World Cruise 2019 Queen Victoria

roscoe39

1 hour ago, roscoe39 said:

Im afraid I upset Dragana last night at dinner thanks Bluemarble, she was upset I knew the Itin for 2019 and she didn't! so thanks for that bit of oneupmanship!

grey day today on board but im sure it will clear up. Big crew drills so it will be a day of reading books beside the pool as we travel closer to Samoa.

Ooops, hope Dragana doesn't catch up with this post (  I know she looks in) otherwise you'll be made to walk the plank .    

On 2/11/2019 at 3:19 PM, maggiemou said:

Hi Roscoe 39. Caught up with your wonderful blogs. Enjoying them very much as I always do. Thanks for letting us all cruise along with you. X

i met him once on a cunard cruise.........ya know he looks just like his picture 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:07 AM, newjoisey said:

i met him once on a cunard cruise.........ya know he looks just like his picture 

all smoke and Mirrors I assure you.

Samoa today, it was meant to be raining but to behest maybe the rain is being evaporated before it hits the ground as it is in the high 80's.  Most of the ship has gone out contours though after my nice long walk this morning I found the crew and those in the know at Aggie Greys soaking up the atmosphere around the pool and in the bars.

Thats the last thing we need more of ....alchohol. The ship is struggling with the air-conditioning today now that Im back on board, Im not surprised.

Looking forward to Sir Tony Robinson giving his lecture series from Auckland - some may know him as Baldrick and we are hoping he is bringing his Black adder stories with him.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:07 AM, newjoisey said:

Another Sea Day as Dawns with a sea as calm as a mill pond.

We had another medivac  last night, just as the ship was readying to pull out, the couple involved walked off so that was a change from some of the other evacs we have had. I'm pleased to say also that the gentleman vac'ed out of Aruba by Helicopter arrived back on board this week so is able to continue on through the world cruise....so it is possible to come back after all.

Have a booking for the dining under the stars tonight, i was up there last night and the atmosphere is very relaxed - the MD looking after them is a bit of a character, I think it will be more "hold onto your hats it will be a bumpy ride" than "Basil Fawlty", it seems very relaxed and looking forward to it.

Will be trying the Verandah in a couple of days, Ive heard good reports about it but most people doubt that it will continue as they feel it is not in keeping with what they are looking for. time will tell.

Music around the ship continues to be of a high standard, the food very good,  the ship is in really good condition and have only noticed a few spots of wear and tear on the carpet and that was only because i was sitting on the stairs at the time (using the internet). Yes...the internet, my only gripe but it is still usable, and I have not used all my allocated minutes yet so it is a time management thing. I  wouldn't let it spoil your trip.

I would say 98% of passengers adhere to the dress code and the same amount adhere to the human code of civility. There was a bit of yelling in the commodore club last night with a gentleman wha had definitely had too much pimms, apparently. I felt sorry for those crew trying to deal with the situation. Luckily the Captain and Hotel Manager had left minutes before hand or there could have been consequences. Blog updated if any one is interest. Roscoe

• Like 1

Roscoe,

I have been following your blog, and I really have been enjoying reading it.  You are a very good writer!   The way you describe your experiences is amazing.  You really make make me wish I was on a World Cruise.  Maybe someday!  I hope you continue to have a wonderful trip.

Doug

Love reading your blog Roscoe.  Thanks for keetping us entertained throughout your voyage.

I see Desiree has had a promotion and thoroughly deserved it is too.   She looked after the four of us admirably as our main waiter in PG in Oct 2017 in the Med.  Here's our photo with her.

IMG_20171021_092255.jpg

thanks guys, Deseree is a character and I felt sorry that for all her effort the restaurant isn't that full and it certainly isn't her fault. I think Cunard should rethink the flash expensive option nd go back to its cheap and cheerful red and white checked table cloth edition.

Just leaving Tonga, we have been entertained by some very ...ummmm...attractive....dancers. Pics on the blog. Our lovely Irish El Capitane is jsut whimsically announcing our departure, we are becoming very adept at translating that irish brogue.

I had a delightful read this morning! Thanks for your blog!

The one thing I want to ask is about Fencing... we were looking quite forward to fencing.

I was disappointed to read that there were no classes.

Do you know if this is a change on all of the ships?

(Not to say that Zumba is not an incredible form of exercise- it is my class of choice on a regular basis at home... but the thought of fencing on the ship has really appealed to us)

Hoping for fencing on our Queen Elizabeth voyage later this year... crossing fingers!

Fencing and/or Fencing Lessons  will be scheduled as a daily onboard  activity, 'Only'  if there is member of the entertainment/sports team onboard who hold the required qualifications and experience to take this class.  This activity is  often hit and miss and is not always available on every cruise/voyage.  In other words, fencing onboard Cunard has not been discontinued, it all depends on crew contacts  ie; those who have the qualifications to instruct maybe on leave.  😊    

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Fencing and/or Fencing Lessons  will be scheduled as a daily onboard  activity, 'Only'  if there is member of the entertainment/sports team onboard who hold the required qualifications and experience to take this class.  This activity is  often hit and miss and is not always available on every cruise/voyage.  In other words, fencing onboard Cunard has not been discontinued, it all depends on crew contacts  ie; those who have the qualifications to instruct maybe on leave.  😊    

thanks Bellboy, that is pretty well confirmed this morning when I asked. 

