Well done Princess

We are just back from a 12 NZ cruise on the Majestic Princess. My 92 yr old dad always complains about something on cruises except Azamara. This was their final cruise and they were in A736 Aft balcony. The balcony was covered in soot and wasn’t cleaned by the cabin steward. Dad put in a complaint to guest services and they were given $375 each OBC. 

I will be hitting this up with the snipping tool and taking a screen grab. It might come in useful at a later date for double standards. Just on another thread someone had a bad cruise because their cabin supposedly had no air conditioning and got no help, apology or anything. You get money for something extremely trivial. I might just send this directly to the customer relations team in Australia and ask what their opinion is of this one.

5 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I will be hitting this up with the snipping tool and taking a screen grab. It might come in useful at a later date for double standards. Just on another thread someone had a bad cruise because their cabin supposedly had no air conditioning and got no help, apology or anything. You get money for something extremely trivial. I might just send this directly to the customer relations team in Australia and ask what their opinion is of this one.

Or you could just shut up and be happy that Princess did something nice for a 92 year old gentleman.

Why have  people always got the attitude..what's in in for me..... cruiselines do not go out of their way to make things difficult for guests  They must get sick and tired of trying to placate the whingers who just want something for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Or you could just shut up and be happy that Princess did something nice for a 92 year old gentleman.

Why have  people always got the attitude..what's in in for me..... cruiselines do not go out of their way to make things difficult for guests  They must get sick and tired of trying to placate the whingers who just want something for nothing.

Your response is nothing more than disgraceful once again.

I do not want anything from Princess. I do not want them giving credit to people who do not deserve it.

I do want Princess to repair, maintain and keep the standards up on their ships. If something is reported wrong then they should fix it instead of denying there is a problem.

I do not care how old the person is. The poor little darlings getting cash for having soot on their balcony is nothing but an insult to all their loyal passengers. I would hate to think what they would have gotten for albatross poop or salt spray!

There may well be more to the story. Or it may be someone overreaching their authority. Or a host of other things.

But good luck with the argument "Someone on internet got something, so I should get more." On a completely different ship. At a different time. With a different issue. And good luck getting a corporate's "opinion" of something... something tells me you don't have much experience dealing with large businesses.

Let us know how you go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gbenjo said:

I do so agree with you.  Someone posts about an unexpected and nice gesture, and so follows the "what's in it for me?" comments. (Or just in case I need to complain.)

And you are told your response is disgraceful?  Be happy, as you have said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Port Power said:

I do so agree with you.  Someone posts about an unexpected and nice gesture, and so follows the "what's in it for me?" comments. (Or just in case I need to complain.)

And you are told your response is disgraceful?  Be happy, as you have said.

You are totally incorrect and totally wrong with baseless assumptions.

It is never about "what's in it for me" It is about putting a stop to frivolous serial pests and complainers getting compensation for non-issues. All this does is drive down the quality of the product, drives down the enjoyment of the cruise and when things really do go wrong it makes management more defensive and dismissive of problems. This effects all of us.

I want Princess to be a good cruise line that delivers a good holiday, has ships in excellent condition and treats everyone equally and if they have problems fix them.

The very fist line says it all. "always complaining about something" except on Azamara!!!!!, the man is a serial pest, a vexatious complainer who did not deserve anything at all. I am disgusted that such a pest would get such a payout for a non issue. He must have a doctorate in making complaints to extract that much out of them. Absolutely disgusting. 

11 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

There may well be more to the story. Or it may be someone overreaching their authority. Or a host of other things.

But good luck with the argument "Someone on internet got something, so I should get more." On a completely different ship. At a different time. With a different issue. And good luck getting a corporate's "opinion" of something... something tells me you don't have much experience dealing with large businesses.

Let us know how you go.

I am rich enough as it is. I do not need anything financial from Princess. It is disappointing to see this when just the other week a couple or group had a bad cruise due to faulty air conditioning and then this week someone who by their own admission is a serial complainer gets rewarded for a non-issue.

At the end of the day I trust they spent all their obc, such largesse by Princess, must have been a generous person in Princess Customer Relations.  But good luck to them, he complained and got compensation, there would be precedents.

