Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Lloyd555

On 6/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Those new ship behemoths can break even running at 30% capacity where older ships need 50% or more.  That’s straight from the execs at Royal on the latest earnings conference call. Guess which ships are getting mothballed first....it ain’t the new behemoths. 

Let's be clear on what was said about "breaking even" at 30% capacity.  The statement was "kind of break even" on an EBITDA basis (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization).  That means the ship can cover the operating cost of a cruise without paying the interest or capital on its financing, the taxes and other corporate expenses (each ship's share of headquarters expenses like marketing, legal, etc).  Kind of like saying "my current paycheck will cover all expenses if I don't pay the mortgage or taxes, so I'm breaking even".  So, while the operating cost of running the ship at reduced capacity will increase over the operating cost of sitting idle, that increase in cost will be covered by the revenue from 30% capacity, but the ship will still be losing money, as other non-EBITDA expenses continue to accrue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Let's be clear on what was said about "breaking even" at 30% capacity.  The statement was "kind of break even" on an EBITDA basis (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization).  That means the ship can cover the operating cost of a cruise without paying the interest or capital on its financing, the taxes and other corporate expenses (each ship's share of headquarters expenses like marketing, legal, etc).  Kind of like saying "my current paycheck will cover all expenses if I don't pay the mortgage or taxes, so I'm breaking even".  So, while the operating cost of running the ship at reduced capacity will increase over the operating cost of sitting idle, that increase in cost will be covered by the revenue from 30% capacity, but the ship will still be losing money, as other non-EBITDA expenses continue to accrue.

I'm not disputing that but when comparing apples to apples in regards to the question that I answered the large ships operate a lot more efficiently and would be the ones to stay while the old ones are the first to go if they had to make a choice.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, seaface said:

So if I have a November 14th sailing- should I be proactive and re-book for next year or wait until the final payment in August?

Wait and see before cancelling this one.  You could always book another non refundable deposit as a backup just in case and lock in the price. 

On 6/16/2020 at 6:58 AM, chengkp75 said:

Yes, people are often economically illiterate.  Good explanation.

jc

According to several German news outlets there was a fire in the morning which was soon under control. Although the ship was not named by Meyer Werft it´s said to be on the Odyessey of the Seas on deck 2. It´s said that some insulation material caught fire. But the reason was not clear yet. No injuries. Just damage.

steamboats

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

According to several German news outlets there was a fire in the morning which was soon under control. Although the ship was not named by Meyer Werft it´s said to be on the Odyessey of the Seas on deck 2. It´s said that some insulation material caught fire. But the reason was not clear yet. No injuries. Just damage.

steamboats

Sure hope any damage to Odyssey in minimal, and does not cause a delay in her delivery to RCCL.  Thanks for your post.

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

On Facebook 

FB_IMG_1593011373340.jpg.67d88bc31360e5d51cbb4428de92525d.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Not by Royal or Meyer Werft.  

It was said "on a ship which is finished by 2/3" and obviously the local police mentioned the name.

Anyway those small fires happen ... and usually they are extinct quickly. Usually it´s just a local damage.

steamboats