Wonderful Copenhagen 2019.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:10 PM, Danish viking said:

The ticket will be valid from when you buy it at the ticket machine or by the bus driver. 

The time is rounded up to the first quartercof the hour, so if you buy it at 10:04 the ticket will be valid to 11:15.

I don't think you will get a fine if you get off at 11:17.

But no travels in Copenhagen should take more than 30-40 minutes. 

Thank you. I understand that the ride will not be longer than an hour. I'm talking about our sightseeing and activity time being longer than one hour. If I ride the bus to Tivoli, I will be there longer than one hour. Now I want to go back to my hotel. So we will, in fact, need a separate ticket for the return trip. Thanks again.

Hi all, 

Soon visiting Copenhagen for the first time.

Doing extended travel and packing super light.

My question is this:

is there a chain of stores in Copenhagen that is similar to what we call here in Canada “ Dollar Stores”

( these stores carry a wide variety of items at low prices usually under about $5).

Im looking to purchase low cost items to create a Halloween costume.

any suggestions most appreciated!

11 minutes ago, VCVR4HOME2 said:

Hi all, 

My question is this:

is there a chain of stores in Copenhagen that is similar to what we call here in Canada “ Dollar Stores”

( these stores carry a wide variety of items at low prices usually under about $5).

I don't remember seeing anything like that in my walks through the tourist areas, but I didn't cover everything of course. Note that NOTHING in Copenhagen is cheap.

@Danish viking: Yes, that's how I understand it too. AFAIK the metro supplement will only affect Rejsekort and commuter pass passengers. Paper tickets, City Passes and the Copenhagen Card seems to be unaffected by the upcoming metro supplement.

@VCVR4HOME2: Halloween is not that big here. It's starting to catch on for kids though, not as much for grown-ups. We have plenty of dollar stores. Most of them are called Flying Tiger. If your hunt in Flying Tiger is unsuccessful you could try visiting a party store, like Fest og Farver.

We are doing a B2B cruise into the Norweigian Fjords and then the Arctic Circle next June, 2020.  I am looking for recommendations for hotels on Copenhagen prior to the cruise as we will be arriving 5 days prior to the cruise.  During the time we are in Copenhagen, we would like to go to Sweeden for a day trip or 2 day trips.  We would like a hotel with breakfast included, moderately priced with queen to king size bed.  We will need transportation to the hotel and the cruise ship terminal.  With the length of the trip, we will have 2 large suitcases, and either 1 medium and 1 carryon or 2 carryons plus a tote bag, so public transportation to the hotel and cruise terminal would not be manageable as we are in our mid 60's.  I do not do laundry on a trip and will only have the cruise ship do socks and underwear as they wash in hot water.  We will also need transportation to the airport from the cruise at the end of our trip.  I am not sure where to start to look for information on the hotel and transportation ideas.  Would it be better to rent a car versus paying for taxis and then paying for tours to Sweeden versus doing it on our own?

Thanks!

Mary Anne

First of all I would look for one of the Scandic hotels because they include breakfast. 

If you rent a car (as I would suggest) then its probably easier to hit up one of their locations in Sluseholmen, Kødbyen or Falkoner as they probably has better and cheaper parking facilities... 

The reason why I would suggest a car is that southern Sweden is very rural so getting around on trains and busses might work if you are familier with using trains and busses but a car is lots easier. 

Just remember your passport when crossing the bridge or taking the ferry. 

A guide would probably be mega expensive so its probably better to look at the local tourist informations website to see what they can offer and plan your travel yourself.

For a start of you do only Malmö and Lund you can drop the car but if you are interested in the Wallander crime novels then a visit to Ystad could be interesting. 

There is also some interesting nature landscapes on Skånes East coast that could be interesting to see if you headed there anyway. 

Edited by Danish viking

I think it sounds like taxis is the way to go for you for the airport-hotel-cruise port trips.

