Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Lloyd555

Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

 

See the thruster marker, x in a circle, look for it in the Anthem picture. Plus the Odyssey will ride a little lower once full.

 

As far as Port side, the big O will definitely be on the flat part of the lower hull

 

Plus on the starboard side the bulk of her name will be exposed to the dock and the bumpers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

As far as Port side, the big O will definitely be on the flat part of the lower hull

 

Edit

Unless they do a mirrow image of the Port side onto the Starboard

 side "yessydO" :classic_biggrin: 

 

I just realized that the in the current photo the name is on the port side. :classic_smile:

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

 

Edit

Unless they do a mirrow image of the Port side onto the Starboard

 side "yessydO" :classic_biggrin: 

 

I just realized that the in the current photo the name is on the port side. :classic_smile:

 

I'm easily confused.

 

I usually use Port or Fork is Left (4 letters)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AidaCosma megablock in front of her is coming along and I still think Odyssey will be floated out in about a month to make room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I´m not sure... but didn´t they mount the Sky Pad inside for test purposes only and then removed it because with the Sky Pad the ship won´t be able to pass the gates of the building hall? Hasn´t this been done with the previous ships?

 

steamboats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steamboats said:

I´m not sure... but didn´t they mount the Sky Pad inside for test purposes only and then removed it because with the Sky Pad the ship won´t be able to pass the gates of the building hall? Hasn´t this been done with the previous ships?

 

steamboats

 

Nope. The Sky Pad stayed on.

 

20200914_060854.thumb.jpg.98f7c8f6daf44e0743acf94cdd49ecac.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

What a beautiful shot.  It looks like Odyssey is sparkling.

 

That is Spectrum of the Seas. 

Showing that the Sky Pad was on board her for float out.

Edited by Lloyd555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

 

That is Spectrum of the Seas. 

Showing that the Sky Pad was on board her for float out.

Thanks for clarifying.  It's a beautiful ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

What does 'blocks are in the house' mean?

 

Ah. Blocks Are In The House.

A term handed down from one cruise ship build to another in the Cruise Critic universe. It refers favorably to the first appearance of the cruise ship blocks in the shipyard.

 

20200914_195704.thumb.jpg.4f83986034b8c7fd29c6ca6ace8e2a23.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And in case you're wondering - these ships are built in segments.  They aren't built in the dock plate by plate, they're built on land in sections called "blocks" and then assembled in the dock (think manufactured modular home, arrives at the building site in 2 or more pieces).  Sometimes "blocks" are pre-assembled in "megablocks" to then be put together to form the ship.

 

So.. "blocks are in the house" refers to the appearance of those segments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The front section megablock of AidaCosma seems to have slow progress, so no movement of Odyssey for a while probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This repair will certainly take awhile. I mean first they cant have many workers at one place at once and second, its bit like they are in a hurry to complete it. I think it might take up to the end of the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe somebody asked this question, but I do not like to search 26 pages:

I booked a standard balcony cabin, and suddenly I notised the size of the cabin is comparable to our first cruise with Sovereign, and 6 m2 smaller than those standard balconies on Oasis class, It looks as if you want that size, you have to book a cabin with large balcony. 11 m2 for 3 People is very small. I checked both the american and the Norwegian home page of RCI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, sbtagent said:

Maybe somebody asked this question, but I do not like to search 26 pages:

I booked a standard balcony cabin, and suddenly I notised the size of the cabin is comparable to our first cruise with Sovereign, and 6 m2 smaller than those standard balconies on Oasis class, It looks as if you want that size, you have to book a cabin with large balcony. 11 m2 for 3 People is very small. I checked both the american and the Norwegian home page of RCI.

Incorrect information on the deck plans.

 

there are the same number of balcony cabins per deck as Quantum, Anthem, Ovation and the balconies will be the same size as those 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The front section megablock of AidaCosma seems to have slow progress, so no movement of Odyssey for a while probably.

That's what Steamboats and myself was saying back in post 634

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Incorrect information on the deck plans.

 

there are the same number of balcony cabins per deck as Quantum, Anthem, Ovation and the balconies will be the same size as those 

This is what the booking page says, probably not correct:

Enjoy the ocean sounds from your a private balcony and sitting area.

Size
Stateroom: 119 sq. ft.
Balcony: 50 sq. ft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sbtagent said:

Maybe somebody asked this question, but I do not like to search 26 pages:

I booked a standard balcony cabin, and suddenly I notised the size of the cabin is comparable to our first cruise with Sovereign, and 6 m2 smaller than those standard balconies on Oasis class, It looks as if you want that size, you have to book a cabin with large balcony. 11 m2 for 3 People is very small. I checked both the american and the Norwegian home page of RCI.

Shockingly, I think the Royal website shows the wrong size for your cabin.  The deck plan website I use shows the smallest balcony at 177 square feet (16.4 m2) with most matching the Oasis class size for balcony cabins.  I would contact Royal or your Travel Agent to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sbtagent said:

Maybe somebody asked this question, but I do not like to search 26 pages:

I booked a standard balcony cabin, and suddenly I notised the size of the cabin is comparable to our first cruise with Sovereign, and 6 m2 smaller than those standard balconies on Oasis class, It looks as if you want that size, you have to book a cabin with large balcony. 11 m2 for 3 People is very small. I checked both the american and the Norwegian home page of RCI.

Our standard balcony cabin on Ovation was quite roomy and very comfortable.  This class of ship has very roomy cabins, so I think what you read is wrong.

Ovation Cabin 8520

 

Ovation Cabin 8520

 

20190521_105548-313x450.jpg

 

We are booked in another standard balcony cabin for 23 nights next year and looking forward to it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sbtagent said:

This is what the booking page says, probably not correct:

Enjoy the ocean sounds from your a private balcony and sitting area.

Size
Stateroom: 119 sq. ft.
Balcony: 50 sq. ft.

 

Is it possible you were looking at Single Solo cabins?   They are 100 sq (interior) or 120 sq (balcony). Balcony size is 55 sq feet.

 

At least that what cruise mapper says. Scroll down a couple pages. 

 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/cabins/Odyssey-Of-The-Seas-1862

Edited by HBE4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, and the cabin is describes as suitable for 4 persons, but I think the single cabin must be the ones with such small size, and there is a fault on the booking pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...