Transatlantic on Britannia

mrsroller180

My hubby and I are looking to do a caribbean cruise sailing from Southampton and returning from Barbados by air. Ive seen a very reasonably priced one on Brittannia leaving 26th October this year. Has anyone done this sort of cruise as most seem to fly to Barbados and cruise home. We have been on Arcadia twice but I really fancy Brittannia as I like a larger ship. My question is how is the crossing at that time of year (going via Madeira), rocky wise and weather?  Any other suggestions as to best deck or cabins ?

Thanking you in anticipation

Kath

The only downside is that the flight home is overnight. The sea state should normally be reasonably calm but you can get storms at any time of the year. A large ship like Brittania will handle it well. If you want to fly out (daytime flight) and sail back you need to do this in March.

Brian

We  repositioned in November 2017 and the weather was cool the first 2 days then gradually got warmer the closer we got to the Caribbean. The sea was very calm on that occasion. However we cruised from the UK in early November last year and the first 4 days until we reached the Azores were the roughest we have experienced in over 40 cruises. We were on a very small ship (Marco Polo) and we were at the very back of the ship quite high up.  Britannia would have handled the swell and waves better. You are also sailing further south to get to Madeira.

The best cabins for stability are bottom middle or the nearest you can get. I suggest you take seasick tablets (we use Stugeron) and have tried several others. These repositioning cruises are very good value, we did our first many years ago in preparation for retirement and taking longer round trip cruises from Southampton, of which we have done 3 with 2 more this year. We love the crossings and find it very relaxing. My advice would be to go for it and enjoy. If you don't try you will never know.

Thank you so much everyone. We cant go in March so end of this year it will be. To be honest we have been to Las Vegas 10 times and it is always an overnight flight back. We will just have to get a good nights sleep on our last night. Is there any chance of upgrading the flight home for more comfort do you think?

2 hours ago, mrsroller180 said:

My hubby and I are looking to do a caribbean cruise sailing from Southampton and returning from Barbados by air. Ive seen a very reasonably priced one on Brittannia leaving 26th October this year. Has anyone done this sort of cruise as most seem to fly to Barbados and cruise home. We have been on Arcadia twice but I really fancy Brittannia as I like a larger ship. My question is how is the crossing at that time of year (going via Madeira), rocky wise and weather?  Any other suggestions as to best deck or cabins ?

Kath

With regards to the cabins on Britannia, we have stayed in G407 a few times and love it. Mid ship and low down, so less movement and cheaper as supposedly restricted view, but it isn't... It is above a smoking area by the Java coffee shop, but we can honestly say we have never smelt anything and never been disturbed by noise. It also has a sofa.

The cabins around it and on the opposite side look similar, so might be worth looking at them also as the ones opposite are not above a smoking area. 

You can see the lifeboats by looking left or right, but no real restriction on your balcony as they are not that close.

Have a fantastic time,

Andy

We travelled on the same TA cruise in Oct 18, on Britannia

Sea wise it was pretty flat, we had very slight rolling for a few hours around the bay of Biscay. But otherwise pretty much nothing of note.

Weather wise I'd say it was cool on deck for the first two days, but once level with Portugal it warmed up to about 20 degrees, was warm across the Atlantic for sunbathing and being on deck. The Caribbean was humid, and more showery than I expected, we certainly got a lot of very overcast mornings.

We were midships towards aft on F deck (F308), I'd personally say when sitting down on the balcony, the lifeboats below didn't spoil the view but were a slight annoyance. Wish we'd been on E deck a little bit higher, but the lifts and stairs in that area were useful. If you are true midships you don't have the option of a staircase.

We were towards the middle of the dreamliner row 31, the loos being 2 rows in front of us it was annoying with the loos being in such close proximity on a night flight. I'd go further back a couple of rows. Seat pitch and leg room were pretty good, and personally I'm not sure worth the upgrade.

hth

Edited by amfc_lenny

Thanks amfc that is very useful. Can I ask what you found to do in Barbados whilst waiting for the flight and was there anywhere to put your hand luggage i.e.lockers?  Another thing we have to think about is the fact we will be leaving from Southampton but coming back into London. Normally sailing from Southampton is great as we only live in Cornwall so its 3 hours up the road.

You have been most helpful thanks you.

Kath

We did a 15 day cruise so 2 days in Barbados. Day 1 we went into Kingston to soak up the feel of the town. Day 2 we did the p and o farewell to Barbados tour, as it gave a trip round the island sightseeing and could take our handlugg age with us being dropped off at the airport.

