Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

I'm not at all happy about the chairs being removed from the cabins!!   We get a balcony cabin and enjoy spending time on our balcony.   We use the barrel chair plus the table when we either order breakfast or even a snack later on in the day.   I'm hoping the we will have the chair and table in our cabin on upcoming cruise>🙃😥

3 hours ago, hpeabody said:

YES 😞  I am on board right now in Santiago, Chile

I am so disappointed that we will not have the 2nd chair on our upcoming cruise on the  Royal. 

So I guess that means if we order room service, my husband and I will have to draw straws on who actually gets to sit in a chair to eat and who will have to eat on the bed...WOW! 

Very frustrating situation!!!!!

Edited by #1Nanna
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Good luck, and hope there is an extra chair, and better mattresses, on your next two Princess cruises.

BTW, why not cruise Carnival again?  Couch, stool, and good bed sounds just perfect?

King

King: the thread is to deal with the chairs being taken away.

Our opinion is take the chair away  and then you have to sit on the bed = wearing out the bed faster.

We are very experienced in dealing with mattress problems on ships. Only had worn out mattress issues on 2 out of 35 cruises. We have dealt with Housekeeping Supervisor and Executive Housekeeper in the past. One mattress was so worn out that the Executive Housekeeper said "This is the worst mattress he had seen in his career." The real problem is that the ships do not carry spare mattresses (or chairs for that matter). Our replacement mattresses are taken from other cabins.

Carnival does not sail to the destinations of our next two cruises: Transatlantic and South Pacific.

• Like 1

We are very displeased with this situation also.  We are traveling with friends in about a month on the Ruby for a 15 day Hawaii.  The Carib balconies are an excellent place to entertain and enjoy sailing from port with our friends.  It will be unacceptable if we need to take turns sitting down - our need to use the bed.  All of the other lines we sail have at least a small love-seat. losing to the single chair is ridicules.  

About the balcony furniture. --- -  We always book a Carib balcony.  My desktop wall paper is of the dinning height balcony table with my notebook PC on it, with the rocks of Cabo in the background.  .  It was my Cabo "office".  It will not be the same if I need to balance the PC on my lap.  

We have three Princess cruises booked and one Celebrity.  We enjoy our cabin - if Princess does not re-think these new directions - we are likely to look elsewhere.  (We were on the Eurodam in January and it was fantastic)  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, caribill said:

To be consistent, Princess needs to remove the sales tables from the walkways in order to "provide more living space" in those areas.

This thread has finally run out of relevant content.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It had to cost Princess money to remove these chairs.  It would have been less expensive to do nothing.

Is it possible they were actually telling the truth that it is for safety reasons?  Did someone fall and sue Princess?

Initially, I dismissed this thought, but as I study other cruiseline cabins, I notice Princess inside, OV and even balcony cabins look smaller that other lines because of the closet location and maybe because the rooms on Princess are narrower.  This would leave less open space and more chance for tripping.  Many other cruise lines actually have larger rooms, but even those with similar square footage look larger...large enough for a sofa.

So maybe there is some truth to the claim that it is for safety.  I’m still not happy about it and am considering all my options...each line has pluses and minuses.  I feel better believing that Princess gave an honest answer.  I still don’t understand why an exception couldn’t be made for a cancer patient or a veteran.

13 minutes ago, Loreni said:

It had to cost Princess money to remove these chairs.  It would have been less expensive to do nothing.

Is it possible they were actually telling the truth that it is for safety reasons?  Did someone fall and sue Princess?

Initially, I dismissed this thought, but as I study other cruiseline cabins, I notice Princess inside, OV and even balcony cabins look smaller that other lines because of the closet location and maybe because the rooms on Princess are narrower.  This would leave less open space and more chance for tripping.  Many other cruise lines actually have larger rooms, but even those with similar square footage look larger...large enough for a sofa.

So maybe there is some truth to the claim that it is for safety.  I’m still not happy about it and am considering all my options...each line has pluses and minuses.  I feel better believing that Princess gave an honest answer.  I still don’t understand why an exception couldn’t be made for a cancer patient or a veteran.

I don’t recall it being posted that it was for safety but only for passengers who wanted some more room...did I miss a claim that it was for safety in this lengthy discussion?  

I think the savings comes from not having to maintain them by reupholstering chairs during a shipyard maintenance or maybe the framework is wearing out & it’s cheaper to remove than to replace them.

Edited by Astro Flyer

After reading through the hundreds of replies in this thread several things come to mind.  

I always thought I was a lone wolf in my complaint about the lack of a mini sofa in Princess balconies. Evidently I was not alone. And now that the chair is history, even more are outraged by Princess’ lack of concern about the comfort features in the more affordable cabins in their ships. I bet they leave the chairs in the pricier suites. Those cruisers aren’t as easily replaced. Many cruisers need the chair for health reasons. I, for one, can’t sit upright in bed. Nor sit crisis cross applesauce. Too old!! 

