Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

6 hours ago, Belle said:

AS far as I know, since mini suite is bigger.  I think they  will still have

sofa, coffee table and a chair. As I remember the chair in mini

suite wasn't the barrel one but a chair with arms.

Thanks.  We eat room service breakfast, every morning, and the table and chair help to make this a pleasant experience.  I enjoy gazing out at the ocean, while eating breakfast.

i am hoping they have not removed tables and chairs from full suites, also.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

We will be on the Crown Tuesday, in a balcony cabin. If the chair is not there, I will be down at Passenger Services having a discussion. The room photo on the website for the Crown page clearly shows a barrel chair and table, and that is what I expect.

You will not triumph, your complaints to Passenger Services will fall on the ears of those who can do nothing for you and will delay those who have legitimate business. Make your displeasure known on the post-cruise survey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2019 at 10:16 AM, johnatsis said:

Just on the Ruby Princess in a balcony room and noticed the small barrel chair was missing from the room - all you have to sit on is the awful little desk/makeup chair. I asked customer service about the removal and they said they removed the chairs to give you more space... I told them if they removed the beds we would have lots of room!

My wife is a little upset about no chair to sit and read her book - Thoughts...

Yes.  Why not upgrade to a mini-suite or above?

Good luck.  And enjoy.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I think this is a mis-step by Princess. Their cabins below a Mini-Suite (or Deluxe Balcony on the newer ships) were already deficient in seating compared to other lines. In my opinion, every cabin should have places for two adults to sit that are not the bed!

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, Cindy said:

I think this is a mis-step by Princess. Their cabins below a Mini-Suite (or Deluxe Balcony on the newer ships) were already deficient in seating compared to other lines. In my opinion, every cabin should have places for two adults to sit that are not the bed!

I agree!

• Like 3

I agree, every room should have 2 chairs of some description to sit on, not just on the bed - whether to read, have a drink, eat breakfast, etc.  The coffee table is about the only place to set down a tray as the desk is often filled with personal items, flyers, etc.  We like to enjoy our room to relax and both need a place to sit down.  I do hope all those chairs and tables haven't disappeared.

• Like 4

Just off the Royal and no bucket chair in our regular balcony cabin.  We asked our cabin steward if we could get one, and we had a chair within about 10 minutes.  The small table was in our closet.  

On 2/3/2019 at 10:16 AM, johnatsis said:

Just on the Ruby Princess in a balcony room and noticed the small barrel chair was missing from the room - all you have to sit on is the awful little desk/makeup chair. I asked customer service about the removal and they said they removed the chairs to give you more space... I told them if they removed the beds we would have lots of room!

My wife is a little upset about no chair to sit and read her book - Thoughts...

On our last B2B in December the chairs were gone and we were told they are phasing them out. When I walked by an open room one day, I did see the round chair.

Penny

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Good luck.  And enjoy.

King

That's kind of useless.  One shouldn't have to pay that sort of upgrade fee just to have a chair to sit in.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Good luck.  And enjoy.

King

I can tell you I thought the mini suite we had on my first cruise was a ridiculous waste of money for us.  NOT to say it is a waste for everyone.   If that makes you happy, fine.  But not everyone has lots of disposable money to use for that sort of thing.  I was extremely happy on our last cruise, in an inside cabin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rocking Waves said:

I agree, every room should have 2 chairs of some description to sit on, not just on the bed - whether to read, have a drink, eat breakfast, etc.  The coffee table is about the only place to set down a tray as the desk is often filled with personal items, flyers, etc.  We like to enjoy our room to relax and both need a place to sit down.  I do hope all those chairs and tables haven't disappeared.

You are so right.....who comes up with these ridiculous ideas at Princess....we do a lot of long cruises and I cannot imagine in bad weather everyone looking for a place to sit around the ship who do not just want to lay on their beds to be in their cabins.....even the cheapest hotels/motels have chairs in the room.....just more of Princess racing to the bottom...

• Like 4

Just now, stoneharborlady said:

I can tell you I thought the mini suite we had on my first cruise was a ridiculous waste of money for us.  NOT to say it is a waste for everyone.   If that makes you happy, fine.  But not everyone has lots of disposable money to use for that sort of thing.  I was extremely happy on our last cruise, in an inside cabin.

