Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Pier290

Will X ever get wristbands instead of cards??

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

If it's an option. Which it isn't fleetwide on Celebrity and RC. I don't see it being more convenient. No value or benefit added. You still need to remove it to make most purchases. You still need your Sea Pass card to leave and renter the ship. I don't worry about losing my Sea Pass card. We haven't ever lost or misplaced any of them on any of our cruises, yet. :classic_wink:

 

Changes aren't always made for added value or benefit to the customer. There could be added value or benefit to the company/crew. Companies make questionable decisions all of the time for their own benefit and choose to deal with the short lived backlash. Example....Apple gets rid of the headphone jack. I don't work for Apple so I can't tell you the behind the scenes reason. But they felt the backlash and absorbed it....now nobody cares it's not there and iPhones still don't have headphone jacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, davekathy said:

If it's an option. Which it isn't fleetwide on Celebrity and RC. I don't see it being more convenient. No value or benefit added. You still need to remove it to make most purchases. You still need your Sea Pass card to leave and renter the ship. I don't worry about losing my Sea Pass card. We haven't ever lost or misplaced any of them on any of our cruises, yet. :classic_wink:

On MSC you don’t have to take it off. They have readers all over the ship and when you want something they just tap your wristband with a device and it takes care of it. Very convenient!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

On MSC you don’t have to take it off. They have readers all over the ship and when you want something they just tap your wristband with a device and it takes care of it. Very convenient!

Convenient if Celebrity had or plans on having portable readers for the staff. RC doesn't, inconvenient.  

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

 

Changes aren't always made for added value or benefit to the customer. There could be added value or benefit to the company/crew. Companies make questionable decisions all of the time for their own benefit and choose to deal with the short lived backlash. Example....Apple gets rid of the headphone jack. I don't work for Apple so I can't tell you the behind the scenes reason. But they felt the backlash and absorbed it....now nobody cares it's not there and iPhones still don't have headphone jacks.

And not always for the crew in some circumstances.  RC doesn't have portable readers for the staff so where's the value/benefit over a Sea Pass card for the sever lets say for taking drink orders at the different venues? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headphone jack? What is that! How does my Bluetooth hook up to that?  🙂

 

choices are good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

 

I wear my card on a lanyard. Don't be nervous; I won't put one on you.

 

LOL!  Much appreciated.  (I guess I just think it will look like a conference at sea....😀)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Diamond lover said:

Wait, on top of being awful, you BUY them?  Like, it is an option for purchase?  Argh!!  

 

Seriously, I keep my seapass in a pocket or in my bag, I would never wear it on a lanyard....dear God what am I getting into lol?  Seriously, do Celebrity pax really wear lanyards?  I am getting nervous now.

 

I have never worn my sea pass card on a lanyard, no matter what cruise line I am on. :classic_smile:  

 

I'm with you - I can't believe they would actually charge for those ugly things.  No thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, txflood33 said:

 

Changes aren't always made for added value or benefit to the customer. There could be added value or benefit to the company/crew. Companies make questionable decisions all of the time for their own benefit and choose to deal with the short lived backlash. Example....Apple gets rid of the headphone jack. I don't work for Apple so I can't tell you the behind the scenes reason. But they felt the backlash and absorbed it....now nobody cares it's not there and iPhones still don't have headphone jacks.

 

I still care.  :classic_sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, txflood33 said:

reading through this thread reminds me of when hotels had actual keys...then they had cards you has to insert into the slot...then they had cards you just place up by the doorknob.

 

Many times they are using us to debug their systems as they make changes. Last week, we stayed at a Marriott that had the “room key on your phone” capability. 

 

We we also took the old fashioned key cards.  My wife tried to use the key on the phone, and it never worked. Even the Marriott employee could not get it to work. 

 

If if they do roll the bands out, they should make them stylish, and make sure they work for everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

 

Many times they are using us to debug their systems as they make changes. Last week, we stayed at a Marriott that had the “room key on your phone” capability. 

