Cruise Critic Community
Pier290

Will X ever get wristbands instead of cards??

23 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

RCI has had the wristbands for years, at least on some of their ships. We had them on Anthem OTS.  They are great when using the gym or pool, and they make it easier to open your cabin door, especially if you are carrying something.  

But in situations when you had to remove them to give them to servers (e.g. in the theatre) to be taken back to a reader as you do with your sea pass card, they were clumsy.  That situation could be rectified by the cruise line fully committing to the technology and providing mobile readers. 

Helpful. Without a committed mobile reader--it is a no go for us

The only time I’d wear a wristband is when I’m wheeled into some hospital and a medical person insists I wear one.....and I don’t consider going on a cruise as the same as checking into a hospital. If it’s optional, go for it.  It may be fine for kids who may lose their cards, or for adults who think walking around with a wristband is a good idea.

Den

4 hours ago, kenevenpar said:

What is a HOS?

Think its something you ride on.

Celebrity on Edge has the smartphone cabin entry on the app.  Seriously who wants to wear a wristband?

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

Think its something you ride on.

Or Dan Blocker in Bonanza

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Celebrity on Edge has the smartphone cabin entry on the app.  Seriously who wants to wear a wristband?

I don't want to wear a wrist band or carry my phone everywhere. I'll stick with the Seapass.

4 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I don't understand why people say "I hope not". On the cruise lines that have them (like MSC) it's optional. You get your regular key card and if you're Yacht Club or Aurea you get it for free (if you want) and everyone else has to pay $5 for them. So if you don't like the wristband then stick to your keycard but don't express a negative view if it doesn't impact you in any way, shape, or form.

You say that, and it sounds good - choices.  But what happens is that they pilot these things, and then if it makes it easier on the cruise line (regardless of what the passengers prefer IMHO), then they implement it fleetwide.  I think they are tacky and cheap.  If I want to go to an amusement park I will book Symphony of the Seas.  I don't, which is why I love Celebrity.  And to those who would call me a complainer...………..is that how you define anyone who disagrees with you?  If you don't like what I like then you are a complainer???  We get enough of that in politics, don't need it on Cruise Critic!  If I happen to not like something you like, that is called freedom.  It doesn't make me a 'complainer'.

many of the long-time cruisers seem to be against the wristbands, because you can't put them on a necklace so everyone can see your status.

I'm going to get "ELITE +" tattooed on my forehead.

Edited by Nachosdelux

6 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

You say that, and it sounds good - choices.  But what happens is that they pilot these things, and then if it makes it easier on the cruise line (regardless of what the passengers prefer IMHO), then they implement it fleetwide.  I think they are tacky and cheap.  If I want to go to an amusement park I will book Symphony of the Seas.  I don't, which is why I love Celebrity.  And to those who would call me a complainer...………..is that how you define anyone who disagrees with you?  If you don't like what I like then you are a complainer???  We get enough of that in politics, don't need it on Cruise Critic!  If I happen to not like something you like, that is called freedom.  It doesn't make me a 'complainer'.

What do you think costs the cruise line more? A cheap plastic key card or a wristband? I guarantee you it's the card. If they roll it out they'll either charge everyone that wants it for the convenience or just give it to suite guests for free and charge everyone else. Your argument is like saying you don't like prime rib so when you go to the restaurant you are against them adding prime rib to the menu because soon enough all their dishes will be prime rib when the chicken breast is indeed cheaper.

When we go to Disney we get the magicband. I love them!! It’s always there when you need it and don’t have to fumble in your pockets for a card or have something hanging around neck. The magic bands even have a removable puck so if you don’t want it around your wrist you can get something to hand around your neck or put on your belt loop. 38402961-798E-481D-BE64-D3923B07E4AB.thumb.png.6c59a4d735080b9cf2cddb8be6fedbdc.png

7 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

many of the long-time cruisers seem to be against the wristbands, because you can't put them on a necklace so everyone can see your status.

I'm going to get "ELITE +" tattooed on my forehead.

E plus, never worn a necklace and see very few on Celebrity. Do you have any proof of your statement.  

Edited by dkjretired

7 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

What do you think costs the cruise line more? A cheap plastic key card or a wristband? I guarantee you it's the card. If they roll it out they'll either charge everyone that wants it for the convenience or just give it to suite guests for free and charge everyone else. Your argument is like saying you don't like prime rib so when you go to the restaurant you are against them adding prime rib to the menu because soon enough all their dishes will be prime rib when the chicken breast is indeed cheaper.

So you can 'guarantee' that the wristband costs more - and we are talking over time, not original implementation.  I don't necessarily agree with that conclusion.  And if in fact you are correct, then you are losing your own argument.  If you look at changes in Celebrity over the last 5-10 years, you will notice that they are charging for more and more and more.  Virtually anything they can charge extra for they do.  So if the wristband does indeed cost more and they want to charge people to use it, they definitely will be pushing it harder and harder until it becomes a mandatory charge (perhaps hidden in the cruise price).  You're welcome to disagree.  I am done wasting my time debating topics that are not even reality yet.