We had the same issue in November on Victoria, Fencing was replaced by Zumba, which was a shame. I'm curious to know if the gym refit has gone ahead and all the old broken gym equipment has been replaced? - it was a sorry looking area with treadmills out of position and half the bikes not working.

https://blog.rakkor.uk

9 hours ago, rakkor said:

We had the same issue in November on Victoria, Fencing was replaced by Zumba, which was a shame. I'm curious to know if the gym refit has gone ahead and all the old broken gym equipment has been replaced? - it was a sorry looking area with treadmills out of position and half the bikes not working.

https://blog.rakkor.uk

yes the gym is full of new equipment....frankly Im not fond of the cables, I prefer the fixed type of weight machine. as an aside,  I had forgotten that they were making the pools shallower on board and was pleasantly surprised when I got in the rear pool yesterday to find it the original depth. It makes a big difference. At least they only made one of the pools so shallow.

Edited by roscoe39

Back in the land of the Long White Cloud and it is living up to its expectations.....its cloudy! Most people are off the ship today and we leave around 10pm. Did the steakhouse last night, have posted the menu and some pictures of the food on the blog. It was actually a very nice experience, the service and food were as high as you would expect and I wouldn't hesitate going back. Definitely worth giving it a go.

Small changeover on the ship tomorrow and about 800 in sydney.

Some one asked about the world cruise lounge, its very popular, it has taken up about half of the Wintergarden and then they open it up to other people about 6pm. 

This sectors world cruise party was the other night and i have also posted some pics on the blog as well.

Wonderful thing about the trip this year is that I have heard very few complaints or moaning this year which has been nicely refreshing. Hopefully it is because there is little to moan about rather than the moaners are not  on board..lol

1 hour ago, roscoe39 said:

Wonderful thing about the trip this year is that I have heard very few complaints or moaning this year which has been nicely refreshing. Hopefully it is because there is little to moan about rather than the moaners are not  on board..lol

I think either option is a positive.

Roy

Loving the blog Roscoe. Log on every day for your next instalment. As someone who needs the internet to keep in contact with family, is it really slow? I thought after our cruise in 2016 Cunard were going to install some sort of super fast speed?

Cheryle

1 hour ago, resordanis said:

Loving the blog Roscoe. Log on every day for your next instalment. As someone who needs the internet to keep in contact with family, is it really slow? I thought after our cruise in 2016 Cunard were going to install some sort of super fast speed?

Cheryle

it has been a little slow Cheryle but to be honest it also depends on where int eh world you are. It is always a bit dodgy around the states for some reason and particularly from SF to Hawai, then in the pacific it seems to speed up. A lot to do with the number of satellites and a lot to do with your time management. I download pictures when I know people will be off line, and I also if I am having problems know where in the ship the internet has a better hit rate.

I dont think that it has improved so not sure about the super fast feed thing you speak of, i doubt that it has been installed, i know a new satellite was installed on the ship recently but I dont think it affected the passengers experience...

Hi Roscoe -

I just check these boards once in a while, and I only see today that you decided to hop on board the QV after all! Good for you!  We will be getting on in Sydney and going to Southampton, so we will not be on board at the same time, unfortunately.  Oh well. Just read your blog and enjoyed it immensely. I am not much of a writer, wish I could be as pithy as you. Anyway, enjoy your last few days on the boat!

Sue from the US of A

11 hours ago, pamperedsue said:

Hi Roscoe -

I just check these boards once in a while, and I only see today that you decided to hop on board the QV after all! Good for you!  We will be getting on in Sydney and going to Southampton, so we will not be on board at the same time, unfortunately.  Oh well. Just read your blog and enjoyed it immensely. I am not much of a writer, wish I could be as pithy as you. Anyway, enjoy your last few days on the boat!

Sue from the US of A

thanks, it has been a good trip and I feel much better for doing it. Apparently I looked a little grey when I got onboard, so the rest has been just what the cardiologist ordered. Today is certainly one to make one feel alive, the Tasman is living up to her reputation and although the sun is out, the decks are closed and the surf is up. Ive got the biggest smile on my face but there are some looking a little dodgy.

Bring it on I say, its good to be alive!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

PS. it was with great pleasure I was able fill out my comments cards this morning. Most of it was marked a genuine excellent with the exception of some of the activities staff who wouldn't know how to smile if their lives depended on it. They have been the standout disappointment, everything else has been up to expectations and some exceeding it, Including...the steakhouse experiment and the way they have melded the refit decorations with the original Queen Victoria style. 

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 2