Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CruiseNut24

Hand Sanitizer & Noro

Recommended Posts

Just have to ask,  tried to search but hard to pin point what I'm looking for.  Does anyone know of a hand sanitizer that kills or helps prevent Norovirus?  I know washing hands is the best thing, and we do constantly, and we use the normal anti bacterial hand sanitizer, but looking for something stronger.  would be looking to use it after touching the dinning room chairs and menu where there not an option to wash hands.

 

TIA 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CruiseNut24 said:

Just have to ask,  tried to search but hard to pin point what I'm looking for.  Does anyone know of a hand sanitizer that kills or helps prevent Norovirus?  I know washing hands is the best thing, and we do constantly, and we use the normal anti bacterial hand sanitizer, but looking for something stronger.  would be looking to use it after touching the dinning room chairs and menu where there not an option to wash hands.

 

TIA 

There are a few that work against the norovirus, but I'm not sure how effective they are at actually killing the virus:

https://www.romper.com/p/this-one-hand-sanitizer-kills-norovirus-heres-where-to-get-it-36604

 

For me personally, those sanitizers would wreak havoc on my skin (which is dry enough already, thank you).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Noro is one of the tougher bugs to kill. 15 minutes of wet alcohol or 5 minutes wet bleach is the norm. There are bottles of stuff out there that will do the job, no idea what chemical they use or effect on skin over long time use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been cruising since 1973 and have never gotten a neuro virus on a ship or on land.

I use purell and wash my hands.I use sking lotion to keep my hands from getting dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really don’t know of any hand sanitizer that will kill noro virus totally. Other than wearing latex gloves, I’m not sure anything will keep you completely safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Relying on hand sanitizer to protect yourself from Norovirus (or any virus) is a bit like relying on a paper umbrella to keep you dry in the rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need hand sanitizer...simply wash with soap and water, and do NOT touch your nose, eyes or mouth unless you've washed your hands first.  Those are the "entry" points.  You can have all sorts of germs on your hands, but as long as you don't introduce them into your body, you're good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CDC recommends an alcohol based sanitizer.  I use Clorox hand santizer, which is alcohol based.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 5:02 PM, beachbum53 said:

Relying on hand sanitizer to protect yourself from Norovirus (or any virus) is a bit like relying on a paper umbrella to keep you dry in the rain.


But on the plus side, those sanitizers do a great job of helping ordinary bacterias evolve into super bacteria that are much harder to kill.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:


But on the plus side, those sanitizers do a great job of helping ordinary bacterias evolve into super bacteria that are much harder to kill.  

Bacteria and virus are two different things. You can cover yourself from head to toe with hand sanitizer and you still won't be protected from viruses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Bacteria and virus are two different things. You can cover yourself from head to toe with hand sanitizer and you still won't be protected from viruses.


Exactly.  But people insist on using anti-bacterial treatments for viral conditions which are useless for treating the condition but contribute to the ongoing problem of breeding bacteria that are increasingly resistant to the effects of anti-bacterial treatments.  Whether it is Purell on a cruise ship or a pediatrician giving your kid amoxicillin for a cold.  The so-called 'superbugs' that plague hospitals are directly the result of human stupidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is always the option to wash your hands after handling menus or food/serving utensils in the buffet.   Restrooms are located very close to all dining rooms on every ship we've been on, plus now many ships are adding hand-washing stations to the buffets.   So your food may be a little cooler when you eat it, but you reduce your chance of getting Noro - your choice.   

I asked my doctor about hand-sanitizers - she agreed they don't kill Noro, but Clorox based ones can kill some nasty bacteria (E.coli for example) which you'd also want to avoid on a cruise.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming you have washed your hands just before entering the dining room/buffet: how beneficial would gloves (cloth decorative or food/medical) or napkins be in minimizing the spread from chairs, tables, menus, silverware, serving utensils, etc.?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:25 PM, Shmoo here said:

There are a few that work against the norovirus, but I'm not sure how effective they are at actually killing the virus:

https://www.romper.com/p/this-one-hand-sanitizer-kills-norovirus-heres-where-to-get-it-36604

 

For me personally, those sanitizers would wreak havoc on my skin (which is dry enough already, thank you).

Maybe yes, maybe no :).  The active ingredient is Benzalkonium Chloride, which is somewhat controversial among the experts.  Several European health authorities have said that this stuff does kill Noro.  But the US FDA has taken a more cautious position since there have apparently been some conflicting studies.  A similar product (with the same active ingredient) is called Zoono Hand Sanitizer (germfree24).  This same product was licensed to CVS and sold as CVS Advanced Antiseptic Hand Sanitizer but that seems to have recently disappeared from CVS shelves.  We actually purchase the Zoono product from Zoono USA online and use it whenever we travel.  DW and I have never had a case of Noro, but that was also true before we started using this product (and we have spent more then 1000 days on cruise ships).  But we both like this Zoono product is water-based and has very little alcohol, does not dry out your hands, and is suppose to be effective for up to 24 hours.  Since we both started using this product we have certainly reduced the number of colds and other basic infections.  

 

I have spent some time reading the scientific studies about Benzalkonium Chloride and finally gave up :(.  It is certainly a more effective product then the normal hand sanitizers used most places, but the Noro question is still open.  Apparently, until recently, scientists could not culture Norovirus in the lab so testing products was near impossible.  Recently there have been some advances in culturing the virus..so perhaps we will soon get some definitive information.  For now we use frequent hand washing (soap and water) followed by the use of our Zoono sanitizer.  