 

We we also took the old fashioned key cards.  My wife tried to use the key on the phone, and it never worked. Even the Marriott employee could not get it to work. 

 

If if they do roll the bands out, they should make them stylish, and make sure they work for everything. 

 

I don't disagree with this. There will be tests. If I had to guess, they will test different bands/straps, different readers, different software for the back end. I don't see how they are not coming....especially as someone brought up here, they can be used to gather data to improve efficiency and customer service levels.

 

Just like they were testing water cartons and water aluminum bottles and glass water bottles. They will figure out what works best for a number of reasons, and customer satisfaction with that idea may not be in the top 10 reasons to move forward or scrap it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's for me.

 

(1) I would have to find the right color to match my eyeliner. That's not easy. As we all know.

(2) It would ruffle my wrist hair and wear away the coloring that covers the gray. Not good. At all.

(3) I might not be able to swizzle the very last drop of my chocolate martini out of the glass if the wrist band rotates and gets in the way.

(4) Swimming my three mile laps would be reduced to 2.5 miles due to the added drag of the wrist band.

(5) I'm almost sure they are color coded according to stateroom level. Imagine having a retailer on a port stop know that you're an 'inside cabiner'. The horror as they walk by you to a suite passenger wearing the azure blue band.

(6) Ships officers would know and you would NOT be invited to the Captain's dinner. Not that we ever have been. But, hey, one never knows, right?

(7) The wrist bands don't allow extra points for shuffleboard. Why bother?

(8) The wrist bands do NOT take the place of the PFDs (personal flotation devices) in the case we have to do an emergency disembarkment with seven short blasts and one long blast. They will sink with the wearer. But the recovery team will know where to find you. That's a good thing.

(9) You will NOT get extra bacon for wearing the wrist band.

(10) There is no chance at all that you will get extra wifi on your wristband. But it will unlock your stateroom door.

 

Maybe it's not really a bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

I don't think it's for me.

 

(1) I would have to find the right color to match my eyeliner. That's not easy. As we all know.

(2) It would ruffle my wrist hair and wear away the coloring that covers the gray. Not good. At all.

(3) I might not be able to swizzle the very last drop of my chocolate martini out of the glass if the wrist band rotates and gets in the way.

(4) Swimming my three mile laps would be reduced to 2.5 miles due to the added drag of the wrist band.

(5) I'm almost sure they are color coded according to stateroom level. Imagine having a retailer on a port stop know that you're an 'inside cabiner'. The horror as they walk by you to a suite passenger wearing the azure blue band.

(6) Ships officers would know and you would NOT be invited to the Captain's dinner. Not that we ever have been. But, hey, one never knows, right?

(7) The wrist bands don't allow extra points for shuffleboard. Why bother?

(8) The wrist bands do NOT take the place of the PFDs (personal flotation devices) in the case we have to do an emergency disembarkment with seven short blasts and one long blast. They will sink with the wearer. But the recovery team will know where to find you. That's a good thing.

(9) You will NOT get extra bacon for wearing the wrist band.

(10) There is no chance at all that you will get extra wifi on your wristband. But it will unlock your stateroom door.

 

Maybe it's not really a bad idea.

And don't forget different color wrist bands for the different Capitan Club tier levels. That way the staff can quickly identify who are the superior club members. Added value for the staff. That way they'll know who to cater to the most at a quick glance. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the " I hope - I sincierly , hope not,  fraction! For all the reasons K12Guy stated- bravo- and more! I don´t even wear my watch on my holidays- so I do not want to be bothered with an ugly wristband- looks like a cheap All inclusive Club ( oh well...) !

Looks like Kettle on the march to the slaughter house! LOL!

If X comes up with such I hope one can choose between card and band..! Aaaaaah and I  never- ever-  not in my wildest dreams would want to wear my cruise card around my neck all day long.

If I am at the stage where I am in danger to loose my card all the time I stay home in my nice comfy nursing home! LOL!

