Convincing people to cruise

lenquixote66

On February 3, 2019 at 11:07 AM, lenquixote66 said:

We have friends who have no desire to cruise.We have tried to convince them but nothing has worked.How would you convince people to try cruising ?

On February 3, 2019 at 11:07 AM, lenquixote66 said:

We have friends who have no desire to cruise.We have tried to convince them but nothing has worked.How would you convince people to try cruising ?

In error I used the wrong word .It should not have been convinced.That makes it seem as only my point of view is correct.Let me attempt to clarify my original post.

My friends live in Manhattan. They travel all over the world and have done so by bus ,train,plane but have never been on a cruise.

I just thought that this is something they might enjoy .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

In error I used the wrong word .It should not have been convinced.That makes it seem as only my point of view is correct.Let me attempt to clarify my original post.

My friends live in Manhattan. They travel all over the world and have done so by bus ,train,plane but have never been on a cruise.

I just thought that this is something they might enjoy .

Right.

And you suggested it to them, in case they were unaware of cruising as a travel option.  (That is, by the way, rather unlikely for well-traveled people, especially those who have a friend [you] who cruises a lot.)

And then, it's UP TO THEM.

FULL STOP.

What do you not understand about this?

GC

14 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Right.

And you suggested it to them, in case they were unaware of cruising as a travel option.  (That is, by the way, rather unlikely for well-traveled people, especially those who have a friend [you] who cruises a lot.)

And then, it's UP TO THEM.

FULL STOP.

What do you not understand about this?

GC

I totally agree.It is up to them. They are close to 80 years in age. I just think that a relaxing  cruise would be something nice. However,I understand that not everyone is into cruising.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I totally agree.It is up to them. They are close to 80 years in age. I just think that a relaxing  cruise would be something nice. However,I understand that not everyone is into cruising.

Well, then...

Why all the arguing about how can you "convince them" (regardless of whether you use the word "convince" or not), after you clearly mentioned it to them as a possibility, and then... they declined to do it.

??

GC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

This may sound odd since I am posting on a cruise website (though, to be fair, I usually stick to the Cruise Air portion because I am a frequent flier, not a frequent cruiser), but I am still not sold on cruises. The first one I went on, I went in with too high of expectations and really disliked it. The second time, I went in with low expectations and enjoyed it a lot more. But I may or may not ever go on another cruise.

Our stories are not dissimilar.  My first cruise was at the behest of friends and family.  Our Caribbean cruise was not much fun and for the price I would have much preferred an all-inclusive resort. 

Years later my wife wanted to give one a try and instead of refusing I put certain conditions including a smaller ship and a destination we'd otherwise would or could not go to.  The destination made the cruise tolerable but I didn't certainly didn't enjoy the typical cruise trappings and still don't.

Cruises are okay if they make sense but only if there is not another more appealing way to get there. 

10 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Well, then...

Why all the arguing about how can you "convince them" (regardless of whether you use the word "convince" or not), after you clearly mentioned it to them as a possibility, and then... they declined to do it.

??

GC

I have an illness for which there is no cure.I am severely limited in do anything not just traveling.I would like my friends to have an opportunity to do things that I can no longer do.I suggested a cruise .If they desire not to do it that is fine but at least I tried. 

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Then what was the point of this thread?  Once you accept that they aren't into cruising that should be an end to it.  And your infirmities really have nothing to do with it.  It almost sounds as if you think they owe it to you to accommodate your infirmities by doing something they do not want to do.

Live your life the way you want and let them live their lives the way they want.

4 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Then what was the point of this thread?  Once you accept that they aren't into cruising that should be an end to it.  And your infirmities really have nothing to do with it.  It almost sounds as if you think they owe it to you to accommodate your infirmities by doing something they do not want to do.

Live your life the way you want and let them live their lives the way they want.

I can no longer live the life I want. I want my friends and family to derive pleasure from living and doing things enjoyable. If that is wrong ,so be it.

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

I can no longer live the life I want. I want my friends and family to derive pleasure from living and doing things enjoyable. If that is wrong ,so be it.

No.

You are trying to convince (yes, *convince*) them to do things that YOU want to do, or that YOU wish you could do.

And you mentioned it.

Fine.

THEN STOP IT, for goodness sake!

Really, what IS the point of your carrying on about this, with us, or, especially, with those unfortunate friends of yours!?

GC

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

No, you want your friends to derive pleasure from living and doing things YOU enjoy even after you were told they didn't want to cruise

And yes, that is wrong. 