Seems like Princess has to choose a direction. Market to their loyal cruisers (who are clearly upset by the removal of the chair and speak of “jumping” ship) or go with new people who don’t know what “used to be” and just assume that’s what a cabin is supposed to look like. 

There is no way to know how many non-CC cruisers with no outlet to complain just move to other cruise lines. Forum members here are just a small percentage of all cruisers. I’d hope Princess is paying attention to that demographic. I steered 39 cruisers to Celebrity when I told them about Celebrity’s mini sofa. There’s no way to put a number on those cruisers who have never cruised on Princess, but went elsewhere. 

The chair removal was a conscious effort. There have been a number of reasons suggested - but bottom line is it was removed by design, not accident. Oh to be a fly on the wall when that subject was discussed. I still feel it was a financial decision, whether it was to remove the need to upkeep the chairs as they show wear and tear, or to push cruisers out of their cabins to spend money around the ship. I would bet Jan Swartz has multiple comfortable chairs in her office and doesn’t ask her visitors to fight over a stark desk chair. 

Somewhere out there there is a huge sale on used barrel chairs. Maybe Princess can pick up a few real cheap! 

Princess says we can request a chair when we board.

We are still waiting to hear back from passengers who have requested chairs and been granted chairs.  The only feedback I’ve seen is from those who requested chairs and been denied.  It could be that it varies by ship.  Some ships may have retained a few chairs, while others have gotten rid of all of them.

since chair removal is not fleet wide yet, there should be a number of ships retaining chairs for those who will request them.  Since Princess believes this to be a minority of passengers, it won’t be hard to store a few chairs.

in any case, soon we should be getting some feedback about requests being granted.  Why else would Princess tell people to try to get onboard early to make the request? 

21 minutes ago, Loreni said:

Safety was mentioned in a post a few days ago.  This coming from a Princess CSR.

• Like 1

Cruisingran1 makes a good point.  It was a conscious decision, not an accident.

if Princess is counting on young, new cruisers not knowing any better they should consider how internet savvy this demographic is.  They can find photos and videos of the competition’s cabins.

13 minutes ago, Loreni said:

Cruisingran1 makes a good point.  It was a conscious decision, not an accident.

if Princess is counting on young, new cruisers not knowing any better they should consider how internet savvy this demographic is.  They can find photos and videos of the competition’s cabins.

Heck, they can find pictures and videos of cabins with the chairs on Princess' own website.

Edited by AZJerry

59 minutes ago, Loreni said:

We are still waiting to hear back from passengers who have requested chairs and been granted chairs.  The only feedback I’ve seen is from those who requested chairs and been denied.  It could be that it varies by ship.  Some ships may have retained a few chairs, while others have gotten rid of all of them.

since chair removal is not fleet wide yet, there should be a number of ships retaining chairs for those who will request them.  Since Princess believes this to be a minority of passengers, it won’t be hard to store a few chairs.

in any case, soon we should be getting some feedback about requests being granted.  Why else would Princess tell people to try to get onboard early to make the request? 

The Grand is in dry dock now. We will see what they do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pstcrik said:

Does anyone know if this subject is being posted on Facebook.  I am not that tech. savvy and don't have an account to check it out but supposedly Facebook is seen by many more people.

I saw it discussed briefly yesterday on the Princess FB page.  

1 hour ago, Loreni said:

The Grand is in dry dock now. We will see what they do.

2 hours ago, Loreni said:

Customer Relations will tell you ask the steward when you board.  IMO, that is because it is just easier to pass it along than deal with the issue.  I boarded the Royal Princess 14 days ago for a 30 day cruise.  I asked my steward as soon as I could.  His response was there are NO CHAIRS to give me, they are permanently GONE!  I suppose it could vary by ship depending on where it is in the removal process.

Edited by hpeabody

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Time for Mod to shut this thread down?

Why....Princess is stating different reasons to different passengers and it definitely could cause Princess passengers to look for other options.  I hope this feedback will make them more forthcoming.

This is a relative new and major change for Princess and it's passengers.

I think this thread is beneficial because the more passengers who hear about this change (Princess is not being upfront and telling anyone what they are doing for a reason) the better they can make informed plans and decisions.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 5

We just received our "ocean medallion" for our March 23rd cruise.  All the way from Singapore!  What a waste.  One pound of packaging air express.  Give me my chair and table.  Think I can find my way to the bar.  Mindless toy in lieu of comfort!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, louden said:

We just received our "ocean medallion" for our March 23rd cruise.  All the way from Singapore!  What a waste.  One pound of packaging air express.  Give me my chair and table.  Think I can find my way to the bar.  Mindless toy in lieu of comfort!

and at the bar you will now pay a 18% gratuity instead of the old 15% - win, win ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hpeabody said:

YES 😞  I am on board right now in Santiago, Chile

Holly: Other than the lack of chairs how is the 49 day cruise treating you? I'm glad we cancelled it as Chris ended up having to have have heart surgery. Hope you are having a great cruise and the lack of chair isn't impacting you too badly. I think having the chair gone on a 49 day cruise would have really peeved Chris quite a bit.