i know. We did an NCL sailing that left on Monday the the 21st and it was cold. But I could not complain because when we left NY it was 10 degrees. It was still a bit chilly in Key West. Did not feel real warm until we arrived in Nassau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kevinrobedm said:

I am just confirming with MSC but what we were told is that we get whatever package was in place when you booked the cruise.  Others on Cruise Critic have said the same thing. We booked this cruise in September of 2017.  The package that was in place for YC guests wash the All Inclusive Deluxe Drink Package. Since MSC has now re-done their packages it is hard to know what was in one vs the other unless you have the comparison guide.  I am posting comparison guide that was in place prior to the drink package changes.  For those of you that booked prior to the package change (roughly in September/October 2018), if you are in the YC, you should be receiving the All Inclusive Deluxe Package.  The attached .pdf shows what was in the packages prior to the changes.  Hopefully I will get official confirmation from MSC today and I will let everyone know what they tell me.

 

The same should apply to anyone that is not YC, it should be the package that was in place when you made the booking.

 

Again the more everyone knows, the better off we all are.

 

For us the point of all this is that we work hard for the money we get paid. When we book an experience like the YC it is a hefty amount of money that you spend based on a certain experience MSC presents. We understand times change and packages change (and this is totally within MSC's choice to do this) but as a customer you are entitled to get what you paid for, not a substitution.  That is our belief anyway.

 

Thanks.

MSC 2018 Drink Package Comparison Guide.pdf

 

Nice, well according to your comparison, crepes should be included as well, since we booked in July of 2018 and are in the YC.  Sweet.

 

And thanks for posting by the way! 👍

Edited by joeski27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

Sticking like glue and banging my drum that the seaside class are the sexiest vessels at sea.

They are simply stunning ...now its February I can say 'next month' and that feels magic lol

And for me it's Friday so I can say 'next week" lol 🤭😎🛳.  Seaside here we come!

Edited by joeski27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, sverigecruiser said:

 

It will be interesting to see if they will give me any Champagne!

 

Sverige, we had this conversation previously.....lita på mig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, kevinrobedm said:

 ... Since MSC has now re-done their packages it is hard to know what was in one vs the other unless you have the comparison guide.  I am posting comparison guide that was in place prior to the drink package changes.  For those of you that booked prior to the package change (roughly in September/October 2018), if you are in the YC, you should be receiving the All Inclusive Deluxe Package.  The attached .pdf shows what was in the packages prior to the changes. 

 

MSC 2018 Drink Package Comparison Guide.pdf

 

The price limits showing in that chart are now out-of-date as the price of drinks has increased as has the price limit for the various old packages.  I was able to have $14 a glass red wine and $14.75 a glass Nicholas Feuillatte champagne with the Deluxe package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m totally confused now about the YC alcohol offering.  I called MSC this morning and was told “house brand”, not premium, and anything over $8 is full price, not incremental price difference, which makes this worse than NCL’s widely-blasted UBP, which at least covers $15/drink and only charges incremental price difference.

 

I think either it wasn’t explained clearly or the MSC rep is clueless.  Can someone enlighten me?  I would think “regular” mixed drinks are included, and I would hope decent brands of booze, not just house brands, are also included, as far as being used to mix the drinks?  I can’t imagine a mixed drink costing less than $8?

 

That premium price list above was very interesting, many of the items on it were less than half what NCL charges!  Dumb question - is this for a shot of that booze, or for specifying that brand to make up your mixed drink? (E.g. adding it to the base drink price). Can you tell I don’t go to bars or drink much?

 

And it sounds like the free treat items - gelato and ??? - are no longer included for new bookings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those in YC will be entitled to enjoy all the drinks on the Premium Selection page (shown in the photo in the post) as well as all other drinks in the bar menus.  The only drinks EXCLUDED will be the Connoisseurs Selection.  I haven't posted photos of the other pages in the bar menu;  I intend to do that when I write a report on our recent Armonia cruise.

 

The new packages are now drinks-only packages, unlike the previous ones which included gelato from the gelato bars (you can still have gelato for dessert at lunch and dinner in the MDRs) and, in the case of the old Deluxe package, the food items from room service and the in-cabin mini-bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So new booking do not get mini-bar free either then?  Thanks for explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry ... when I referred to the mini-bar, I wasn't thinking in terms of YC (simply because we often have the Deluxe package when not in YC, so the inclusion is important, then).

 

AFAIK, the mini-bar is still included in YC due to the fact that YC is all-inclusive and I would be extremely surprised if that benefit was withdrawn.  It was never dependent on what drinks package was included with YC because the mini-bar was included long before MSC introduced the drinks package allowance for use outside the YC area in April 2017 (before then, drinks were only included in the YC area;  we used to buy an all-inclusive drinks package for use around the rest of the ship when we were in YC).

