Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

4 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

I suppose you've got your choices to make now.

Clean off the balcony chair, sit on the bed with pillows, go to a public lounge or change cruise lines & give up all the perks you've earned by sailing with Princess.

That really isn't enough of a reason for me to give up my perks but I suppose some on this board think so. It would l be interesting to know how many people do bail out on Princess but we'll never know the real answer.

The answer for me will be to change cruise lines and go to another line I also get perks on, that have two chairs in the cabin. Or if the rate is good, stay with Princess in a cabin that has two chairs.  I need NOT to have back pain.  My back pain can become real bad.  It is not a matter of a little pain, but it could ruin  my cruise.

• Like 2

I am still hoping to hear from those who have had their request for a chair granted.  I have a difficult time believing that Princess would encourage people to ask for a chair onboard if the never had any intention of granting this request.

There still may be enough barrel chairs to distribute amongst the fleet so at least some of that those who want a chair can get one if they get onboard early enough to make the request.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Loreni said:

I am still hoping to hear from those who have had their request for a chair granted.  I have a difficult time believing that Princess would encourage people to ask for a chair onboard if the never had any intention of granting this request.

There still may be enough barrel chairs to distribute amongst the fleet so at least some of that those who want a chair can get one if they get onboard early enough to make the request.

Can you really visualize someone going to the bowels of deck four to lug a chair up to R deck?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, louden said:

Can you really visualize someone going to the bowels of deck four to lug a chair up to R deck?

Like I said IMO once the chairs are removed from the rooms they will be off loaded on every turnaround day until they are all gone. Storage space is gold on a cruise ship so they won't be storing any.

There won't be any loaners etc.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Loreni said:

IF this is the case, there is no way to justify Princess encouraging its passengers to request the chairs when they board.

I rather doubt that there is any chairs for those that have been told to ask.  They tell you that just to get rid of the problem for the moment.  When you get on board and ask you will be told none available.

Just one big circle of trying to appease the stupid customer.  I am sure its not their fault that all the chairs are gone by the time you board.  Never were there in the first place. 

Just another game they play to calm the waters.

27 minutes ago, Loreni said:

IF this is the case, there is no way to justify Princess encouraging its passengers to request the chairs when they board.

This is from Princess phone reps who frequently give out misleading info on a myriad of things.  

Most have never even sailed on a ship let alone a Princess ship.

There has always been a disconnect between Corporate and fleet.

Maybe I missed it somewhere but can someone tell me how Princess is saving money getting rid of the chairs?  I'm sure they were paid for many years ago and are not rentals.  Do you think they are going to re-sell them?

3 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Maybe I missed it somewhere but can someone tell me how Princess is saving money getting rid of the chairs?  I'm sure they were paid for many years ago and are not rentals.  Do you think they are going to re-sell them?

Swartz is out at the auction right now trying to sell quickley.

1 hour ago, Loreni said:

Even if someone DOES get chairs, they may not be Cruise Critic members

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just got off of Regal Princess this AM.  We did have two chairs in our balcony cabin.

It was there and I did not have to ask for it.  

Now, I need to see if this is because Princess did change their mind, or they have not removed them from the Regal as of yet.

Once the chairs are gone, so am I.  Unless the price is right for a cabin with two seats in it.

Also I did get the phone call from Princess about the chairs, before the cruise and I did tell them what I thought about it.  I let them know how unhappy I was about the cahir being removed.

Edited by geocruiser
add info
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I just got off of Regal Princess this AM.  We did have two chairs in our balcony cabin.

Now, I need to see if this is because Princess did change their mind, or they have not removed them from the Regal as of yet.

Once the chairs are gone, so am I.  Unless the price is right for a cabin with two seats in it.

👍

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

Dry cleaning of the chairs costs money. Room stewards have to move the chairs to clean.  If people are forced out of their rooms, they may buy something. 

If I cant get a chair, I will repay Princess by not buying anything on board. 

Edited by oskidunker

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

46 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Dry cleaning of the chairs costs money. Room stewards have to move the chairs to clean.  If people are forced out of their rooms, they may buy something. 

Besides cleaning chairs as they get soiled, as chairs get worn they require additional repairs & refurbishment including being reupholstered.  Eventually they’ll need to be replaced & by removing them now without replacing them that saves Princess money in maintenance & by not purchasing new chairs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Like I said IMO once the chairs are removed from the rooms they will be off loaded on every turnaround day until they are all gone. Storage space is gold on a cruise ship so they won't be storing any.

There won't be any loaners etc.

This mirrors my feelings on the subject. We are not happy about the situation with the chairs but are resolved to the fact that they are almost certainly gone for good. There is no way the old chairs are being stored onboard the ships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pstcrik said:

Swartz is out at the auction right now trying to sell quickley.

One can only guess, but, saw something earlier . . . think how much one chair weighs . . .multiply that by the number of chairs equals significant weight loss - equals fuel savings due lighter boat. (And fuel costs have to be right up there in costs)

Could it be Corporate (ie: Carnival) is putting the Squeeze on for more profit?  Or is it just Princess?

The bottom line (ie: $$) is usually behind such actions . . . despite what the Marketing/sales say . . IMHO

What I’ve found compelling whilst reading this thread is that while some CC members have stated that they will not book another cruise as a result of this policy, there has not been one instance where a CC member has stated that “I’m not going to book another cruise on Princess until they remove that bleedin useless chair in the cabin”  Seems like Princess is on a hiding to nothing here.

Like some others, I suspect that Princess has an ulterior motive in play here. Whether it be cost saving, or making cabins more uncomfortable, so that passengers venture out of their cabin more, but what I’m afraid of is that I head down to Crooners to “quench my thirst” mid afternoon, only to find that there are no seats available as other guests have to camp out there to get a proper seat. Lost revenue? Well not really as I typically have the PBP. Say What? That’s another win for Princess if I can’t get into a bar to “spend it”!

2 hours ago, mar2dav0 said:

One can only guess, but, saw something earlier . . . think how much one chair weighs . . .multiply that by the number of chairs equals significant weight loss - equals fuel savings due lighter boat. (And fuel costs have to be right up there in costs)

You know what else can lower the weight on the ship and thus save more fuel?  Less passengers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This whole subject has got us thinking.  We are really looking forward to our Alaska cruise in May, but we are looking at.Celebrity for 2020.  Sitting in the room won’t be a problem and look at all the awards Celebrity has gotten!

9 hours ago, oskidunker said:

If I cant get a chair, I will repay Princess by not buying anything on board. 

The only problem for us is that we spend next to nothing now for our purchases. 

Maybe we can go to the buffet and at least take up space sitting down.

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Also I did get the phone call from Princess about the chairs, before the cruise and I did tell them what I thought about it.  I let them know how unhappy I was about the cahir being removed.

During my return phone call from the Princess rep, she told me that they were in the process of removing the chairs from the Regal but not all were gone.  She thought some would be onboard for my April cruise.  Glad you got one geocruiser and thanks for reporting.