Wonderful Copenhagen 2019.

Okay there seems to be a little bit of confusion about the elevators. 

There are elevators to all the platforms, so to all tracks. 

On the left towards the new metro station there is a ramp to access the bridge. 

But towards the bus stop there was until a few weeks ago not an elevator.

It has been under construction for a very long time and I don't know how it took so long to get it done. 

But now it is done and should be working proberly. 

All these elevators has been installed as this bridge will work as a back entrance to the new metro platform and that is the reason why they have first been installed now. 

The "problem" has been that the ones to the platforms has been operating for a few years now and they have somehow waited to install the last one until the very last minute. 

That the opening of the metro has then been delayed a few months is another thing 🙂

On 2/3/2019 at 5:09 PM, Danish viking said:

Here is the most useful information for the 2019 season.

Pier Information

For pier location use this page, its updated closer to arrival with exact pier number and terminal.

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/copenhagen

C177 Nordre Toldbod

https://goo.gl/maps/AoV7G8HbFj32

C190-199 Nordre Toldbod

https://goo.gl/maps/XgJyRRmopbB2

C331-333 Oceankaj

https://goo.gl/maps/3EnfQ4Za7bN2

Transport to the piers

Nordre Toldbod is better reached by Taxi but bus 1A stops at Esplanaden (Grønningen) when travelling from downtown and when going to downtown its the bus stop called Esplanaden (Store Kongensgade) 

Langeliniekaj is served by bus 26 from the Indiakaj bus stop at the bottom of the pier

Oceankaj is served by both bus 25 and 27 stopping at the Oceankaj bus stop next to Terminal 1, they are both running from Østerport station (25 also from Nørreport)

look at www.journeyplanner.dk for schedules.

Single ticket (2 zones) to the downtown area is 24 kroner,

Single ticket to the airport (3 zones) is 36 Kroner.

Or if you want a citypass ticket you can order it on your phone and have it ready when leaving the ship.

https://dinoffentligetransport.dk/citypass

Taxi companies

Dantaxi

https://dantaxi4x48.dk/english/

Price calculator

https://dantaxi4x48.dk/hvad-koster-en-taxa/

4x47

https://4x27.dk/english-taxi

Private car

http://cphlimo.com/en/home

Private bus transfer

http://cruiseshuttle.dk/

Book your own bus if you are a big group.

https://www.bookingabus.com/en

And at last, a useful link if you don´t want to handle your luggage to and from the airport you can let these guys do it.

Its very useful if you have a late flight out of Copenhagen and wants to do some sightseeing before heading home.

https://airluggage.dk/book-luggage-transport/?gclid=CjwKCAiAv9riBRANEiwA9Dqv1Scqd-egNE134JzszIOHIJWxUb9KdvlevYEYjUYAyOnjesgUojLT1RoC7tQQAvD_BwE

Thats it, just ask away.

Excellent information. Glad to find this thread. 

Some of the information quoted in post 304 above is not correct.

Dock C190-199 is Langelinie pier, not Nordre Toldbod

Air Luggage (airluggage.dk) is no longer operating. (There are a few posts about it in this thread.)

Help! I have a question. I have been so busy planning every minute of this upcoming trip for the past year, but I forgot to plan how to get from Copenhagen airport to our hotel - Scandic Palace.  Is it far?  Will we be able to just grab a taxi at the airport? Or is there a better way?  Hauling our luggage onto a train is not an option, I am somewhat of an overpacker, lol.

On 6/18/2019 at 7:51 PM, gnome12 said:

Some of the information quoted in post 304 above is not correct.

Dock C190-199 is Langelinie pier, not Nordre Toldbod

Air Luggage (airluggage.dk) is no longer operating. (There are a few posts about it in this thread.)

That is correct, a small error from me there, its of course Langelinie, maybe it went to fast when I posted it 🙂

32 minutes ago, lamb616 said:

Help! I have a question. I have been so busy planning every minute of this upcoming trip for the past year, but I forgot to plan how to get from Copenhagen airport to our hotel - Scandic Palace.  Is it far?  Will we be able to just grab a taxi at the airport? Or is there a better way?  Hauling our luggage onto a train is not an option, I am somewhat of an overpacker, lol.

If you already have excluded public transport then why asking 🙂

Sorry just kidding. 

I don't know what other options you had in mind besides bus/train or taxi. 

A taxi is probably a 20 minutes ride and most users has reported a price of around 75 dollars from the airport. 

Edited by Danish viking

11 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

If you already have excluded public transport then why asking 🙂

Sorry just kidding. 