But the OP wants a chair in his balcony stateroom.  Maybe he can justify the small cost moving up to a mini-suite, which I believe has that extra chair or sofa.  And for his wife to comfortably read in the room.

For me,  I never book an inside stateroom.    Too dark a.m. and p.m.  Too claustrophobic for me.   YMMV.

So its balcony and up.  :classic_smile:Always. 

King

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

WALDT

Life is about choices!

7 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

But the OP wants a chair in his balcony stateroom.  Maybe he can justify the small cost moving up to a mini-suite, which I believe has that extra chair or sofa.  And for his wife to comfortably read in the room.

For me,  I never book an inside stateroom.    Too dark a.m. and p.m.  Too claustrophobic for me.   YMMV.

So its balcony and up.  :classic_smile:Always. 

King

I am very happy for you.  But for many of us, an inside is perfectly fine. I found it to be not at all claustrophobic.   But I would also like the chair that it had originally, as it isnt comfy to eat room service, should it come, on the bed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

That's kind of useless.  One shouldn't have to pay that sort of upgrade fee just to have a chair to sit in.

Eventually you will have no choice on Princess.

Might have to  move up to a mini-suite or above ,  or might need to find a cruise line that has that elusive chair in their cabins.

I also sail on Celebrity.  Standard balcony stateroom.  Has a sofa.  About the same cost of a standard  balcony stateroom on Princess.

Good luck.  Enjoy your cruise.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bemis12 said:

One shouldn't have to pay that sort of upgrade fee just to have a chair to sit in.

I agree 100% with this, but perhaps this is why Princess is making us suffer in the lower category cabins, so we will upgrade to a better category that meets our comfort needs.  Think about this too.  If it is uncomfortable to eat/lounge/relax, "just be" in our cabin are they thinking we may go out and about and find opportunities to spend money?

Somehow I think this move is all about money. 

I first encountered this on the Crown this past October and made a good case/complaint on the post cruise survey in addition to complaining to the hotel manager.  What a waste all that was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Good luck.  And enjoy.

King

Because not everyone can afford a mini suite or above? Or sees the value in it? 

I think the "gives you more room" explanation is an excuse. This furniture is getting worn and either needs to be refinished/recovered/replaced and that costs $$$. This is a classic bean counter move. 

Princess shows the chair and table in their advertising. I don't care how many "disclaimers" they have in small print, if they show it as a typical amenity, then that's what people expect.

And I will complain if there is no chair in the cabin. Maybe CS can't do anything about it, but if no one says anything, where does it end? 

But I also am not going to obsess over it either. We will enjoy our cruise.

I have a hard time understanding how a 2 person cabin has only 1 chair.   Are they supposed to take turns?   I really enjoy the inside cabin and I spend 50% of my time in my cabin.    I'm not spending $3000 more to get a sofa.   Unless there is something extremely impressive about Princess, this could be my first and last trip with them.   I'll go back to a line with a sofa in the inside cabin.  

• Like 2

coupeb..Your one of the lucky ones. As I said before was in room for 25 days, (doesn't matter if 7 or 25 + days)

said I needed a chair. RS tried a few times. No deal. Told him they were all

gone off ship. That's why brought in chair from balcony. RS said he was going to pass that

to new people coming on if ask for chair. Better than nothing.

Same with tables in insides. No more. There's nothing to use instead.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, southerngoose said:

I have a hard time understanding how a 2 person cabin has only 1 chair.   Are they supposed to take turns?   I really enjoy the inside cabin and I spend 50% of my time in my cabin.    I'm not spending $3000 more to get a sofa.   Unless there is something extremely impressive about Princess, this could be my first and last trip with them.   I'll go back to a line with a sofa in the inside cabin.  

Just curious, what cruise lines that you sailed on have a sofa in an inside cabin?

King

1 minute ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Just curious, what cruise lines that you sailed on have a sofa in an inside cabin?

King

Royal Caribbean has my beloved sofa that I sat on EVERY DAY.    It's more of a small "love seat", nevertheless, I never had to have furniture removed because there was always plenty of room.   I'm now getting scared because this princess room must be tiny.

• Like 1

I agree with the previous posters who complained about the missing cabin chair.  The longer the cruise, the more of an issue this becomes.  It could be a cost-cutting move or an attempt to spur people to book higher cost cabins.  Either way, I think it's a mis-step by Princess.

Maybe in the future they will issue inflatable chairs at check-in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1