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

At the end of the day I trust they spent all their obc, such largesse by Princess, must have been a generous person in Princess Customer Relations.  But good luck to them, he complained and got compensation, there would be precedents.

It is also a well documented fact that the Royal Class ships suffer ongoing problems from soot on aft balconies. Knowing that information in advance could be very helpful when selecting a cabin in order to seek compensation particularly when by their own admission they are a serial complainer.

I have also recently returned from a NZ cruise on Majestic, also in an aft cabin although on a lower deck. 

On a handful of occasions there were a few spots of soot visible on our balcony table. These were promptly taken care of by our steward without being asked. There were small ‘drifts’ of soot in the corners by the divider but they came and went. We used a couple of the pool towels on our chairs, just in case. 

All in all it was the best positioned cabin I have ever had - the wake view is the best - and I would hate anyone to be put off by these soot stories.

I find it more annoying when they have run out of a particular wine and there’s no compensation for that!

13 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

It is also a well documented fact that the Royal Class ships suffer ongoing problems from soot on aft balconies. Knowing that information in advance could be very helpful when selecting a cabin in order to seek compensation particularly when by their own admission they are a serial complainer.

Documented where though?  I was considering an aft balcony for an upcoming cruise, and I just happened to stumble upon this post and another on the Princess board talking about the soot issue.  I'd read through these forums prior to my last 2 cruises and hadn't seen any mention of it - so unless the cruise line has some warning about it, or you happen to see people talking about it, it would be very easy to not know it was an issue, book a cabin and be disappointed.

9 hours ago, Calabazar said:

I have also recently returned from a NZ cruise on Majestic, also in an aft cabin although on a lower deck. 

On a handful of occasions there were a few spots of soot visible on our balcony table. These were promptly taken care of by our steward without being asked. There were small ‘drifts’ of soot in the corners by the divider but they came and went. We used a couple of the pool towels on our chairs, just in case. 

All in all it was the best positioned cabin I have ever had - the wake view is the best - and I would hate anyone to be put off by these soot stories.

I find it more annoying when they have run out of a particular wine and there’s no compensation for that!

The balcony was covered in soot and wasn’t cleaned. They couldn’t use the balcony.

We were on Royal last year in Europe, had a mid aft mini suite, no soot problems.  Next year on Majestic also a 'Royal Class' ship, have a mid forward mini on Riviera Deck.

People who take the Guarantee cabins, i.e. no cabin number until just before sailing, run the risk of being allocated aft balconies, too late to change then.  The ships are nearly always full.  Personally I would never take a 'G'tee cabin, I like to pick my own, that is why we always book early.

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

We were on Royal last year in Europe, had a mid aft mini suite, no soot problems.  Next year on Majestic also a 'Royal Class' ship, have a mid forward mini on Riviera Deck.

People who take the Guarantee cabins, i.e. no cabin number until just before sailing, run the risk of being allocated aft balconies, too late to change then.  The ships are nearly always full.  Personally I would never take a 'G'tee cabin, I like to pick my own, that is why we always book early.

NSWP,  cruisine21 was referring to one of the six balconies along the stern of the Majestic Princess, not just one of the balconies that are described as aft or mid aft. 

Leigh

17 hours ago, possum52 said:

NSWP,  cruisine21 was referring to one of the six balconies along the stern of the Majestic Princess, not just one of the balconies that are described as aft or mid aft. 

Leigh

Noted, thanks Leigh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calabazar said:

Why not simply ask for it to be cleaned? Ah, no possibility of ‘compensation’ then 😏

That's probably what his daughter meant when her father went to Guest Services to complain.  He complained the balcony had not been cleaned by the cabin steward.  (I know what is coming next.  Yes, I also would have spoken to my cabin steward first giving him a chance to make good rather than risk him getting into trouble,)

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

As far as I am aware cabin stewards are not responsible for the cleaning of outside areas. I have only ever seen this done by maintenance staff. Sounds fishy to me,

Our balconies have always been kept tidy by the cabin steward - chairs packed up at night etc and I have seen stewards wiping down the balcony rails and the chairs & table.

Leigh