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a discussion on this forum from a passenger complaining at the number of passengers who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. I agree with that OP and I was very surprised at the number of posters who told him to mind his own business because it wasn't a big deal. Anyone who doesn't think washing hands on a cruise is a big deal hasn't experienced a ship with norovirus. Everything has to be cleaned and the staff handles all foods and drinks. That means you have to request a crew member come over to salt and pepper your fried eggs, which got cold while waiting 15 minutes in line for a cup of coffee.

 

Take 30 seconds and wash your hands.

 

Burt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purell has a formula (VF-447) which they claim is effective against Norovirus. It's in use on Cunard ships (and others, I assume) but not sold in the US. 

 

I've looked at the testing method and I think it relies on more product and a longer period of application than is practical for regular people to rely on (especially when it's dispensed as a pea-sized drop by a helpful ship's employee).

 

I rely on frequent handwashing with soap and water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Beachdude said:

I remember a discussion on this forum from a passenger complaining at the number of passengers who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. I agree with that OP and I was very surprised at the number of posters who told him to mind his own business because it wasn't a big deal. Anyone who doesn't think washing hands on a cruise is a big deal hasn't experienced a ship with norovirus. Everything has to be cleaned and the staff handles all foods and drinks. That means you have to request a crew member come over to salt and pepper your fried eggs, which got cold while waiting 15 minutes in line for a cup of coffee.

 

Take 30 seconds and wash your hands.

 

Burt

I remember that too, and it made me wonder. Did that person stand inside the restroom for several hours at a time, taking notice of who did or did not wash their hands, and then follow each person that didn't wash their hands to see where they went after leaving the restroom? Kind of creepy. Almost perverse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 11:03 AM, Toofarfromthesea said:

...or a pediatrician giving your kid amoxicillin for a cold.  The so-called 'superbugs' that plague hospitals are directly the result of human stupidity.

Wash hands often and KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF YOUR EYES, NOSE AND MOUTH. Your hands can be covered with Noro, it still has to get IN your body. By the way, change doctor. That waiting room is going to be one nasty petri dish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

I remember that too, and it made me wonder. Did that person stand inside the restroom for several hours at a time, taking notice of who did or did not wash their hands, and then follow each person that didn't wash their hands to see where they went after leaving the restroom? Kind of creepy. Almost perverse.

Are you a creep for asking the person next to you with a cold to cover their mouth as they sneeze or cough? How creepy is suggesting the person standing in front of you in line who shows signs of the flu to go back to their room? 

 

As I said, after dealing with the harsh realities of norovirus on a ship of 3000 passengers; habits for sanitation and sterility continually preached by the crew become vivid and 2nd nature.

 

When the chap humming to his urinal next to you turns around and walks directly to grab the door handle while still zipping up exits strait into dining room,  theater, buffet line, casino, or captains welcoming party, without making any attempt to prevent spreading the virus, he is judged no less than a criminal. 

 

Creepy? It's my vacation too. Is it really so much to ask anyone who enters the public restroom to wash their hands after shedding their bodily waste? 

 

Burt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Beachdude said:

Are you a creep for asking the person next to you with a cold to cover their mouth as they sneeze or cough? How creepy is suggesting the person standing in front of you in line who shows signs of the flu to go back to their room? 

 

As I said, after dealing with the harsh realities of norovirus on a ship of 3000 passengers; habits for sanitation and sterility continually preached by the crew become vivid and 2nd nature.

 

When the chap humming to his urinal next to you turns around and walks directly to grab the door handle while still zipping up exits strait into dining room,  theater, buffet line, casino, or captains welcoming party, without making any attempt to prevent spreading the virus, he is judged no less than a criminal. 

 

Creepy? It's my vacation too. Is it really so much to ask anyone who enters the public restroom to wash their hands after shedding their bodily waste? 

 

Burt

 

I can't help but wonder,  how can someone that is a germaphobe truly relax and enjoy their vacation while worrying about the personal hygiene practices of others? I highly doubt that anyone has ever contracted norovirus from someone that is in good health that didn't wash their hands after taking a whiz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

 

I can't help but wonder,  how can someone that is a germaphobe truly relax and enjoy their vacation while worrying about the personal hygiene practices of others? I highly doubt that anyone has ever contracted norovirus from someone that is in good health that didn't wash their hands after taking a whiz. 

Not sure we agree.  The CDC (and other health experts) say that the best prevention for Noro is to wash hands (often) with warm soapy water for about 30 seconds.  Not washing your hands after using a rest room (especially a public rest room) increases the chances that your hands will be carrying various bugs (virus and bacteria) that will be transferred to anything you touch, such as a serving spoon, chair, etc.   There is a very good reason why cruise lines continuously urge passengers to wash their hands.   Being in good health has nothing to do with your hands carrying various nasty bugs.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

 

I can't help but wonder,  how can someone that is a germaphobe truly relax and enjoy their vacation while worrying about the personal hygiene practices of others? I highly doubt that anyone has ever contracted norovirus from someone that is in good health that didn't wash their hands after taking a whiz. 

I've already assumed it because your condescending tone doesn't share the seriousness of the situation, but have you experienced a cruise with norovirus?

 

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beachdude said:

I've already assumed it because your condescending tone doesn't share the seriousness of the situation, but have you experienced a cruise with norovirus?

 

Burt

Not sure why you said "condescending tone"? If you're mistaking my blunt honesty as "condescending", so be it. No, I've never experienced norovirus, or any illness on a cruise. I also don't waste my time worrying about someone else's personal hygiene. I am not a germaphobe. I would obviously steer clear of someone that's ill, and wash my hands with soap and water when necessary. I do not use or rely on hand sanitizer for protection. Nor do I wipe things down with sanitizer wipes. Both products have ZERO effect on protecting someone from a virus. If you think otherwise, then you're only fooling yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...