Wonderful Copenhagen 2019.

Hi! Thank you for the fast reply. We are flying to Paris and then on to Detroit. 

When you say the busses...where are they? Near the port? Would a taxi be better? I tried a few of your links from another post but wasn’t able to find a way to reserve or get a price. I assume taxis will be at the pier, but we are looking at getting off the ship as soon as they will allow. 

Is 7:07 the first bus? 

9 hours ago, mrsbos said:

Hi! Thank you for the fast reply. We are flying to Paris and then on to Detroit. 

Would a taxi be better?

- personally I would take a taxi  in this situation - it will take 30 to 35 minutes from Oceankaj to Airport

23 hours ago, mrsbos said:

When you say the busses...where are they? Near the port? Would a taxi be better? I tried a few of your links from another post but wasn’t able to find a way to reserve or get a price. I assume taxis will be at the pier, but we are looking at getting off the ship as soon as they will allow. 

Is 7:07 the first bus? 

Yes of course the bus will be at the port, I'm not trying to fool you 🙂

I have posted pictures in this thread on how to buy tickets etc. 

There is also a 6:08 and 6:37 departure, its better if you can get them. 

But as Hallasm says, a taxi will probably be quicker. 

Unless they have changed the rules then its not possible to prebook a taxi from Oceankaj, but that early it shouldn't be a problem to get a taxi but it is nice to have the bus as a backup plan. 

• Like 1

Danish Viking,

Have you heard any comments regarding the 2 different companies running Hop On Hop Off busses in Copenhagen.

We will be visiting October 7 to 11, 2019. 

One line is operated by Stromma the other is called redbus tours.

Just wondering if either company comes with a higher recommendation.

Many thanks for all the info you post here. It has been most helpful for us in planning our trip.

I am staying at the Crowne Plaza.  They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel.  Is there a shuttle from the hotel to the pier?  Does anyone know how much the shuttle is?  If no pier shuttle, should I just take a taxi?  Is this hotel in a safe area?

Also after the cruise, is it better to take a taxi to the airport or buy a transfer from the cruise line?

For a Baltic cruise, should I just take euros?  Any countries that take small amounts of  US money?  Any help is appreciated.

20 minutes ago, WELDON said:

I am staying at the Crowne Plaza.  They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel.  Is there a shuttle from the hotel to the pier?  Does anyone know how much the shuttle is?  If no pier shuttle, should I just take a taxi?  Is this hotel in a safe area?

Also after the cruise, is it better to take a taxi to the airport or buy a transfer from the cruise line?

For a Baltic cruise, should I just take euros?  Any countries that take small amounts of  US money?  Any help is appreciated.

The airport shuttle is 15 DKK, or you can take the train from the airport straight to Orestad station (I think it's two stops), which is right next to the hotel.  There is a shuttle to the pier as well.  They say to email them for more info on the cruise shuttle at reservations@cpcopenhagentowers.com .  Another option is to take the train down to Osterport station and transfer to Bus 27, which will take you right to the cruise terminal.

Personally, I avoid cruise line transfers because they are usually so much more than other forms of transportation.  If you're tight on time, the taxi probably makes the best sense, but taxis in Copenhagen are expensive.  If you've got some extra time, you can take the 27 bus back to Osterport and hop a train direct to the airport.  

Whenever I'm travelling abroad, I either use credit cards or local currency.  I figure that even if a business is willing to accept Euros or US $ in order to make a sale, it is hurting them to some extent because they've then got to convert it to their own currency and lose some percentage in the conversion.  Other than Estonia and Finland, I don't think any other countries on a Baltics itinerary use the Euro.

Are we talking this year or next. 

The new metro will change something. 

It has not been announced yet but I think the 25 cruise shuttle will just run between Orientkaj Metro station and Oceankaj. 

27 will probably still take the trip to Østerport. 

Danish Viking,

We'll be arriving at Langeliniekaj and want to take bus 26 to Radhuspladsen for a tour. I've read that the bus will only take local currency. Do you know if there is an ATM at the terminal to get local currency?

On 8/2/2019 at 6:26 PM, VCVR4HOME2 said:

Danish Viking,

Have you heard any comments regarding the 2 different companies running Hop On Hop Off busses in Copenhagen.

We will be visiting October 7 to 11, 2019. 

One line is operated by Stromma the other is called redbus tours.

Just wondering if either company comes with a higher recommendation.

Many thanks for all the info you post here. It has been most helpful for us in planning our trip.

I have never used one of them so I can't tell. 

But I know that Stromma gets very bad reviews. 

But I don't know what people expect of them, its just to get around and see the sights I think it will work fine. 

7 hours ago, mpat said:

Danish Viking,

We'll be arriving at Langeliniekaj and want to take bus 26 to Radhuspladsen for a tour. I've read that the bus will only take local currency. Do you know if there is an ATM at the terminal to get local currency?

There is not a terminal at Langelinie so I don't really know. 

But there is a shopping arcade perhaps they got one or else Google tells ne that there is one at nearby Indiakaj 1. 

But type atm and langeliniekaj on Google maps and it will show. 

17 hours ago, mpat said:

Danish Viking,

I was in Copenhagen in 2016 and the bus line 26 also accepted Euros at least. The ticket was 4 Euros.If you pay in local currency the ticket is cheaper(approx. 3,20 Euros) but you could pay with Euros. But the change was given in local currency only.

I don`t know wether they will take USD as well.

12 hours ago, Danish viking said:

There is not a terminal at Langelinie so I don't really know. 