7 minutes ago, trucker den said:

When we go to Disney we get the magicband. I love them!! It’s always there when you need it and don’t have to fumble in your pockets for a card or have something hanging around neck. The magic bands even have a removable puck so if you don’t want it around your wrist you can get something to hand around your neck or put on your belt loop. 38402961-798E-481D-BE64-D3923B07E4AB.thumb.png.6c59a4d735080b9cf2cddb8be6fedbdc.png

Another thing I hate about going to Disneyworld anymore.  You used to be able to go there and just walk around and enjoy your day.  Then you had to start planning ahead to book dinners if you wanted a popular restaurant at a reasonable hour.  Then you had to start figuring out where and how to use your Fastpass.  Then the Fastpass became automated and you had to start reserving them days or weeks ahead of time.   Then the app came out and you are looking at your cell phone every other minute trying to figure out which ride has the shortest wait time so you can rush over there next.  And now these stupid bracelets so they can find yet another way to bleed more $$ out of an already extremely expensive experience.   You might argue, but you don't HAVE to do these things, they are optional.  Agreed.  But then you are pitted against those who are doing those things and will never get to see all that you want to see and do all that you want to do unless you utilize those technologies.  What used to be a nice, fun, relaxing vacation has become a stress-filled mess IMHO.

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

E plus, never worn a necklace and see very few on Celebrity. Do you have any proof of your statement.  

The truth is that top tier cruisers tend to keep their status private. I know only 2 Zenith couples that were pins to indicate their status and most passengers won't know what the pins signify. I've also noticed that you see very few Suite cards on lanyards and if they are they tend to have the front to the back.  I've never had anyone say to me in Michael's Club that they are in the Penthouse or Royal Suite. I guess from reading past posts on topics that might  deal with status that some people just unwilling to accept that others earned what they have by being very loyal and/or spending the money.

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

We are E+ and the only thing I wear around my neck is my neckless. 

12 hours ago, Oville said:

My comment to that would be who wants to walk around on a cruise with smartphone in tow everywhere you go? Options are good, I'll give you that, but relying on a phone is not my idea of a good one.  

On 2/5/2019 at 1:55 AM, Pier290 said:

The reality is they are the latest and greatest convenience on a vacation....and most high end resorts and luxury ships are now using wristbands....we never had to remove them to be scanned luckily or I definitely would not have liked them as much!

There's nothing I hate more than having to fuss and fumble around with a sea card.... especially at the pool when I have to keep my eyes on my bags at all times while I swim to make sure no one will take it.    If it's on my wrist ..... Worry free!   I can handle wearing a sleek wristband for a week without it cramping my style or ruining my evening wear....

Really hope Equinox gets them!!! 🛳️❤️🍹

Good Lord, what “luxury cruise line” has people wearing plastic wristbands?  Absolutely none that I have been on (Regent, Silverseas etc).

I cannot imagine anything I would like less than wearing this for 16 days on my upcoming cruise, but for those who would like it, I hope it becomes an option for you.  Option being the operative word.

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We are E+ and the only thing I wear around my neck is my neckless. 

Agree, all this stuff is so tacky I can’t imagine it on any top cruise line and have never seen it on Crystal, Oceania or Viking Ocean.

Cards on necklaces are also tacky and not seen.👍

Edited by orchestrapal

15 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I don't understand why people say "I hope not". On the cruise lines that have them (like MSC) it's optional. You get your regular key card and if you're Yacht Club or Aurea you get it for free (if you want) and everyone else has to pay $5 for them. So if you don't like the wristband then stick to your keycard but don't express a negative view if it doesn't impact you in any way, shape, or form.

I hope not....theme park tacky!

We like X the way it is.

No need to copy NSC, Carnival, Norwegian Royal  etc

We did not use the app or carry our phones..We managed very well with our cards to access our room and  charge drinks,  purchases or gain admittance to events.  All those gimmicks cost  $ to implement..rather they improve in other areas!

15 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I'm one of the posters who said "I hope not." The original question made it sound like it was not an either or option but no option at all.  Having never had the wrist band I took it to mean no option.  If there is still a sea pass card then I have no issue with the wrist band.  It's just not for me.

Same here.  As long as it's optional, I'll just use my sea pass card.  I don't like having stuff on my wrist, especially not in the hot Caribbean.

Edited by CruisinCrow

We love the magic bands at Disneyworld.  We also liked the wrist bands on our Disney Cruise.  I am fairly certain that their use was optional.  They are amazing convenient.

Princess is converting to a Medallion system where everything is automated.  I am not sure whether a wristband is one of the options.  Or perhaps a Medallion in your pocket or purse.

Personally I would welcome the option of wearing a wristband.  They have to be more convenient and less obvious than wearing a Seapass card around your neck.  Personally I would never wear a lanyard with a Seapass card.  I am not sure why, but I do not even like to see people wearing them.  

The bottom line for me is that I would guess that if one would try the wristband, you might find that you like it as I do.  I do hope that if it is implemented it is optional. (It always has been in my experience)

Different strokes for different folks. The problem only arises when someone’s opinion infringes on someone else. If wrist bands are optional then you don’t have to wear it if you don’t want. We got off the Edge and Celebrity is already doing more and more with technology. A perfect example is the trivia and the facial recognition. It’s only a matter of time before they add wristbands and offer even more services using new technology. The reality is that those adamantly opposed to it are fighting a losing battle. It won’t be long before they get rid of the paper daily planners etc as well. 

Honestly, I don't care what they use so long as I'm on the cruise. 

For Disney, cost was not the consideration for them to implement, it was added data-points for their analysis.  With the wristbands, they can see in real time where everyone is at all times and can see crowd flow and patterns.  It allows them to better plan staffing for rides and restaurants.  I do not think that cruise lines need that same amount of data analysis, but maybe.  I do like the convenience of them as long as they are optional...and waterproof.