 

Hope that makes sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, joeski27 said:

And for me it's Friday so I can say 'next week" lol 🤭😎🛳.  Seaside here we come!

Absolutely! Enjoy and let's hope it's an epic trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Sorry ... when I referred to the mini-bar, I wasn't thinking in terms of YC (simply because we often have the Deluxe package when not in YC, so the inclusion is important, then).

 

AFAIK, the mini-bar is still included in YC due to the fact that YC is all-inclusive and I would be extremely surprised if that benefit was withdrawn.  It was never dependent on what drinks package was included with YC because the mini-bar was included long before MSC introduced the drinks package allowance for use outside the YC area in April 2017 (before then, drinks were only included in the YC area;  we used to buy an all-inclusive drinks package for use around the rest of the ship when we were in YC).

 

Hope that makes sense!

It does to me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, after all these confusing posts, let me see if I capture the correct info for PRE November bookers. We booked Seaside YC in April, 2018 for a March 2019 cruise. Therefore, I assume we get the previous YC package of drinks ( previous Deluxe, now Premium), Venchi gelato, drinks, and crepes, and NF champaign. I am also led to believe that one can upgrade the drink package to Premium Plus (ie: Connoisseur?) for $17.95/day. Can someone provide clarity to this specific situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I have enjoyed the amazingly convoluted, intense, certain, uncertain and hopeful posts, I must unequivocally state:

 

"People: we are dealing with MSC here. What you find on board is what you will get"

 

Forget logic, when you booked, what is on your documents, what your sister's nephew's son-in-law's hairdresser's partner's Uber driver said ....

 

You really won't know until you board and even then you will be faced with a moving target. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

While I have enjoyed the amazingly convoluted, intense, certain, uncertain and hopeful posts, I must unequivocally state:

 

"People: we are dealing with MSC here. What you find on board is what you will get"

 

Forget logic, when you booked, what is on your documents, what your sister's nephew's son-in-law's hairdresser's partner's Uber driver said ....

 

You really won't know until you board and even then you will be faced with a moving target. 

 

You are soooo right, Dr C!  😜

 

(I wanted to give your post 5 likes as well as several "HaHa"s - but, unfortunately it's not permitted  :classic_smile:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

 

You are soooo right, Dr C!  😜

 

(I wanted to give your post 5 likes as well as several "HaHa"s - but, unfortunately it's not permitted  :classic_smile:)

 

Thanks!

 

Just read the NCL and Celebrity Boards ... it's the same across all the lines. Previous arrangements and inclusions mean nothing. People can rant and rail as much as they want but it really won't make any difference.

 

Your choices include: 1) go (and suck it up)

 

2) Don't go (and drive everyone in the house, including the cats - crazy)

 

It's nice to vent steam on these boards but all of the cruise lines are searching for the lowest common denominator.

 

Jaded?

 

Yes. But it helps prevent disappointments in the future!

 

 

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say that people are fretting over this issue unnecessarily, IMHO.  We had the old Deluxe package on Armonia last week and got everything that was included.  The drinks price limits had even been increased to take account of the drinks price increases (something I'd been concerned about, beforehand, as I'd only ever had experience of the asterisk system on the drinks menus).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All in all its enough to make you need a drink.....if only you could be certain what you can order :classic_blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, if I am spending thousands of dollars I am entitled to know what I'm buying - or is that unreasonable and entitled?  I'm a loyal Haven cruiser, and I"m about to switch to MSC because I feel like NCL just did a bait & switch on me - I paid for a cruise with specific booze inclusions, but NCL has changed the inclusions before I sail AFTER final payment.  It doesn't affect me at this point because I"m not all that picky, but based on this behavior I have every expectation that it will happen again, and sooner or later I'll be in the position that it is going to cost me extra.

 

Realistically, if the goal line keeps moving, how do I know on board what is and is not included?  If I help myself from the minibar is there signage that tells me what the cost is, or if things are no charge?  If I want a drink, does someone tell me BEFORE they make the drink that it is extra?  I don't mind paying an upcharge if I know about it ahead of time, then it becomes a buying choice, but I don't like being scammed or treated like I'm stupid, which is how I take it when people sneak in extra charges.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crew will always check your cruisecard in advance to ensure that you are covered and will advise you if there is a charge.

 

If you're unsure about whether the mini-bar is included, check with your room steward;  if you know it's included, make sure that your steward is aware.  One of the first things we did when we met our steward last week was to confirm with him that we had free access to the mini-bar (we also confirmed that he would stock it twice a day - something we often have had problems with in the past).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...