We've done the TA on Britannia 3 times (4th this October). We have been forward on  F deck and astern on A deck . Have been lucky and never felt much movement and as others have said it warms up after a couple of days at sea. We did have one bad TA on Adonia and a choppy day or so on Ventura. You can never be sure when crossing the Atlantic though. As regards to the last Day in Barbados you are out of your cabin by 8.00 but you can leave your cabin bags in the theatre if you want to go walkabout. I would recommend taking the extra day in Barbados if its an option. As regards to flying Back to Gatwick You can park at the airport and get the courtesy coach down to Southampton, but remember to book it though. Might see you on board

Done this trip twice in the past few years and wouldn't add much to what has already been fully covered. We had an aft cabin on both occasions which is great for watching the wake of the ship on your balcony only downside is if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction soot with often appear on the balcony. The large number of sea days can be boring to some and we tended to do mostly our own thing whilst ashore. Didn't enjoy the ship shore excursion we did in Madeira to a hotel for afternoon tea as you are treated a bit like second class citizens by the hotel staff. We upgraded to premium economy on the overnight flight home which ioho was worth every penny, but each to their own. 

On 2/3/2019 at 3:50 PM, mrsroller180 said:

Kath

Hi Kath. 

We did the Transatlantic from Barbados back to the UK back in March 2016.  We enjoyed it but there is a downside going west to east. The ship sets off from a time zone 4 hours behind the UK and during the cruise the clocks went forward to BST. So out of the 12 days you have 5 days that are 23 hour days. Something I hadn't thought of but should have. It's tiring and throws your body clock out you stay up until 1am and it turns into 2am. We really want to try it going the other way from Southampton to Barbados 25 hour days. Stay up until 2am. And it turns into 1 am. 😂😂

16 hours ago, mygo1999 said:

Hi Kath. 

We did the Transatlantic from Barbados back to the UK back in March 2016.  We enjoyed it but there is a downside going west to east. The ship sets off from a time zone 4 hours behind the UK and during the cruise the clocks went forward to BST. So out of the 12 days you have 5 days that are 23 hour days. Something I hadn't thought of but should have. It's tiring and throws your body clock out you stay up until 1am and it turns into 2am. We really want to try it going the other way from Southampton to Barbados 25 hour days. Stay up until 2am. And it turns into 1 am. 😂😂

When we did a Caribbean round trip, when travelling west to east, the clocks were out forward an hour during the day, not during the night. This meant that the crew did not have one hour less in bed. 

We did the outward transatlantic on Azura in 2016. The sea was actually quite calm except for one slightly rocky day around the Azores, where we also got stuck for an extra day due to engine problems! Once clear of the Azores, the weather just got better and better and it was flat calm. The clocks going back every night until we reached the Caribbean was restful; I would not have liked it the other way round!

The flight home, while on time, was evil and I wouldn't want to repeat it on the aircraft used; i believe if you get a Dreamliner it's much nicer but we didn't. And arriving in Manchester at 5.30 am, to be told in a gleeful voice by an evil little man that there were no trains until 9am, but we could get a bus half way home that would take 5 hours; well how he survived with his life intact I do not know, and there certainly would have been murder done if I had not had relatives in Manchester!

If I ever do transatlantic with P and O again. I'll sail both ways.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:19 PM, mygo1999 said:

Hi Kath. 

I must admit that we prefer the TA from Southampton for this reason, have done it twice, once they changed the time at lunch and once they changed at night . Although you have to accept the night flight back !!

We are doing it again this year but the 3 week version this time.

Edited by bee-ess

• 4 weeks later...

A big thanks to everyone that helped me on this topic. I can confirm we have booked the trip on 25th October, flying back from Barbados 9th November (we did the 15 day). I have already upgraded to premium economy on the flight to give us some extra legroom but of course actual seats not yet booked. We are in C 516 which is about the best mid ship that was still available.

Just a couple of extra questions. We are going to leave the car at Gatwick and get the courtesy bus to Southampton - how does that work, will we get info nearer the time?   Secondly what sort of weather can we expect in the caribbean late october early november is it going to rain a lot!! ?

Thanks again everyone, you convinced me to book and think we got a good deal.

Looking forward to it already.

Kath

2 hours ago, mrsroller180 said:

Secondly what sort of weather can we expect in the caribbean late october early november is it going to rain a lot!! ?

We did the same in 2018, and experienced humid conditions upto late 20 degrees in the day and cooling off in the evening by 6pm. Must admit the amount of morning cloud/ haze surprised me. At most of the Islands we had the odd rain shower throughout the day, though these seemed to last for only an hour at most then die off.

hth