Wonderful Copenhagen 2019.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, Danish viking said:

According to Rejseplanen.dk the shortest trip is to walk to Nørreport and take bus 25 from there.

The bus departs at 00, 20 and 40th minute past the hour.

To Absalon you just take either bus 25 or 27 to Østerport and change to any southbound S-train from here (Towards Køge Line A, Høje Taastrup Line B or Frederikssund/Ballerup line C or H)

Danish Viking I want to thank you most sincerely and gratefully for your time answering my post.  I really appreciate it and I know everyone does too.  I had an amazing time in Copenhagen such a beautiful city and the people too!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 9:27 AM, Danish viking said:

As promised, here is the photos from my trip.

Finding the 27 bus stop  at Østerport is very easy.

Turn your back to the main ticket hall and use this bridge instead.

48024194073_dcd429a58b_b.jpg

I'm assuming you mean go up the steps, then which direction?  If we were to go through the main hall, can we avoid so many steps.  They could be problematic with a lot of luggage.

We are on Explore of the Sea docking on Aug. 7.  Do you know which pier it will be docking at?

So much wonderful information on this site.  Only sorry we have only 7 hours in port :(  Need to see as much as we can in the limited time.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, dlwfarm said:

Thanks for the advice on my earlier question, but I have another.  

Is there a place to use credit cards near the bus pickup , bus 26 to city center, where the brilliance of the sea docks.  I heard that it is at c190 Langelinie.  

If there is a place to purchase tickets using credit cards, which ticket do I get and how much does it cost?  Thnak you.  Mary

Hi Mary, I'm also on a Brilliance sailing (maybe same as you?). The Brilliance itinerary I'm on includes another port in Denmark before Copenhagen - Skagen - so I plan to just save some of the DKK from that port for bus use in Copenhagen. If your itinerary is similar you may want to do the same.

20 minutes ago, grayhair61 said:

Wondering how fast paced the Free walking tour would be?  How large are the groups?

Thanks

We took free walking tour (the main one) just a few weeks ago.  Was quite good. Left from the statue across the bridge north of Christianborg Palace.  There were about 20 people - mostly in their 20’s to 50’s.  We liked the very good pace and everyone kept up great!  In my opinion it would not be so good for anyone who had mobility issues or didn’t like to walk.  Fortunately in our group everyone did.  I would guess we did about 4 miles or so in 2 hours.  Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

I'm assuming you mean go up the steps, then which direction?  If we were to go through the main hall, can we avoid so many steps.  They could be problematic with a lot of luggage.

You seem to miss the point with the working elevator 🙂

The main hall is currently closed because of renovation but will open sometimes this summer. 

But using the main hall would be a huge detour unless you plan on cathing the 25 bus instead. 

The pedestrian bridge only leads to the 26 and 27 busses. 

1 hour ago, grayhair61 said:

We are on Explore of the Sea docking on Aug. 7.  Do you know which pier it will be docking at?

So much wonderful information on this site.  Only sorry we have only 7 hours in port 😞  Need to see as much as we can in the limited time.

Its Oceankaj. 

9 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

You seem to miss the point with the working elevator 🙂

The main hall is currently closed because of renovation but will open sometimes this summer. 

But using the main hall would be a huge detour unless you plan on cathing the 25 bus instead. 

The pedestrian bridge only leads to the 26 and 27 busses. 

You're correct.  I did miss your point regarding the elevator.  When you said it was "not in function", I took it to mean that it was not operating.  Thank you for clarifying and for all the useful information.  

4 hours ago, ElsieToo said:

Hi Mary, I'm also on a Brilliance sailing (maybe same as you?). The Brilliance itinerary I'm on includes another port in Denmark before Copenhagen - Skagen - so I plan to just save some of the DKK from that port for bus use in Copenhagen. If your itinerary is similar you may want to do the same.

How will you get the dkk from SKAGEN?   We are going to be on the brilliance the 24th of June. 

27 minutes ago, dlwfarm said:

How will you get the dkk from SKAGEN?   We are going to be on the brilliance the 24th of June. 

Yup, that's our sailing! 🙂

I figure I'll stop by an ATM somewhere and pick up a small amount of DKK buy a treat at some point with cash during the day and save the rest for Copenhagen.

19 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We took free walking tour (the main one) just a few weeks ago.  Was quite good. Left from the statue across the bridge north of Christianborg Palace.  There were about 20 people - mostly in their 20’s to 50’s.  We liked the very good pace and everyone kept up great!  In my opinion it would not be so good for anyone who had mobility issues or didn’t like to walk.  Fortunately in our group everyone did.  I would guess we did about 4 miles or so in 2 hours.  Hope this helps.

If you don't mind what is the name of the free walking tour you took, that is first on my list when i arrive in Copenhagen, so they did not leave from City Center across from Tivoli Gardens.

