Top LCD panel...why?

pierces

The new giant Panasonic FF camera was just announced and it has a large top LCD like the Nikon and Canon Mirrorless entries.

Why?

They made sense when they appeared on increasingly electronic film cameras and even early DSLRs with crappy, unreadable rear LCDs. Why are they needed on a new camera in 2019? There is a big, clear LCD display on the back and since the cameras mentioned above are mirrorless, the current settings are clearly visible in the viewfinder.

So, why?

Redundancy? Maybe. If the viewfinder and LCD fail, you can still see your settings. (Yes, that was sarcasm.)

Demand? Doubt it. My A77 had a top LCD that I can't honestly remember referring to since the back LCD was so easy ro read. Since I moved away from the DSLR form factor, I have asked dozens of photographers I run into when traveling about the necessity of a top LCD out of curiosity. The majority (large majority) of DSLR users that had them said they never really look at it and use the back screen. Most of  the few positive responses were; "out of habit" or "all PRO cameras have them". The shooters that didn't have them almost universally never felt the need for one. I haven't yet run into a Nikon or Canon FF mirrorless user yet, but I imagine the addition of the full information viewfinder will keep the trend alive.

We always did it that way and our users expect it? My vote for the likely answer.

Personally, my main reason for pooh-pooing them is that they aren't that useful to me since my post-40s prescription is for distance and I wear glasses when I shoot. The diopter adjustment on my viewfinder corrects for my glasses but a top LCD is both small and uncorrected. The back LCD in info mode is much larger, making it the choice for a casual waist-level glance without removing my glasses or peering over them. For tripod-mounted shots, tilting rear LCDs made the relatively tiny top LCD on the A77 redundant and the missing top LCD on the e-mount bodies un-missed. It also allows for a smaller body and I'd rather save the extra volume whenever I can while traveling.

What are your thoughts? Need? Nice-to-have? Indifference?

Dave

I would agree with the not needed vote - though when I've had them, I do occasionally look at them.  Certainly not to where I feel I need one, or wouldn't be able to live without one.  Where I think they'd be most useful is if they were in an 'always-on' state, such as if that display were an e-paper type that draws no power but can still show current settings for ISO, shutter, Aperture, etc.  It would allow you to see the settings even while the camera is in sleep mode, to be prepared to shoot without having to wake the camera to see the LCD or EVF display.  In very rare circumstances, I could see the top panel being useful when shooting in darker conditions where you never want the LCD to light up and bother anyone around you - setting a camera to view only through the EVF, and being able to occasionally consult the top panel LCD with a very dim light to see settings could be a rare case where it has a purpose.  The only other case that might be useful is mounted on a tripod at a low angle or high pitch where viewing through the EVF is difficult, and the LCD might be too bright or distracting...the top panel could be used instead to confirm settings without bending down to try to see through the EVF.

In general though, I've never missed not having one.  Currently I've got one on my RX10, but none of my other cameras have one.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've actually looked at that top panel on the RX10 in a situation where it was a significant advantage over simply seeing the settings in the EVF.

It is a weird thing to still have on cameras. The D5100 dropped it, back on D7500, both D700 & D750 have it. Especially with large tilt screens, I see absolutely no point. The D7500 has a nice touch screen also. Just weird. I agree with zackiedawg it would be nice if unable to see the screen or in areas not wanting to disturb due to brightness - even on the lowest setting, the displays are very bright, especially in low light situations.

On my Fuji X-H1 I find it useful to be able to check the state of the batteries plus No of shots remaining, other than through the viewfinder and even with the camera turned off, plus set the EV when turned on.

I could manage without the top panel, but since I have it I use it.