Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

So, I took an upgrade offer to a balcony so that I could at least have physical space to set up my blow up furniture at a bargain price.   I asked if my room would come with a barrel chair, as pictured.   He was very careful to say "yes, you will get an additional chair".   "Additional" to me, means more than the desk chair.   I don't know if that means the one on the balcony or what.   I suppose we'll find out when I'm on the ship.  

I knew the balcony would be a gamble because it's Alaska and it'll be cold.   But for the price they were charging, it was worth trying it out once and see if it would be worth doing again.

24 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Good point in doing price comparisons between lines.  I was looking at Celebrity...comparing balcony cost to Princess and Princess seems less expensive.  But if a place to sit is needed in the cabin, then I should really be comparing Princess mini suite to Celebrity balcony rooms.  

It depends on which cruises you are pricing. We booked Japan 2021 with X. Based on per day pricing on 2020 itineraries with Princess, our per day price was around $50 a day, per person, cheaper for a balcony, and that is with free gratuities and a classic beverage package. I also booked a 10 day Caribbean through X and felt when I added perks and such and compared totals on both lines, they came out almost the same. Both were booked with refundable deposits. Prices, perks and sales for both lines are constantly changing. Timing might be a factor when comparing the prices in the two lines.

That said, I don't intend to cancel the two I have booked with Princess. I simply want to know what else is out there and if I can get an experience that I would like as much, or more, than Princess, WITH a chair. Princess has given me the reason to look elsewhere. I don't know, until I experience X, if it will be a good fit.

I hope Princess rethinks this thing with the chair. It really is not the most well thought out thing they've done. It doesn't matter that much to me though, as I would like to know what other lines have to offer.

If I don't like X, I 'might' try a river cruise. I won't know until I get that far.

For the record, I think I'll miss the ottomans on the balconies even more than the inside chair. *sigh* Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be getting those on X either. I've got to think of a makeshift for those ottomans. 

I'm not sailing X to teach Princess a lesson, (though I let them know in my email that I've chosen to do so), I'm sailing X because Princess has encouraged me to look elsewhere, and I already found a better Japan itinerary at a better overall price per day. Frankly, they did me a favor!

A previous post mentioned that a Princess contact suggested asking the room steward for a chair.  Just thinking out loud.  What if you all requested the barrel or arm chairs as part  of the booking process.   Kind of like a special need.  Not sure how Princess might respond, but suspect they would try to avoid saying no.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

A previous post mentioned that a Princess contact suggested asking the room steward for a chair.  Just thinking out loud.  What if you all requested the barrel or arm chairs as part  of the booking process.   Kind of like a special need.  Not sure how Princess might respond, but suspect they would try to avoid saying no.   

There is no place to ask for it.  Right now I am in PT and need one more than ever.

2 hours ago, omc329 said:

It depends on which cruises you are pricing. We booked Japan 2021 with X. Based on per day pricing on 2020 itineraries with Princess, our per day price was around $50 a day, per person, cheaper for a balcony, and that is with free gratuities and a classic beverage package. I also booked a 10 day Caribbean through X and felt when I added perks and such and compared totals on both lines, they came out almost the same. Both were booked with refundable deposits. Prices, perks and sales for both lines are constantly changing. Timing might be a factor when comparing the prices in the two lines.

That said, I don't intend to cancel the two I have booked with Princess. I simply want to know what else is out there and if I can get an experience that I would like as much, or more, than Princess, WITH a chair. Princess has given me the reason to look elsewhere. I don't know, until I experience X, if it will be a good fit.

I hope Princess rethinks this thing with the chair. It really is not the most well thought out thing they've done. It doesn't matter that much to me though, as I would like to know what other lines have to offer.

If I don't like X, I 'might' try a river cruise. I won't know until I get that far.

For the record, I think I'll miss the ottomans on the balconies even more than the inside chair. *sigh* Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be getting those on X either. I've got to think of a makeshift for those ottomans. 

I'm not sailing X to teach Princess a lesson, (though I let them know in my email that I've chosen to do so), I'm sailing X because Princess has encouraged me to look elsewhere, and I already found a better Japan itinerary at a better overall price per day. Frankly, they did me a favor!

Great job price comparison shopping!  I should do more of it.  That’s great you found a great price on X.  That is one line I am curious to try.  I think it would provide an experience to Princes (but with a sofa/chair in cabin).

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

The chairs are gone. As stated earlier in the thread Princess most likely won't buy new ones.

More misinformation by Princess CSR's.  🙄

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

All because of a chair?😢

I think people are going to be canceling because they want comfort in their cabins, the option to have more livability for at least two people in the cabin with places to sit, and that Princess is showing a lack of concern/understanding for it's passengers needs.  

I really do not believe their reasons given so far for the removable of chairs.  I have a feeling it is a cost cutting measure only and means that it will take cabin stewards less time to clean a cabin consequently a cut back in cabin stewards.  Also, less maintenance for furniture which means less money they have to spend.