We are still trying to decide what to do about transportation, and we leave tomorrow for our cruise. We will be landing in Copenhagen at 11:40 am this Saturday.  Our hotel is Adina Apartment Hotel at AmeriKa Plads 7.  There are 5 of us, and we are trying to decide if it will make more sense to take a bus or just pay a bit more to take a taxi.  If anyone knows what the cost difference will be, I would appreciate an estimate. If we take a bus, how do we find the right one, etc? Our group ranges from ages 17 to a very able bodied 76 year old.

Second, we will then have basically 24 hours in Copenhagen.  We were considering the HOHO bus but after reading so many negative reviews, we are having second thoughts. I'd love to hear the pros and cons (we will be walking distance to Little Mermaid, which I understand is a spot where we can get tickets and start the route). We are also very happy to walk a lot and orient ourselves, though do appreciate the overviews provided by the HOHO since I've never been to the country.

Finally, we are trying to decide the best method to get from our hotel (Adina Hotel) to the Ocenkaj port to get on NCL Getaway by noon.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  Keep in mind that we are 5 people with luggage. We want to be frugal, but we also want to be practical. 

Thanks so much for any input you all can provide.

Two taxis from the airport are going to be expensive - probably at least $50 each.  The problem for me is that I see no reasonable route from the airport that doesn't involve quite a bit of walking with luggage, not to mention public transport connections.  Maybe one of the locals can suggest a route.

As far as getting to the port, I think you're in luck. There is a stop for bus 27 about three blocks away (Pakhusvej ).  This bus will take you right to the Oceankaj terminal.  Buses run every 30 minutes. 

@tnga.

It is possible to take public transport without to much of a hustle.

Take the airport train towards Helsingør or Nivå and get off at Østerport. 

Here you follow the route i took in the pictures a few post back. 

Now the real difference is that only 27 stops at Pakhusvej just 100 meters from the door. 

26 towards Færge terminal Søndre Frihavn stops at Søndre Frihavn (Kalkbrænderihavnsgade) 400 meters away and the 26 to Søndre Frihavn - Indiakaj stops at Søndre Frihavn (Indiakaj) some 500 meters away. 

I don't know why the 26 to Færge terminal Søndre Frihavn doesn't stop at Pakhusvej (it does the other way) so to be sure just take bus 27.

On the way to the cruise ship you just take bus 27 to Oceankaj from the Pakhusvej bus stop. 

Another solution is to take 1 or 2 persons with the luggage on a taxi and let the rest of the crew take the bus and train without the luggage. 

4 hours ago, telebax51 said:

If you don't mind what is the name of the free walking tour you took, that is first on my list when i arrive in Copenhagen, so they did not leave from City Center across from Tivoli Gardens.

It was www.copenhagenfreewalkingtours.dk

they have several different ones. We did the classical at 12 noon

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:37 AM, FredZiffle said:

Based on my experience in May, if you must choose between going up the steps in the photo and descending a similar stairway or using the exit via the main hall and then walking to the Osterport bus station, choose the two stairways.

The main hall also has at least 2 different stairways, though not as many steps as in the photo. You will still have to walk the distance to the bus stop and managing multiple bags will be too difficult in my opinion. In May, departing the cruise port, bus 25 (due to the marathon held that day) terminated all bus riders at Osterport. Many of us went to the elevator only to find it not in use. All then chose to traverse the stairs, all except me. With just a carry on, a personal item and a small collapsible bag and mobility issues, I determined the stairs would be too difficult. I was in no time rush, so I walked to the Osterport train station. I struggled with my bags on the sidewalk and when I reached the station and saw the steps I needed to descend to get to the tracks, I realized the original stairs were the better option even if it meant I needed to make 2 or 3 trips per stair case.

If you only need to exit the train station and then use a car service/uber, then I would suggest exiting via the station not the staircase in the photo.

18 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Based on my experience in May, if you must choose between going up the steps in the photo and descending a similar stairway or using the exit via the main hall and then walking to the Osterport bus station, choose the two stairways.

Crystal clear.  Thanks.

41 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

But now the elevator is in service, just so that is clear.

So no stairs unless you want to. 🙂

I'm assuming that the elevator takes you from the train platform up to the bridge, but you still have to go down the other set of stairs.  Is that right?

1 hour ago, FredZiffle said:

I'm assuming that the elevator takes you from the train platform up to the bridge, but you still have to go down the other set of stairs.  Is that right?

There are 2 elevators, one by the train platform and the other is after you cross the bridge, close to the stairs that lead to Osterport bus station. The one by the bus station was not working in mid May and I thought Danish Viking posted, a few days ago, it was still not in service. He stated it is working which makes your traversing the tracks much easier.

Thank you Danish Viking for all your input on this board, you helped me when I visited. There is a small souvenir shop on Bredgade, #51 I think, that has a Viking troll outside. It's photo is now my wallpaper.