* ms Oosterdam & N Statendam in Port Everglades & Volendam in San Diego Feb. 2nd *

kazu

I don't know about Pennsylvania but our weather sure changed from earlier this week.  Wednesday morning it was -33F with a wind chill of-58F.  Today it is supposed to get to about 35F.  Almost a 70 degree change.  Still not as enjoyable as 1Angelcat will have it today on her sail away.

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Sitting in the terminal waiting to board.

There are 6 of us so far in the VIP area.

Lucky you 🙂. Have a great time and enjoy all the WARM weather 🙂 

I'm always fascinated by the people who walk to the port. Depending on the terminal, it can be a good 3 miles. A taxi has to be less expensive than replacing the wheels on your luggage. 

7 hours ago, ski ww said:

And here I thought the christening was done at launch or before first cruise.

It is, at times (Westerdam, and Nieuw Amsterdam in Venice), but it's also not unusual for the new ship to sail elsewhere, in HAL's case, from Monfalcone and Marghera/Venice, Italy to ports like Rotterdam (Rotterdam, Oosterdam, Eurodam and Koningsdam) New York City (Prinsendam and Noordam) and, yes, Ft. Lauderdale (Maasdam, Statendam, Ryndam, Veendam, Volendam, Amsterdam, Zaandam, Zuiderdam and today, Nieuw Statendam)

Wow, today's a first for me - for a long time.  CC didn't have to even re-load to let me in, and yesterday CC was making me log in each time!  I wonder if someone has been working to make things better.

We have been having gorgeous weather, in fact on Thursday I spent time cleaning up the garden but I have jinxed it - we are due for snow tomorrow!  Poor hummingbirds are probably already nesting and will get a shock.

Countdown clock says 23 minutes!

Edited by Vict0riann

6 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I'm always fascinated by the people who walk to the port. Depending on the terminal, it can be a good 3 miles. A taxi has to be less expensive than replacing the wheels on your luggage. 

Not to mention, it can be dangerous doing the trek to the ship.  There’s a lot of traffic - cars, buses, trucks with goods, etc.

We just take the easy way out and let the taxi/shuttle get us there 😉 

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

Wow, today's a first for me - for a long time.  CC didn't have to even re-load to let me in, and yesterday CC was making me log in each time!  I wonder if someone has been working to make things better.

We have been having gorgeous weather, in fact on Thursday I spent time cleaning up the garden but I have jinxed it - we are due for snow tomorrow!  Poor hummingbirds are probably already nesting and will get a shock.

I was having to log in every time today too, Ann - and yesterday.

That hasn’t been the case for me in the past.

I’m jealous of your weather.  It’s been very COLD here - as in frostbite warning weather.  Much colder than usual and it only gives us a break to send us freezing rain and ice storms 😞. Spring can’t come soon enough 😉 

Wait.... Am I to understand that they're christening the new ship with Oprah? Do they tie her to a ribbon and smash her against the hull? From what I understand, it's bad luck if she doesn't break. 

• Haha 1

It did rain all day yesterday, Jacqui, and was our usual grey wintry day, and a lot of people don't like that.  They would rather have cold, snow and bright sunshine all the time.  I like the damp...  I'm a Victoria girl!

18 minutes to go!

LOL,  POA, I can see it in my mind's eye!

Edited by Vict0riann

1 hour ago, travelnap said:

I don't know about Pennsylvania but our weather sure changed from earlier this week.  Wednesday morning it was -33F with a wind chill of-58F.  Today it is supposed to get to about 35F.  Almost a 70 degree change.  Still not as enjoyable as 1Angelcat will have it today on her sail away.

https://tenor.com/view/heat-wave-muppet-christmas-carol-gif-10917837

😭 I can't insert this gif 

28 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Some crew do it all the time, especially the Princess crew with berths close to the main gate. Others with more brain power, use one of the vans run by the local seafarers organizations for $4 each way :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, travelnap said:

Southwestern PA -- Wednesday and Thursday were horrible -- our lows were only -5 each morning but the winds were horrible making it feel like -30.  Not as bad as what you had.  

We were told that the temperatures would rise on Friday after getting 1 to 2 inches of snow.  Low was 6 so schools went on a hour delay after having been closed for 2 days.   By 7 AM, the snow was really coming down so the schools closed.  By the time this storm was over early afternoon we had 5 inches of heavy, wet snow.

Today the sun is out and it is 34 degrees.

We are going out for dinner for the first time in over a month -- actually 5 weeks.

15 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Some crew do it all the time, especially the Princess crew with berths close to the main gate. Others with more brain power, use one of the vans run by the local seafarers organizations for $4 each way :classic_wink:

Yes, but they know what they're doing. I'm talking about middle aged tourists with three suitcases, carry on luggage and a vague idea that their ship is just beyond security at the Port Everglades entrance. 

25 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Yes, but they know what they're doing. I'm talking about middle aged tourists with three suitcases, carry on luggage and a vague idea that their ship is just beyond security at the Port Everglades entrance. 

Got ya!

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

Don't know if this is coming through on the webcam, but there is varsity level horn action. 

It is definitely coming through on the webcam.  That cargo ship is probably wondering what it did to upset all the other ships.

Edited by travelnap

Just now, travelnap said:

Now that is what I would call a real toot fest with the dedication of the Nieuw Statendam.

Indeed 🙂 

I’m wondering if there will be special tooting tomorrow when she sails?

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Indeed 🙂 

I’m wondering if there will be special tooting tomorrow when she sails?

Usually fireboat spray shows from the tugs. That'll be awesome. Princess did fireworks for their naming ceremony. 

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

Usually fireboat spray shows from the tugs. That'll be awesome. Princess did fireworks for their naming ceremony. 

They did that for the Oprah cruise too if I recall correctly.  It was really neat.

Thanks 🙂. Tomorrow should be fun then 😉