If I can go with another cruise line with the same itinerary, similar price,  couch and or chairs in the cabin then I am sure Princess will be losing some very loyal passengers over this matter.  Chairs in their cabins have never been a problem for all of the many years they have been sailing....why now all of a sudden and unannounced?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Amazon compact chair arriving today. Will advise how practical. Supposed to fit in a suitcase. $14.95.a photo was posted in this thread. Hope it works. Captain Steuben would be shocked. 

I would be shocked too.  No way am I hauling a chair for my cabin.  We use room service onboard, and both deserve a chair to sit in.  If Princess will not provide it, other lines do.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The chairs are gone. As stated earlier in the thread Princess most likely won't buy new ones.

More misinformation by Princess CSR's.  🙄

I was thinking make the request as a special needs before boarding.  

I bet if folks start moving chairs from Crooners or Explorer's lounge they might get the message.  Do it in the wee hours morning when no one is around.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just checked our two booked cruises ~ one a transatlantic and the other around the tip of SA including Antarctica. Two different ships; both balcony cabins. Looked online just now at both cabins pix and they still show the barrel chairs.  Wouldn't you think that if they had thought this through before making this change that they would have re-shot the photos or modified them somehow.  BTW, on these cruises with MANY sea days; we need to have chairs in the room. There simply are not enough places on board a ship at sea for all guests to find a place to sit in public areas....co_bd_balcony_photo_lrg.wdp.jxr  Don't know why I couldn't get the actual photo to post??

23 pages to this thread and counting. Unfortunately, this thread is somewhat like preaching to the choir. We need a way to spread this type of info to a wider audience. Get enough bad publicity out there and Princess will start paying attention.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I was thinking make the request as a special needs before boarding.  

I bet if folks start moving chairs from Crooners or Explorer's lounge they might get the message.  Do it in the wee hours morning when no one is around.  :classic_biggrin:

If you fill out the mobility questionnaire be sure you scan and email as thefax number provided does not work. 

Ask for extra pillows.  I know, it sounds gross.  Sorry about this.  But I use one at home and have to use a pillow to two to fill up the sag.  Then it's barely acceptable.  This is just so unacceptable.  

I have all these visions of passengers dragging ship furniture back to their stateroom.  Quite hilarious.

4 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Because they really don't care about their passengers, especially Elites.

"Absolutely. I’m old and want to be comfortable. "

[Both quotes are from posts by oskidunker]

I've started to wonder (and I'm not into conspiracy theory) if we who are elite & older are at least a sub-text in this chair removal mess.  Many of us who are older do have back/knee issues and need the chair for seated comfort & ease of getting up.  Many of us "olders" are also elite & as such cost PCL a bit extra $$ every time we cruise -- free mini-bar (the cost of the mini + not buying drinks);  internet minutes & laundry.  Certainly, the mini-bar (I exchange for soda & never buy more) & internet minutes are $$ savers for me.  Maybe -- No chairs, fewer older elites?

As an old solo cruiser, I can't afford a balcony (basic or not), but sometimes I splurge on an Obstructed OV. I've really enjoyed sitting (in the tub chair) by the window & eating breakfast or lunch. 

On my next cruise (Aug. 2019), I'll be in an Inside HA cabin for the first time (w/a scooter & my rollator).  The seats on the rollator nor the scooter are good for long-term sitting, but maybe long enough to eat breakfast. I guess on the 9 long sea days, I'll ride my scooter to the back corner of whichever HC is closed & read there if it's too cold on deck.

I'm already looking at other lines for 2020.  :(

P. S. I did post info about the chair removal on 2 Princess sites on FB today.  Some very surprised & unhappy folks there too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

I think people are going to be canceling because they want comfort in their cabins, the option to have more livability for at least two people in the cabin with places to sit, and that Princess is showing a lack of concern/understanding for it's passengers needs.  

I really do not believe their reasons given so far for the removable of chairs.  I have a feeling it is a cost cutting measure only and means that it will take cabin stewards less time to clean a cabin consequently a cut back in cabin stewards.  Also, less maintenance for furniture which means less money they have to spend.

If I can go with another cruise line with the same itinerary, similar price,  couch and or chairs in the cabin then I am sure Princess will be losing some very loyal passengers over this matter.  Chairs in their cabins have never been a problem for all of the many years they have been sailing....why now all of a sudden and unannounced?

I don't buy it either.  My guess is that it is a deliberate attempt to reduce the use of room service.  They can't eliminate room service (it would put them at a competitive disadvantage), but they can make it impractical.

I bet the senior officers and senior staff on the ships still have their 'chairs.'   Perhaps the chair removal policy is a strategy to make pax purchase mini suites which have sofas or deluxe balcony cabins (with a sofa on the Royal Class ships.)

$64,000 question will the barrel/tub chairs be removed from Mini Suites?