Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Lloyd555

Very cool photos Lloyd and thanks for sharing.

It's fascinating watching the whole build process block by block. While I have seen a lot of blocks being lifted into place, these last two seem even more fascinating and interesting how it's done ( Also partly due to some high resolution photos). The preciseness and exactness at the point were a portion of some balcony door is on the right side block while the other small piece of the same door is on the left block. Very cool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OACAggie said:

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but is the Windjammer on 14 going to be totally enclosed and have no outdoor seating?

Looking at the bottom photo from Lloyd and comparing it to Spectrum, I would think it's going to be totally enclosed. I could be wrong but, see photos below.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

6 minutes ago, OACAggie said:

@Tall-Cruiser, yes it looks to me like that. Just wasn’t sure if it had been discussed already. I like the outdoor seating. Maybe since it is a warm weather ship, they want to maximize the air conditioned area of WJ?

I had always assumed that it would be open like the other Quantum Class ships and the fact that she would home port in Florida. So I'm surprised that the back of the WJ may be similar to Spectrum. 

• 2 weeks later...

My read is that he's looking at new orders down the road as taking time to build up. Outside of mentioning 1 customer not placing any orders and getting by with current ships, he mentioned nothing on delays on current ships under construction. 

In looking at the most recent webcam image of Odyssey, I think she will be completed before Spring 2021. Also as @crewsweeper notes above the article does not say anything about the ships currently in either Hall 5 or Hall 6 being delayed. Mr Meyer is more concerned about the order book in that article. If the demand for cruising declines, Cruise Lines may want to delay building new ships if they cannot fill them. With less orders and a constant flow of work at the yards, they may be faced with the issue of reducing their workforce.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

IRIEIAIDIBIEITIWIEIEINITIHIEILIIINIEISI 😉

Yep, that is what I was doing. The article said “Meyer Werft is cutting overtime and weekend work. Contract staff are being reduced.” Now maybe that won’t affect Odyssey or maybe it will. I know they have to meet a tight time window for the conveyance on the river.  And if cutting overtime and contractors puts them behind schedule they will have to wait until spring for the conveyance.

I am sure Royal Caribbean would not mind deferring final payment for a while. Again, just speculation on my part but certainly plausible.

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

My read is that he's looking at new orders down the road as taking time to build up. Outside of mentioning 1 customer not placing any orders and getting by with current ships, he mentioned nothing on delays on current ships under construction. 

Actually he did... I watched the whole video (and I´m German). He did not mention any delays on specific ships. But as the customers don´t really need the new ships they are negotiating about delaying an order. This might not affect the ships currently built which are already close to delivery (Spirit of Adventure and Odyssey of the Seas in Papenburg or Mardi Gras - which is already delayed - in Turku). There might be some shorter delays for those ships. But it might affect those ships which haven´t progressed much like AIDAcosma or Icon class. Bernard Meyer was talking about reducing the capacity in Papenburg from 2 big and 1 small ship to 1 big and 1 small ship per year (which would be app. 40% less).

So whether there will be an delay of the current new builts mainly depends on the customer (if the customer wants it to be delayed). Otherwise they will keep the contracts and work on to avoid any penalties.

steamboats

4 hours ago, eel said:

Yep, that is what I was doing. The article said “Meyer Werft is cutting overtime and weekend work. Contract staff are being reduced.” Now maybe that won’t affect Odyssey or maybe it will. I know they have to meet a tight time window for the conveyance on the river.  And if cutting overtime and contractors puts them behind schedule they will have to wait until spring for the conveyance.

I am sure Royal Caribbean would not mind deferring final payment for a while. Again, just speculation on my part but certainly plausible.

There are no time restrictions or tight time windows for the river conveyance in winter between October and March.

The translation gave me quite a laugh... "Zulage" can be translated into "allowance". But here they mean that extra space on the side of the frist buiding block of the AIDAcosma. There they prepare a block which is place on the big block. So the "Zulage" is the second block part where you can see the two green cranes.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

There are no time restrictions or tight time windows for the river conveyance in winter between October and March.

Sorry, I must have had that backwards then.  So after March there are restrictions?

29 minutes ago, eel said:

Sorry, I must have had that backwards then.  So after March there are restrictions?

Yes, in the summer months. Due to environmental reasons they may not close the river dam from April until September.