If you intend to rent a car and drive to Sweden you should be aware of the high bridge toll on the Øresund Bridge - and if you're taking the Helsingør-Helsingborg ferry you can save some money by booking your ticket online. As Danish viking said, if you want explore cities or larger towns in Skåne (Malmö, Lund, Helsingborg, Ystad, etc.) it's easy to get there by public transport, and a lot cheaper than renting a car and driving it to Sweden... But if you want to visit rural Skåne then it's probably a good idea to rent a car (just be sure to ditch the car in Copenhagen, you're better off without a car here).

Edited by I_am_a_Dane

On 8/27/2019 at 9:34 AM, VCVR4HOME2 said:

Hi all, 

My question is this:

Thank you to everyone!

Your comments and suggestions are most appreciated.

We stayed at the Andersen Hotel.  They had breakfast and a wine hour. It was a very nice hotel but it is a boutique hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Hotels in Copenhagen are very expensive and I believe we paid around 300 a night. Although we did need a room to accommodate three. Be aware that most Northern European hotel do not have air conditioning and if you want air-conditioning you need to ask the hotel if it’s available. We happen to have a room in the hotel that had air-conditioning but not all rooms did. The air conditioning also does not run like in the states. It’s not as cold as it is here.

Here is a little info for those of you travelling to Copenhagen next year from California.

Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) has moved their LAX Stockholm route to Copenhagen starting from January 20th. 

During the summer timetable there will be daily departures from both airports. 

Nothing has been announced about San Francisco yet so I assume they also will have daily departures from there just like now. 

Danish Viking - I apologize if this has been asked already. I read through about 10 pages then skipped to the end. 

We aren't cruising until June 2021 but I'm a planner. We plan to arrive several days before the cruise to check out the city. We are a couple in our 40's travelling with our 10 year old (she's 8 now). I would love to hear any absolute must-see recommendations that are easily accessible before the cruise. (castles, canals, houses, Little Mermaid etc - I've just begun my research).

After the cruise we would like to rent a car (easy?) and drive to Billund for the obligatory Lego House and Legoland visit for a couple of days before flying home. Do you foresee any issues with that?

Thank you!

You will suggest a few things to do, especially with a child. 🙂

Zoo, now with Panda bears. 🙂

Blue Planet aquarium.

Experimentarium kids science museum. 

Frilandsmuseet open air museum. 

Viking ship museum in Roskilde. 

Its very easy to take the car to Billund, there is a motorway almost all the way. 

Just remember that you have to pay for the bridge toll to cross the Storebælt bridge. 

On 9/14/2019 at 4:22 PM, debnjoe1438 said:

My apologies if this question has already been asked and answered. When getting a taxi at the airport, is there a limit to the number of bags a person can have? There will be 4 of us when most likely 2 bags each.

Thanks

If there is space enough for it in the trunk it's fine. There are no formal limits, only practical ones. Some taxis are stationcars and can fit quite a lot of luggage...

On 6/12/2019 at 1:40 PM, CCWineLover said:

We took free walking tour (the main one) just a few weeks ago.  Was quite good. Left from the statue across the bridge north of Christianborg Palace.  There were about 20 people - mostly in their 20’s to 50’s.  We liked the very good pace and everyone kept up great!  In my opinion it would not be so good for anyone who had mobility issues or didn’t like to walk.  Fortunately in our group everyone did.  I would guess we did about 4 miles or so in 2 hours.  Hope this helps.

Can we take this walking tour from where the cruise ships dock?

6 hours ago, debnjoe1438 said:

Is a pin number required for credit card use in Copenhagen?

We were in Copenhagen in August and used our US credit card(Capital One) and didn't need a pin. Most had us sign a slip but sometimes we could use the tap and go and didn't need to sign.  Used this same card throughout our cruise. No problems anywhere without a pin.  Even small purchases were okay. And the taxis took credit cards too.  They too had us sign a slip.

Edited by vjblk

13 hours ago, IBsaved said:

Can we take this walking tour from where the cruise ships dock?

There are 2 main docks.  Neither is next to the heart of COP.  The nearer one (Langeline sp?) is about a 25 minute walk. The farther one you get a city bus.  Some ships do offer shuttles to town.  Ours did.