I don't know what other options you had in mind besides bus/train or taxi. 

A taxi is probably a 20 minutes ride and most users has reported a price of around 75 dollars from the airport. 

What I was most concerned about is if there are taxis available to grab when I get to the airport, or if I need to arrange one beforehand?

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, CCWineLover said:

We took free walking tour (the main one) just a few weeks ago.  Was quite good. Left from the statue across the bridge north of Christianborg Palace.  There were about 20 people - mostly in their 20’s to 50’s.  We liked the very good pace and everyone kept up great!  In my opinion it would not be so good for anyone who had mobility issues or didn’t like to walk.  Fortunately in our group everyone did.  I would guess we did about 4 miles or so in 2 hours.  Hope this helps.

We will also be taking the free walking tour and I'm wondering about tipping the tour guide.  Do you think they would accept Euros or USD?  Since we will be visiting so many different ports with different currencies, I'd like to eliminate exchanging more currencies.

4 hours ago, Danish viking said:

Since tipping is not normal in Denmark I think they will be happy with whatever you got. 

Thanks for your response.  If you don’t tip for a free walking tour, how else would the guides be compensated?

4 hours ago, Danish viking said:

Since tipping is not normal in Denmark I think they will be happy with whatever you got. 

Sorry, in this specific case I disagree. 

This is from the FAQs for Copenhagen Free Walking Tours:

How much does the tour cost?

It is free to participate all our tours, but you are welcome to tip your guide.

Will you accept tips in currencies other than Danish Crowns?

We often get tipped in Euros, Swedish Crowns and American dollars. All the guides are travellers and will find a way to use other currencies.

Do the guides keep, in full, any tips given to them?

In order to continue running these tours in Copenhagen, all guides pay a marketing fee to Copenhagen Free Walking Tours F.M.B.A. based on the number of guests who participated in the tour. This marketing fee is used to pay for our advertisement, websites, flyers, umbrellas, nametags and to run our administration.

The current marketing fee for the Grand Tour of Copenhagen is 10 DKK (1,34 euro) per guest and for The Classical Tour of Copenhagen and The Christianshavn Tour the marketing fee is 5 DKK (0,67 euro) per guest.

Not only are the guides not paid, they have to pay a marketing fee. Their only compensation is from tips.

3 minutes ago, PR1NCESSD1ANE said:

Thanks for your response.  If you don’t tip for a free walking tour, how else would the guides be compensated?

Please see my response above in post 302.

14 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Sorry, in this specific case I disagree. 

This is from the FAQs for Copenhagen Free Walking Tours:

How much does the tour cost?

It is free to participate all our tours, but you are welcome to tip your guide.

Will you accept tips in currencies other than Danish Crowns?

We often get tipped in Euros, Swedish Crowns and American dollars. All the guides are travellers and will find a way to use other currencies.

Do the guides keep, in full, any tips given to them?

In order to continue running these tours in Copenhagen, all guides pay a marketing fee to Copenhagen Free Walking Tours F.M.B.A. based on the number of guests who participated in the tour. This marketing fee is used to pay for our advertisement, websites, flyers, umbrellas, nametags and to run our administration.

The current marketing fee for the Grand Tour of Copenhagen is 10 DKK (1,34 euro) per guest and for The Classical Tour of Copenhagen and The Christianshavn Tour the marketing fee is 5 DKK (0,67 euro) per guest.

Not only are the guides not paid, they have to pay a marketing fee. Their only compensation is from tips.

Thank you!  This is just the info I was hoping for.

15 minutes ago, PR1NCESSD1ANE said:

I disagree with Danish Viking on this one. You do tip on the "free" walking tour - otherwise the guides would loose money on working the tours.

I've read somewhere that people usually recommend tipping the guide around 75 DKK per person, maybe 100 DKK if you enjoyed the tour (or the equivalent in other currencies). I think that sounds fair considering the cost of living in Copenhagen.

On 5/21/2019 at 5:28 PM, Danish viking said:

The easy answer will be to take a taxi.

As long as the metro station at Rådhuspladsen (where your hotel is) is not open then there is a bit of a walk from the Central station when you have to carry luggage around.

But as I just reported it will probably first open by the end of September.

The same answer apply for the second question, you will have to carry your luggage from the hotel to either Vesterport or the central station and then change to a bus at Østerport.

You are looking at a 10 minute walk to both stations.

Ohh what to see 🙂

With only 2 days I would stick to Copenhagen and not go the viking ship museum or Frederiksborg Palace/Kronborg castle.

But there is plenty to do in Copenhagen.

