Costa Maya questions

shelly222

Hello, 

My daughter who is confined to a wheelchair and I are trying to figure out what to do in Costa Maya... We would like to go to Chacchoben Ruins and just read on a website that the grounds are dirt path and are wheelchair doable as long as they are not muddy. We are going in December so hopefully, they will be dry. 

We would like to do the ruins but also want to stroll through Mahahual Fishing Village as that sounds interesting. 

So my questions are: 

1. Is Mahahual Fishing Village walking/strolling distance from the port? 

2. Is the shuttle tram wheelchair accessible? That tour for scenic stops sounds interesting as well. 

3. What kind of vehicles are the cabs as I was thinking we could take a cab to the ruins and then the fishing village and then walk back to port if doable? My daughters' wheelchair comes apart in two pieces so it fits better in a van or suv as there are only a few cars the pieces will fit in. She can sit on a seat. 

Thank you all so much... 

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Costa Maya in January and booked an tour with Sage Traveling/Accessible Caribbean Vacations.  Our itinerary included:   Chacchoben Ruins -  Local culture and a visit to Mahahual – lunch included with a private guide/driver .  We were extremely please with this tour.  You can contact -   helen@SageTraveling.com

Enjoy!!!

Depends on your definition of strolling distance.  The pier is long enough that they run a trolley to and from.  I honestly can’t remember if there was a WC slot for someone who can’t transfer.  I can, so used it.  I do know there were a couple of cruise employees running people to the end on foot.  Well being pushed in the chairs they use for disembarking....

The fishing village..is that the bit right at the end of the pier with all the shops?  Nice, but very pushy vendors.  I seem to remember some train that ran around the island.  Not sure of the excursion name, but we decided we’d try that next time.  

On 2/12/2019 at 8:34 AM, sailingmickey said:

We were in Costa Maya in January and booked an tour with Sage Traveling/Accessible Caribbean Vacations.  Our itinerary included:   Chacchoben Ruins -  Local culture and a visit to Mahahual – lunch included with a private guide/driver .  We were extremely please with this tour.  You can contact -   helen@SageTraveling.com

Enjoy!!!

Thank you. We looked into them but decided not to go with them. 

On 2/12/2019 at 1:17 PM, spookwife said:

Depends on your definition of strolling distance.  The pier is long enough that they run a trolley to and from.  I honestly can’t remember if there was a WC slot for someone who can’t transfer.  I can, so used it.  I do know there were a couple of cruise employees running people to the end on foot.  Well being pushed in the chairs they use for disembarking....

The fishing village..is that the bit right at the end of the pier with all the shops?  Nice, but very pushy vendors.  I seem to remember some train that ran around the island.  Not sure of the excursion name, but we decided we’d try that next time.  

Thank you 

• 2 months later...

On 2/12/2019 at 1:17 PM, spookwife said:

do you happen to remember the train that ran around the island? we would be interested in whatever info you can provide. 🙂 Thank you so much..