Wonderful Copenhagen 2019.

37 minutes ago, Danish viking said:

Is it Kongens Have?, if yes that the royal park surrounding Rosenborg Palace. 

The free concerts are just open sir stages located around the city. 

It can change from year to year but generally they use Nyhavn, Town Hall square and Tivoli.

The concerts that costs money are usually in Tivoli Concert hall, Koncerthuset at DR Byen, Operaen and other venues like that, perhaps Pumpehuset, Vega and Amager Bio is used as well but I'm not sure about that. 

But the full lineups should be around the corner, Roskilde Festival that is located a week or so before Copenhagen Jazz Festival is announcing their full lineup by the end of this month.

I think I’ll wait then and not decide anything about Saturday night yet. I don’t want a paid concert in case I’m too tired to go; that is the day I arrive. 

Hello, Danish Viking - Will I need local currency or is it pretty much cashless?

I have a chipped credit card (one) that I can use overseas, but plan to be spending 3 days in and around Copenhagen prior to embarking on a cruise,

Hello Danish Viking - you have been so helpful with your great information!

We are arriving in Copenhagen in early May - and just got word that we are likely arriving at the Oceankaj cruise port which they say is 5 miles away and advise us to take taxi's into the city center.

We have purchased a Copenhagen Card to be picked up at the Visitor Center or Tivoli Gardens upon our arrival, which we thought would be at Langelinie Pier (20 some minute walk or #26 bus ).   We are on Viking Jupiter on 8 May.

Do you know if there are public transit options to get to the City from the distant pier?  Or are we "stuck" with expensive taxi's?

Thank you for any insight.    Also - how much time then to allow for travel from this distant pier.

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Hello Danish Viking - you have been so helpful with your great information!

We are arriving in Copenhagen in early May - and just got word that we are likely arriving at the Oceankaj cruise port which they say is 5 miles away and advise us to take taxi's into the city center.

We have purchased a Copenhagen Card to be picked up at the Visitor Center or Tivoli Gardens upon our arrival, which we thought would be at Langelinie Pier (20 some minute walk or #26 bus ).   We are on Viking Jupiter on 8 May.

Do you know if there are public transit options to get to the City from the distant pier?  Or are we "stuck" with expensive taxi's?

Thank you for any insight.    Also - how much time then to allow for travel from this distant pier.

Check the very first post on page 1 of this thread ... it has links for the info you are looking for.  We plan to use bus #25 or #27 to get to the city center from Oceankaj.

So I really don't know why this has slippe my attention but the Danish flag called Dannebrog will celebrated its 800 years anniversary on the 15th of June. 

So if you are in Copenhagen around that date then expect some celebrations and festivities.

I know that my local church in Køge has some concert in the evening of the 14th. 

Also if you are in Tallinn then also expect some kind of celebration there because according to the legends the flag fell down from the sky somewhere in Estonia 800 years ago. 

It happens in the same year as Estonias 100 years celebration but what happens with that you have to ask a local. 

But when we get closer I will post a schedule but I expect the royal family to be present and perhaps also some of the royal families from Norway and Sweden will be there. 

5 hours ago, Danish viking said:

According to the port Authority website all the Viking ships (pun intended 🙂 ) are scheduled to dock at Langelinie in all the season.

That includes Viking Sun, Viking Sky, Viking Sea and Viking Jupiter. 

Thank you Danish Viking.  Interesting.  It was Viking Cruises that told me, in response to my query about where we dock, that we are at Oceankaj (May 8-9).  Perhaps that is because we are overnighting?  and need certain supply loading facilities?

The quote from Viking:  " Typically Viking docks at one of two locations in Copenhagen, and is currently showing docking to: Oceankaj Cruise Terminal, Oceanvej, Free Port, 2150 Copenhagen. This location is just 5 miles North of city center, and taxis are available for transportation. "

Then I don't know what to say, ut shows the Jupiter as the only ship on these 2 dates so capacity issues at Langelinie are not the reason. 

Maybe you should contact then again and tell them that CMPort a has another opinion on where they should dock. 🙂

But with your "small" ship being the only one at Oceankaj (if that is the pier) you should have no problem with taking bus. 

Currently the Journey planner only shows bus 27 and not bus 25 because its only in service when there are cruise ships at Oceankaj. 

Its another indication that it will be Langelinie. 

I checked on other dates where ships are listes as docking at Oceankaj and it is showing bus 25. 

On 3/16/2019 at 4:25 PM, gnome12 said:

I think I’ll wait then and not decide anything about Saturday night yet. I don’t want a paid concert in case I’m too tired to go; that is the day I arrive. 

Sorry it is Krøgers Have on Frederiksberg, I just thought that you misspelled Kongens Have. 

2 hours ago, Danish viking said:

Sorry it is Krøgers Have on Frederiksberg, I just thought that you misspelled Kongens Have. 

I have a reservation for dinner there. No charge for the concert, but it takes place in the restaurant. If I find something later that I like better later I will cancel the reservation, but since I will be jet-lagged knowing I can sit for an early concert makes sense. 

So I just looked at the long term forecast from DMI (national weather service) 

It says that April will be as warm or a little bit warmer than usual and the there will be a little bit less rail than usual. 

By the end of the month we can reach 20 degress. 

Statistically April is the driest month of the year and when DMI says normal they mean statistic for the last 20 years. 