The national museum

Glyptoteket.

Rundetaarn

Canal tour

Rosenborg with the crown jewels

Amalienborg for the changing of the guards at noon.

Blue Planet Aquarium

The Zoo (now with pandas)

Torvehallerne food market

And probably lots of stuff that I have forgotten.

This looks like a nice list.  We are docking at Oceankaj.  I would like to do the canal tour.  What bus would I take?  After the canal what on the list is within walking distance.

Woooow I didn't think my post about tipping could start such a debate 🙂

So if you want to see it from my perspective I would probably have to explain why I wrote my comment. 

To start with I don't know what Free Walking tour is and I have only heard about it from you cruisers. 

In Denmark we have a great culture of volunteering for like festivals (like I do at Roskilde) or for social projects like serving food for the homeless or helping at the local town fair. 

So in my head i thought that free walking tours was a kind of project to show guests around the city for free. 

So how some people here describe it, it sounds more like a company that just not pay their employees and rely on tipping to pay their salary.

I am actually surprised to know that such business models exist in Denmark. 

Like how do they report the guides "salery" to the Danish IRS and is the reported salery 100% honest. 

But that is a discussion for another day. 🙂

But lets get back to the topic. 

Tipping is not the norm in Denmark because we get a decent salary. 

I realize that some jobs are not the most well payed but they mostly go to students that will supplement their payment they get for studying.

Yes we get payed to study 🙂

So no barista, waiter, taxi driver etc depends on tipping to make a living.

Then I realize that we have a special case here so tip accordingly. 

Edited by Danish viking

There was 2 huuuge ships in port at Oceankaj today (MSC Meraviglia and Regal Princess). 

My and my brother took a trip out there 3-4 hours before departure and my observation was that the number of taxis was plenty and the busses rather empty. 

We are just now starting to research our trip to Copenhagen.  We'll be spending 3 nights prior to our cruise in mid-October.  I was reading about the Copenhagen Card and the Copenhagen City Pass.  They seem to be similar, but from my reading the Card covers public transport and the Pass does not.  The Pass includes the HoHo bus, but the Card does not.  Am I correct on that?  Any opinions on which is better? 

We just got done with a five day visit to Copenhagen and used the CPH card. We really liked it and know we got our money’s worth. It was super easy to use. I do t have any experience with the City Pass. And correct, the HOHO bus is not included with the CPH card. We didn’t miss it though. The public transport is extensive and even takes you to towns like Roskilde and Helsingør, all included. 

Copenhagen Card is a tourist card and covers most entrances or in some case reduced entrance. 

City pass small and large is only for transportation. 

The small ones covers zone 1 to 4 and will most likely cover 90% of the area that most tourists visit. 

It also includes the airport. 

The large one covers Køge in the south, Roskilde in the West and Hundested, Gilleleje and Helsingør in the north. 

So if you plan on visiting Kronborg, Frederiksborg or the Viking ship museum and not buying the CPH Card then this is a good alternative. 

I looked for alternatives to  Air Luggage and found a company called Valizo that seems to offer the same service. The company is mentioned in the Visit Copenhagen web site. I am interested in having my luggage transferred from the cruise port to the airport.

I have read a lot of positive reviews about Air Luggage but none about Valizo. Is anyone familiar with this company?

5 hours ago, Danish viking said:

Copenhagen Card is a tourist card and covers most entrances or in some case reduced entrance. 

City pass small and large is only for transportation. 

The small ones covers zone 1 to 4 and will most likely cover 90% of the area that most tourists visit. 

It also includes the airport. 

The large one covers Køge in the south, Roskilde in the West and Hundested, Gilleleje and Helsingør in the north. 

So if you plan on visiting Kronborg, Frederiksborg or the Viking ship museum and not buying the CPH Card then this is a good alternative. 

This is getting even more confusing!

There is also something called Copenhagen City Pass which is from Stromma

https://www.copenhagencitypass.com/en/. This seems to be fairly similar to the Copenhagen Card although it covers many fewer attractions. It covers in addition, the HoHo buses and HoHo boats (run by Stromma naturally). It does NOT cover public transportation. Costs are reasonably comparable to the Copenhagen Card (at least for the 5 day that I am looking at).

The transportation pass is called City Pass (without Copenhagen at the beginning)

https://dinoffentligetransport.dk/citypass#

I will use the Copenhagen Card, because I think that the public transportation will beat any HoHo bus hands down. I can get straight to where I want to go (depending on the routing of course; oh for the M3 line) without the vagaries of a HoHo route and its timing.

Edited by gnome12