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have an illness for which there is no cure.I am severely limited in do anything not just traveling.I would like my friends to have an opportunity to do things that I can no longer do.I suggested a cruise .If they desire not to do it that is fine but at least I tried. 

LEN, my heartfelt sympathy for the difficulties you face daily. DH and i have a precious in-law who is suffering with Lou Gehrig's disease; his struggle is also torment for those who love him.) I pray God's comfort, peace, daily presence for you, whatever you face each day. (For He Himself is our peace, Eph. 2:14) I don't think we can truly understand without 'walking in your shoes.' I love that you can cruise and hope DH and i can meet up with you on a ship one day☺. Have you posted a cruise report on the disabled cruisers forum? (There is software to turn dictated text into typed text.)

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I feel sorry for all of you who believe I am wrong for trying to add pleasure to a persons life.

Life is short,embrace it.

I feel sorry for people who are so self-centered they will not respect another person's view point. 

Your friends have told you they don't want to cruise instead of accepting their position you are here trying to find a way to convince them otherwise. 

Your friends may well have chosen to "embrace life" just not the way you want them to.  

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I would like my friends to have an opportunity to do things that I can no longer do.I suggested a cruise .If they desire not to do it that is fine but at least I tried. 

I think you finally get it. Good on you. You asked, they said NO. End of story.

Edited by sfaaa

LEN, I am sorry you can no longer do many of the things you enjoy. I know, to a degree, how difficult that is 😞 Can you not take pleasure from seeing your friends do things they do enjoy as they clearly don't want to cruise?

4 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

LEN, my heartfelt sympathy for the difficulties you face daily. DH and i have a precious in-law who is suffering with Lou Gehrig's disease; his struggle is also torment for those who love him.) I pray God's comfort, peace, daily presence for you, whatever you face each day. (For He Himself is our peace, Eph. 2:14) I don't think we can truly understand without 'walking in your shoes.' I love that you can cruise and hope DH and i can meet up with you on a ship one day☺. Have you posted a cruise report on the disabled cruisers forum? (There is software to turn dictated text into typed text.)

Thank you very much ,I truly appreciate it.I too have a relative suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease I know how that affects you and your loved ones.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I'm going to take a different road here; after reading what you wrote, I can understand why you would like to convince your friends to take a cruise.  Cruising obviously brought you great joy and memories over the years, and you would like for them to have similar experiences.  Unfortunately, cruising is not for everyone, and your friends are happy taking vacations of a different kind. 

Keep your cruise memories close, remembering the people and places you've met and seen, and enjoy your days ahead to the best of your ability.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I feel sorry for all of you who believe I am wrong for trying to add pleasure to a persons life.

Life is short,embrace it.

No, we think you are wrong because you are treating your friends as too stupid to make their own choices, and yourself as the fount of all wisdom about their life.  Good intentions do not excuse bad actions, and continuing to pursue this with them after they have said they aren't interested is a bad action.  And, frankly, the fact that you have infirmities neither justifies nor excuses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

You are trying to convince them to do things that YOU think are enjoyable and doable.  Maybe they don't think that it would be enjoyable for them.  Just drop it and leave them alone or you will lose a long time friend.

DON

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I am blessed to have more friends than anyone I know and have yet to lose a friendship over a difference of an opinion.

The "issue" is NOT simply a "difference of opinion".

It's your apparent pressuring them after they have already heard your recommendation, and expressed their lack of interest in doing "that".

And we all have quite a good sense of that "pressure", from your relentlessness here, too.

Your friends must be very special indeed...

GC

On February 3, 2019 at 12:42 PM, cb at sea said:

The more you "talk it up", if they do go, the less of a good time they will have.  What is so awesome and fun to YOU, may very well not be, to them.  I've found, the more you tell people about an experience, the less they find it to be so.

If they want to cruise, they will.

Maybe it is your way of describing the experience that puts people off.  I've found that sharing our cruising experiences makes people more interested in cruising.  No one want to go into a new situation knowing nothing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rala said:

Maybe it is your way of describing the experience that puts people off.  I've found that sharing our cruising experiences makes people more interested in cruising.  No one want to go into a new situation knowing nothing.

OR, as I suggested earlier, WHAT Is being described. The range of cruise qualities and experiences is nothing less than HUGE. 

We have dear friends -some of whom we travel with in part because we prefer/expect the same quality of accommodations/food etc. Others of our friends have different means and likes, which could be a deal breaker for either them or us (regardless of land or sea).