Edited by Danish viking

1 hour ago, debnjoe1438 said:

Danish Viking-my apologies if this question has been asked and answered. However, where in the airport can the Copenhagen Card be purchased? Thank you

Not Danish Viking but...

CPH Airport Service Center
Terminal 3, Copenhagen Airport

The link below is from the collect-and-ship page, but it is the same place as to purchase it, and it shows a terminal map to help.

Danish Viking, THANK YOU so much for truly wonderful "Wonderful Copenhagen" thread 

I have just changed my arrival date to fly to Copenhagen 1 day earlier instead of day of the cruise. We will be staying in Wake Up Copenhagen Boregarde. This was not my first choice, but it has decent air conditioning according to tripadvisor reviews, which is a must for DH, plus it is conveniently located and offers triple rooms. I have not been to Europe in 10 years and keep forgetting that space is premium :)

Now to my questions:

• I was planning to take Uber from airport. Do Uber exist in Denmark? (stupid question, but they were not mentioned in 4 pages here, so I had to ask)
  • It shows about 20 min or so walk to Tivoli gardens from the hotel. Is this somewhat accurate? There is also a Lego store on the way (bonus). 
  • My plan so far is to take it somewhat easy and just walk to Tivoli in the pm after checking in and have dinner there (would you recommend all inclusive ticket or pay as you go option? We are not big on rides, but my DS (10) might want to do a couple). Than in the am walk over to Nyhavn or just walk around the city before heading to the pier. We are planning to take more formal excursion with all the highlights on debarkation day from the ship. Princess normally does great job with debarkation excursions. 

7 hours ago, nattie said:

Danish Viking, THANK YOU so much for truly wonderful "Wonderful Copenhagen" thread 

I have just changed my arrival date to fly to Copenhagen 1 day earlier instead of day of the cruise. We will be staying in Wake Up Copenhagen Boregarde. This was not my first choice, but it has decent air conditioning according to tripadvisor reviews, which is a must for DH, plus it is conveniently located and offers triple rooms. I have not been to Europe in 10 years and keep forgetting that space is premium 🙂

Now to my questions:

• I was planning to take Uber from airport. Do Uber exist in Denmark? (stupid question, but they were not mentioned in 4 pages here, so I had to ask)
  • It shows about 20 min or so walk to Tivoli gardens from the hotel. Is this somewhat accurate? There is also a Lego store on the way (bonus). 
  • My plan so far is to take it somewhat easy and just walk to Tivoli in the pm after checking in and have dinner there (would you recommend all inclusive ticket or pay as you go option? We are not big on rides, but my DS (10) might want to do a couple). Than in the am walk over to Nyhavn or just walk around the city before heading to the pier. We are planning to take more formal excursion with all the highlights on debarkation day from the ship. Princess normally does great job with debarkation excursions. 

I have never been to the states but I have noticed in many reviews now that hotel rooms in Europe is smaller that in America. 🙂

Wake Up Hotel Borgergade is a very convenient located hotel just a few blocks from Nyhavn and Kongens Nytorv Metro station. 

No Uber is illegal in Denmark but there are plenty of taxies at the airport or else you can take the metro directly to Kongens Nytorv. 

20 minutes seems fair, but there are many things to see on Strøget that is the street you will walk on from Kongens Nytorv to Town Hall Square (Rådhuspladsen) just next to Tivoli. 

So maybe allow 1 hour or so if you want to visit the Lego, Georg Jensen or Royal Copenhagen porcelain store etc etc. 

The single ride tickets are okay if you just take 2-3 rides but if you go on more rides I will say that the multi ride ticket is better. 

There are many good place to eat in Tivoli but I would probably go for one of the places serving traditionally Danish food like færgekroen. 

But look it up on Tivolis website. 

If you come by mid July or later you can skip the walk back to the hotel and just take the metro from Rådhuspladsen to Marmorkirken that is the one Closest to your hotel.

But this line first opens in July (no date is set yet)

Edited by Danish viking

Friends!!!! 

If any of you are on the Seabourn Ovation that should have docked in Copenhagen on the 6th og July I can tell that it instead will dock in Køge instead. 

And as you have guessed it, Køge is my hometown so if you are on that ship on that date then just ask any questions. 🙂

Edited by Danish viking

12 hours ago, Danish viking said:

If you come by mid July or later you can skip the walk back to the hotel and just take the metro from Rådhuspladsen to Marmorkirken that is the one Closest to your hotel.

I think you are being a bit optimistic here. Even though the official plan is to open in July 2019, the metro company now says that it will open "Summer 2019". Plus, they stress that it's still uncertain if they can open then. I would say that it's highly unlikely that they will open before August...

Edited by frederik123456

6 minutes ago, frederik123456 said:

I think you are being a bit optimistic here. Even though the official plan is to open in July 2019, the metro company now says that it will open "Summer 2019". Plus, they stress that it's still uncertain if they can open then. I would say that it's highly unlikely that they will open before August...

Disappointing for me as I will be in Copenhagen July 13 to 17, but not unexpected. 

On 3/17/2019 at 11:19 PM, fdpevey said:

Hello, Danish Viking - Will I need local currency or is it pretty much cashless?

I have a chipped credit card (one) that I can use overseas, but plan to be spending 3 days in and around Copenhagen prior to embarking on a cruise,

Yes its mostly cashless, very few places has problems with accepting international cards.