Edited by Germancruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, davekathy said:

And don't forget different color wrist bands for the different Capitan Club tier levels. That way the staff can quickly identify who are the superior club members. Added value for the staff. That way they'll know who to cater to the most at a quick glance. 

Absolutely. I had a bad case of brain fade on that one. We all know how important "Elite" status is. I can only hope that one day I too can be Elite. Maybe a soft mauve for Elite? Or Antiseptic Gray to match the walls of the newly Revolted ships?

Edited by K12Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how the wrist bands would give the cruise lines any more data than they already get from the sea pass card.  We already use the card to get on and off the ship, get into our cabin and make purchases.  They already ask our cabin number (or scan our card) when we're seated in a restaurant.  What additional data would the bands collect? 

Edited by CruisinCrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't cruised on Princess in many years, but they would indicate your loyalty level on your cabin entry. Don't know if they still do this. Why not stop worrying or commenting about petty things like other people's cabins and loyalty status and just enjoy your cruise? I'm at the in the top tier at Celebrity, the middle tier on RCCL, Princess and NCL and the bottom of everything else. As I said earlier in this thread: It doesn't matter what line I'm on since I'm cruising!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Orator said:

I haven't cruised on Princess in many years, but they would indicate your loyalty level on your cabin entry. Don't know if they still do this. Why not stop worrying or commenting about petty things like other people's cabins and loyalty status and just enjoy your cruise? I'm at the in the top tier at Celebrity, the middle tier on RCCL, Princess and NCL and the bottom of everything else. As I said earlier in this thread: It doesn't matter what line I'm on since I'm cruising!

I don't know if they do that but they DO have you full names on your door!  We sailed on the Regal last November and had a WONDERFUL time but thought it odd that they did this, what with the entire world's issue with privacy and all...  We didn't care, it was just different than any other ship I've been on!  But I agree with your last sentence completely.....:classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have to stick the medallion in my pocket.  I don't wear a watch (use a carabiner watch) because I hate having something around my wrist.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have enjoyed 8 cruises on Celebrity and 6 more on other lines, all of them except 2in various suites. I always wear my seapass on a lanyard. I didn't know until reading this thread, that it was frowned upon by people. Am a bad or uncouth person?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, misspuss said:

I have enjoyed 8 cruises on Celebrity and 6 more on other lines, all of them except 2in various suites. I always wear my seapass on a lanyard. I didn't know until reading this thread, that it was frowned upon by people. Am a bad or uncouth person?

Don't worry what others think. If that's your preference, that's all that matters. We don't like to wear the lanyards or fanny packs. We also wouldn't pay for the wrist band either. Personal preference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, misspuss said:

I have enjoyed 8 cruises on Celebrity and 6 more on other lines, all of them except 2in various suites. I always wear my seapass on a lanyard. I didn't know until reading this thread, that it was frowned upon by people. Am a bad or uncouth person?

Remember it is your vacation.just enjoy and do what best for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no- nobody is offended when one likes to wear his or her cruise card in a lanyard- it is just no for me! Each has his one taste´s or preferences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, misspuss said:

I have enjoyed 8 cruises on Celebrity and 6 more on other lines, all of them except 2in various suites. I always wear my seapass on a lanyard. I didn't know until reading this thread, that it was frowned upon by people. Am a bad or uncouth person?

Not a big deal. I see folks with their sea pass cards around their neck. Not my preference, but no one cares about my preference. That said, sail on. Have fun. Don't worry, be happy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, misspuss said:

I have enjoyed 8 cruises on Celebrity and 6 more on other lines, all of them except 2in various suites. I always wear my seapass on a lanyard. I didn't know until reading this thread, that it was frowned upon by people. Am a bad or uncouth person?

 

Definitely not judging you for wearing a lanyard....I just will not do so myself, or I would feel as though I am at some work conference, and I do not want that feeling lol.  That is on ME, not anyone else.  Cruise and enjoy however....even wearing a plastic wristband that you bought if you decide that is your preference in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...