Sinagpore/Hong Kong

portnum

As part of my Norwegian cruise itinerary, I will be in Singapore and Hong Kong for two days each. Any recommendations on what to do in those cities if you only had two days each? Not sure on the recommendation on transportation (Uber equivalent/public transport). I never been to those two cities and feel excited.

Thanks!

In Singapore we took the ship's shuttle up to town and hired a taxi driver for the day to drive us around.

If cruising with NCL, you are probably at Kai Tak (old airport) cruise terminal.  Can't help with transportation at Kai Tak, but if docking at Ocean Terminal, it is a short walk to the HK Island ferries (Star Ferries). Closest MTR is about 5 - 10 mins walk.

In Hong Kong for 2 days, I would spend 1 day on HK Island - Peak, Aberdeen Harbour, Repulse Bay, Stanley Market. Everything is available by public transport

Day 2 - I would look for a private tour to Lantau Island

Singapore is not the best tourist town.

I enjoyed getting a Singapore Sling at the Long Bar at Raffles Hotel (where it was invented).  But I think it might be being renovated.

There is the "canoe" on the top of the Sands.  

If you like amusement parks, there is a Universal Studios there.

Walking and shopping in the Chinatown area is fun.  For high end shopping there is Orchard Street.

Hong Kong is probably my favorite city in the world.  Shopping, of course.  If you want a GOOD tailor, let me know.  I have been using one for over 30 years.

For parks there is a Disney (great fun eating noodle watching Mickey 😄 ).  And Ocean Park, which is like a Sea World.   

Go up to Victoria Peak for the view, and the funicular ride is fun.  There are various tours around Hong Kong Island or up to the New Territories.  

And in both places EATING. 😄

In Singapore, make a trip to Newton Food Court.  What they did, is to control the food vendors, instead of food carts, they have these food courts, where there many small stalls.  They will bring out menus and serve you.  Chili Crab is a must do in Singapore.

Sentosa Island in Singapore is absolutely beautiful. You can easily spend an entire day there. The Marina Bay Sands Hotel is another great place. If you take the elevator to the top floor the Observation Deck is wonderful and the views are spectacular. The food court in the Marina Bay Sands Shopping Complex has every famous dish that you can think of. Very busy and very reasonable prices. The hardest thing is trying to get a table to sit at. Chinatown is also an interesting place to spend a few hours. Plenty of places to get a great meal. The hawker stalls are also interesting. A large bowl of Wonton Noodle Soup was only four Singapore dollars.You also need a large Tiger Beer to wash down the wontons. Italian and Thailand food was great too. Every one there uses hot chili’s so be careful if you don’t like really hot food.

15 hours ago, portnum said:

As part of my Norwegian cruise itinerary, I will be in Singapore and Hong Kong for two days each. Any recommendations on what to do in those cities if you only had two days each? Not sure on the recommendation on transportation (Uber equivalent/public transport). I never been to those two cities and feel excited.

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Wish we were going...it is easy to get around Singapore and Hong Kong using public transportation.

For additional information, visit the Asia thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/

Thank you to all that replied. My apologies for misspelling Singapore. I am still new to the world of cruise (first time cruising out of non-US port). I will one day be able to pay it forward and give advice in this forum.

I will be staying at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. Any recommendations for a hotel in Hong Kong?

Edited by portnum

I am a Marriott person.  So I either stay at the JW Marriott on Hong Kong island.  Nice place, as there is a mall and a subway stop under the hotel.

The other is the Renaissance Kowloon.   Not quite as convenient to the subway, but walking distance to lots of shopping.

For getting to/from the airport, there are airport buses.  Longer trip, but see some interesting things.

The airport express train is fast.  You can get off on Kowloon side or Hong Kong island.  Then there are shuttle buses to the hotels.   On Hong Kong Island, the buses are smaller and have to carry your suitcases up several steps.  So I take a taxi.  On Kowloon side, the buses are fine.

In Singapore - we highly recommend staying at Royal Plaza on Scotts.   We spent 4 nights in Singapore.  When researching what to do, while we were there, we came across the following recommendations:

image.png.48b050a596ec23c66944a65590dcc22f.png

Edited by Von & John

• 1 month later...

We went along to the Long Bar at Raffles to try a Singapore sling. Great atmospheric experience but horrendously expensive about $40 each drink (3 years ago).

In HK we always used the MTR (mass transit railway) fast  efficient clean and cheap. We would  go to Mong Kok and the  night market and eat in one of the  many market eateries - brilliant fresh food at great prices 

Singapore street food and market food is wonderful and completely safe and hygienic. Safer than many a restaurant in the western world.

In SIN I tend to avoid anything with the word "Quay " in it. I.e. Clarke quay or Boat Quay.  Mayor tourist trap!

Bring a theme park fan.. In my one day in Hong Kong, I visited Disneyland, it was cool-ish and misting/rain, the park was a ghost town and I was able to do everything (some things 6 or 7 times!) within a few hours and then left to explore the actual city.