But there is a shopping arcade perhaps they got one or else Google tells ne that there is one at nearby Indiakaj 1. 

But type atm and langeliniekaj on Google maps and it will show. 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

I was in Copenhagen in 2016 and the bus line 26 also accepted Euros at least. The ticket was 4 Euros.If you pay in local currency the ticket is cheaper(approx. 3,20 Euros) but you could pay with Euros. But the change was given in local currency only.

I don`t know wether they will take USD as well.

Thank you!

On 8/3/2019 at 10:10 PM, Danish viking said:

I have never used one of them so I can't tell. 

But I know that Stromma gets very bad reviews. 

But I don't know what people expect of them, its just to get around and see the sights I think it will work fine. 

Danish Viking, thank you for your thoughts.

i think I will play it by ear and not buy in advance.

thanks!

So the old Radisson Falkoner has reopened after 2 years of renovation and rebuild and is now opened as the Scandic Falkoner. 

Yes its not located in central Copenhagen, but Frederiksberg is also a nice neighbourhood. 

The hotel (like the other Scandic hotels) is offering free breakfast so that's a nice thing in a city that is more expensive than others. 🙂

The hotel is located next door to Frederiksberg metro station so you have a direct access to the airport and when the City Circle Line opens in 1,5 month you can get around the entire city without any problems. 

The next few hotel openings are the Zleep Hotel Copenhagen Arena and Cabinn Kalvebod Brygge and the expanded Wakeup Hotel Borgergade that all should open next year. 

But its not only discount hotels that are opening next year. 

Copenhagen Villa, the city's next 5 star hotel opens in the old mail headquaters (beautiful building) next year. 

Another 5 star hotel is on the way, Hilton opens in 2021.

Clarion Hotel Copenhagen Airport also opens next year but it will first be in september so that's after the cruise season. 

Scandic Nørreport will also open next year but I don't have a opening date on that one yet. 

2021 will also be a busy year with Scandic CPH Strandpark and Scandic Spectrum opening and so will Comwell Copenhagen Portside (close to the cruise pier) 

I was just reviewing the 2019 list of the best restaurants in the world and Copenhagen has SIX on the list (two in the top 5)!

No. 2 - Noma

No. 5 - Geranium

No. 56 - Relae

No. 85 - Amass

No. 89 - "108"

No. 105 - Kadeau

What a "Foodie" City!!!!

• Like 1

For anyone thinking about taking a bus from any of the Copenhagen piers who is concerned about not having local currency to buy a ticket, there is an app you can have on your phone (I think its called Mobilbilleter) allowing you to buy a bus (which is also a train, metro etc) ticket when you need it. Ahead of time I created a profile and entered a US credit card as the method of payment and it worked fine. You can't buy the ticket in advance so you'd need a data connection or wifi when you're about to get on the bus. I waited to purchase until I saw the bus pulling up to maximize the 75 minute validity of the ticket. I was able to buy multiple tickets with one app.

We disembarked the Regal Princess at Oceankaj last week and took a taxi to the airport to get on the 9:40am Air France flight to Paris. Regal was the only ship in port that day. We walked off the ship with all of our luggage around 6:30/6:35am and there were plenty of taxis waiting, including larger van taxis that a family of 5 was heading for. I would not say we had traffic on the trip to the airport other than some longish waits at some red lights or when we needed to turn left. We arrived at the airport around 7:05, I think, and the cost of the taxi was 460DKK. Even though all the airlines seem to give stock advice of "arrive 3 hours before an international flight," the "check in now" email we got from Air France 24 hours before the flight said the cutoff for checking in luggage was 9am. I don't know what the line for checking in luggage would have been right before then.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mollyapple said:

Hi

We are arriving in Copenhagen October 18 and taking the train from the airport. 

Does anyone know how far first hotel Mayfair is from the train station And also the best way to get there. Thanks 

Use the Journey Planner below and just plug in your trip.  It will tell you what train to take, where to get off, and how far the walk is.  There's even a map showing the walk.  FYI, take virtually any train to the main station, Kobenhavn H, and then walk about 3-4 blocks. 

http://www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/query.exe/en

On 8/12/2019 at 4:18 PM, fishdancer said:

For anyone thinking about taking a bus from any of the Copenhagen piers who is concerned about not having local currency to buy a ticket, there is an app you can have on your phone (I think its called Mobilbilleter) allowing you to buy a bus (which is also a train, metro etc) ticket when you need it. Ahead of time I created a profile and entered a US credit card as the method of payment and it worked fine. You can't buy the ticket in advance so you'd need a data connection or wifi when you're about to get on the bus. I waited to purchase until I saw the bus pulling up to maximize the 75 minute validity of the ticket. I was able to buy multiple tickets with one app.

We disembarked the Regal Princess at Oceankaj last week and took a taxi to the airport to get on the 9:40am Air France flight to Paris. Regal was the only ship in port that day. We walked off the ship with all of our luggage around 6:30/6:35am and there were plenty of taxis waiting, including larger van taxis that a family of 5 was heading for. I would not say we had traffic on the trip to the airport other than some longish waits at some red lights or when we needed to turn left. We arrived at the airport around 7:05, I think, and the cost of the taxi was 460DKK. Even though all the airlines seem to give stock advice of "arrive 3 hours before an international flight," the "check in now" email we got from Air France 24 hours before the flight said the cutoff for checking in luggage was 9am. I don't know what the line for checking in luggage would have been right before then.

3 hours is for any flights outside the Schengen area. 

So even though a flight to Paris is international its still within the Schengen zone, so the recommended arrival at the airport is 2 hours before and not 3.