I spent 5 days in Singapore so I checked out the Universal Studios park there, unlike at Disney, it was incredibly busy and pretty subpar operations. I also visited the delightfully odd Haw Par Villa for maybe an hour of just... experiencing. Seeing the Merlion was a must for me. And also checking out Marina Bay Sands (that I was lucky enough to stay at!). Also spent a half day walking around the Gardens by the Bay, while you can go for free, I did do two of the pay-for areas, the giant indoor waterfall and the sky tree walk way. Wish I had gone back to see the area at night but I was so tired / jet lagged.

I highly recommend spending time at Gardens By The Bay across from the Marina Bay Sands hotel.  We spent the better part of a day wandering through the exhibits, enjoying different displays, and varying plant life.  We were too tired (jet lag) to go back for the night lights tour, but have heard they're wonderful as well.

In Hong Kong we did 2 lines of the Hop On Hop Off bus, with a long stop at the Stanley Market.  To get to the Ho Ho bus, we took the White Star Ferry (crossed another off the bucket list), and be sure to be out on deck if you depart Hong Kong at night - you'll be treated to an amazing light show as you exit the bay.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

On 4/4/2019 at 1:58 AM, buchhalm said:

Singapore street food and market food is wonderful and completely safe and hygienic. Safer than many a restaurant in the western world.

In SIN I tend to avoid anything with the word "Quay " in it. I.e. Clarke quay or Boat Quay.  Mayor tourist trap!

BTW, there is more than one food area.

There is no more street food, as they could not find them to do inspections.  So the gov made them move into the food markets.  Newton Food Court is the seafood one.

Chili crab is OUTSTANDING.

2 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Ooohhh, Singapore chilli crab! A must-dry! With lots of steamed buns to mop up the sauce!!! Definately not First Date food! Wear old t-shirts.

Yeap.

There is a REASON that there are handwashing stations around the eating area. 😄

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 8:08 AM, SRF said:

Singapore is not the best tourist town.

Walking and shopping in the Chinatown area is fun.  For high end shopping there is Orchard Street.

Hong Kong is probably my favorite city in the world.  Shopping, of course.  If you want a GOOD tailor, let me know.  I have been using one for over 30 years.

😄

In Singapore, make a trip to Newton Food Court.  What they did, is to control the food vendors, instead of food carts, they have these food courts, where there many small stalls.  They will bring out menus and serve you.  Chili Crab is a must do in Singapore.

• 4 weeks later...

I've booked the Marina Bay Sands just for the once in a life time experience of swimming in its unique pool. You have to be a guest at the hotel, no day passes. Expensive, but well worth it.

HK - Holiday Inn Golden Mile for the location - bus A21 from the airport stops right in front the hotel -- very convenient and cheap travelling on the double decker 😁.

28 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Expensive, but well worth it.

That is debatable 😉

we have stayed at the MBS. Yes, it was nice but it is also mass processing. No personal touch at all. The pool area can be a nightmare and you have to swim through a forest of selfie sticks.

We wouldn’t do it again.

Another time we stayed at the Andaz Singapore - which was fabulous. 

The rooftop infinity pool is nice and quiet, the service is personal and amazing, their rooftop bar offers beautiful views and hotel guest enjoy a happy hour with free wine etc.

We just booked the hotel again for February.

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

That is debatable 😉

we have stayed at the MBS. Yes, it was nice but it is also mass processing. No personal touch at all. The pool area can be a nightmare and you have to swim through a forest of selfie sticks.

Of course.

As for me, I knew that I'm not going to visit Singapore another time.

Having my picture taken in the morning and at night in such an amazing pool was well worth the huge financial effort to pay more than 450$ a night for the cheapest room (booked with a "special offer" one year ahead...).

Creating memories 😁

On 2/3/2019 at 4:35 AM, portnum said:

Thanks!

Hi Portnum.

Here's a link to my review of our time in Hong Kong...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/12/01/one-way-to-do-hong-kong/

Hope you find it useful.

1419891386_RBatSkyTerrace428.thumb.jpg.c16cbed6d147a0dfd4e71160df2943f2.jpg

The rooftop infinity pool is nice and quiet, the service is personal and amazing, their rooftop bar offers beautiful views and hotel guest enjoy a happy hour with free wine etc.

I have reservations here for October. Did you find the location walkable to the Harbor or did you take other transportation? And how did you get to the airport from the Andaz? Thinking about switching to the Swisshotel The Stanford - newly renovated and closer in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/27/2019 at 8:30 PM, JenZ said:

I have reservations here for October. Did you find the location walkable to the Harbor or did you take other transportation? And how did you get to the airport from the Andaz? Thinking about switching to the Swisshotel The Stanford - newly renovated and closer in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Andaz is just a year old and fabulous. Beats the Swisshotel by far!

You can’t walk to the port from any hotel. Take a taxi, very inexpensive in Singapore.

Another option is the MRT. The Andaz has a private entrance to the Bugis MRT station. 

You can also take an MRT to the airport. Uber is also an option for around 20 USD.